Death of a Valentine by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Valentine (2010)

by M. C. Beaton

The Highlands are celebrating police sergeant Hamish Macbeth's engagement to fellow constable Josie McSween. However, Hamish himself is miserable and is lamenting his looming wedding date. Consequently, Macbeth recounts the events that led up to his betrothal, including a woman who was murdered with a booby-trapped Valentine's Day gift.… (more)

English (28)  Piratical (1)  All languages (29)
Hoping for a Highland Adam Dalgliesh, I found instead a sort of Highland Inspector Clouseau. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
The Lammas Queen has been brutally murdered with a exploding Valentine...Hamish has a new deputy, Josie McSween, under him and she is hell bent on marrying him (the man of her dreams).

Hamish does his best to keep her far away from him and busy with her duties and she is equally busy daydreaming and conniving....she WILL marry Hamish No Matter What.

This was a quick and enjoyable read.... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This only the second book of the Hamish Macbeth Mystery series that I have had read so far. I love this book. I am sure that the other one that I read was written after this one because it mentions what happens in this book. I remember not understanding why Hamish Macbeth did what he did. But now I do and I agree totally with his actions!

M.C. Beaton make me laugh so much, there are dark murders in this story but only this author could make a mystery so funny. It all starts with Hamish Macbeth about to be married and wishing there was something that could save him. Then there is a flashback and you learn the whole story. Even though he would rather work by himself, a new constable will be arriving to work with him. He doesn’t know that Josie McSween has wormed her way into the job and totally wrapped up with an overly romantic idea of Hamish Macbeth. That she has plans to marry him and have his children. She pictures herself as the perfect heroine as if in a romance. She is also a manipulator and will go to the deep end to trap him.
Of course that is not all, a beautiful young woman is murdered. As Hamish and Josie work on the case, they find out it is no wonder that this beauty queen was taken out.

This book is not for the truly timid cozy reader. There are short scenes of violence, and a true darkness of character so pass it up if you cannot take that. But it was perfect for me. I loved the humor, the twists and turns of the murder mystery and Hamish Macbeth’s big problem, the wee policewoman who will stop at nothing to marry him. I loved his cat and dog, both faithful to Hamish. I cannot think of anything I did not like!

I highly recommend this dark and funny mystery. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 12, 2015 |
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Mystery/2010/Grand Central Publishing/246 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #26 Hamish Macbeth series
CHARACTERS AUTHOR: Hamish Macbeth police sergeant in Lochdubhh
TIME/PLACE 2010 / village of Lochdubbh in the Scottish Highlands
FIRST LINES Hamish Macbeth had promoted to Sergeant.
COMMENTS: Now that Hamish has been promoted, he is offered the services of an assistant. Josie McSween is the new constable and has decided she will do anything to catch Hamish and marry him. They are working together to solve the valentine case -- a young lass in a nearby village has received a valentine but it is a letter bomb that kills her. Hamish is not interested in Josie professionally or personally but Josie is determined. He almost makes it to the altar … until Elspeth does some of her own detective work on Josie. Love this series. ( )
  pammykn | Dec 10, 2015 |
I was just going to read for a bit before I went to bed and I picked up "Death of a Valentine". I have enjoyed all the books I've read by Beaton. I love how she mixes up the odd romantic twists and the plotting women and clueless Hamish and the odd Scottish characters and the murder plots, all jumbled together in her wry way. I ended up gobbling it up in 3 hours. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
To Minerva

My temples throb, my pulses boil,

I'm sick of Song and Ode and Ballad —

So, Thyrisis, take the Midnight Oil

And pour it on a lobster salad.

My brain is dull, my sight is foul,

I cannot write a verse or read —

Then, Pallas, take away thine Owl,

And let us have a lark instead.

——Thomas Hood
For my husband, Harry Scott Gibbons.
And my agent Barbara Lowenstein.
With love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,916,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible