Claudine and Annie (1903)

by Colette

Series: Claudine (4)

THE STORIES THAT INSPIRED THE FILM COLETTE, out Jan 2019.In this final novel in Colette's famous series it is Claudine's friend Annie who tells the story in the form of a private diary. Claudine is happily settled with her adored husband Renaud, spending her time giving wide and worldly advice to despairing Annie, whose life with the boring and dominating Alain is set to dramatically change. With the help of Claudine, Annie takes steps to empower her own life, a life away from her husband.Though Colette's intoxicating series of novels emerges a portrait of Claudine an intelligent, modern woman whose life is always honest, passionate and inspiring.… (more)

‘Claudine and Annie’ (1903), the fourth and final installment in Colette’s ‘Claudine’ series, starts off interestingly enough, with a new narrator, Annie, a young woman recently married to a man who has just gone away to Argentina to tend to family business. He’s on the domineering and serious side, and has left her with detailed instructions, among which are to minimize visits with Claudine and her husband, Renaud. It’s interesting to see Claudine from another’s perspective and in glimpses, but the character who shows up more in the novel is Annie’s sister-in-law Marthe, who is meant to help take care of her, but who has her own shortcomings.

There is the customary titillation, Mathe having a ‘shapely, provocative behind’ (which I giggled at later when it was described as ‘impudent and deeply-dimpled’), Renaud observing of Annie, ‘When she raises her eyelids it’s as if she were taking off her clothes’, and Claudine ‘dazzling me with her eyes, bright as a wild animal’s and suddenly so dominating that I closed my own, overwhelmed…’, but the book is a little more tame than the others. It’s interesting to read about Annie taking ether for migraines (yikes), and the ‘douche/spa’ treatment Marthe undergoes. It’s a short novel but drags a little in the middle. I did like how Claudine helps Annie to find her own voice, and to realize she has control over her life. As Colette would separate from Willy two years later, the book seems meaningful and a good way of ending the series. ( )
1 vote gbill | Jan 23, 2017 |
liked this one much better. very little claudine whom i don't enjoy. ( )
  mahallett | May 21, 2016 |

Coletteprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Il est parti !
He has gone! He has gone! I keep saying those words to myself; now I am writing them down on paper to find out if they are true and if they are going to hurt me.
Published in English as Claudine and Annie.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,286,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible