Magic Steps by Tamora Pierce

This quartet follows the four young mages from the Circle of Magic quartet as they go their separate ways and take on first students on their own. Briar, Daja, and Tris all go to distant lands and Tamora Pierce has some pretty interesting world building going on in these novels, which was really fun to read.

In the Circle of Magic quartet, Daja's Book and Briar's Book were by far and away my favorites, and I was pleased that this time I loved Daja's, Briar's, AND Tris's stories. My favorite new place was definitely Namorn (Daja's book, Cold Fire), and my favorite plot line was Tris's in Shatterglass.

Where the Circle of Magic quarter seemed to focus more on natural disasters and issues in a scale of mass destruction (forest fires, plagues, earth quakes, pirate attacks...), in this quartet Tammy turns her hand to what I can only relate to cozy mysteries. Each book has a sort of double-plot of each kid teaching their new student (or students), while also solving, helping to solve, or being somehow affected by strings of murders. Don't know if Tammy got her serial killer research on and felt inspired or what, but they definitely made for some interesting reading. Another really interesting part of these books was the explanation of the new crafts, especially the well-researched and beautifully detailed descriptions of glass-blowing in Shatterglass.

I was happy to see Tammy's writing has continued to improve over the years, and these books were much less painful than last month's of the Tortall books, but then again I was also reading these books for the first time, so getting caught up in the new stories could have been a part of that.

Reading these books has made me look forward again to seeing what Tamora Pierce will come up with next! =) ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Sandry becomes a teacher - you would expect it to be an easy task, but when it comes to the quartet of mages, even when they aren't together, you know something is going to happen. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Four years after the magical plague swept their city in [b:Briar's Story|11105647|Briar Rose; The Story of the Sleeping Beauty|Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nocover/60x80.png|16027836], the magical students of Winding Circle have separated to pursue further training. Sandry, whose gift lies in weaving magic as though it were thread, discovers a boy with a strange ability. Unlike ordinary mages, he has to dance to do magic. Everyone else in his family is a harrier (the city's version of police), but Sandry convinces them to let him train with her.

Meanwhile, a feud between merchant clans leads to murder, as assassins descend upon the city. The assassins are using a terrifying form of un-magic, and even Sandry's weaving magic is hard-pressed to deal with it.

Sandry isn't 10 years old any longer, and her inner voice is more mature. The portions of this book that deal with her and her magic are wonderful reads. The parts concerning Pasco are less so. Pasco is trained in investigation and law-enforcement, but when the mysterious murders begin, he has nothing to do with the plot. He mostly trains off-page, and does nothing at the climax of the action. I think this would have been a much better book if it was told from his perspective. His training with the dancers and struggle between family expectations and personal dreams would have come across a lot more strongly. Plus, seeing familiar characters through the eyes of a stranger always adds a zing to the narrative. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
I really loved this book. Sandry is truly coming into her own, although it is clear that she is only 14. I liked the way magic was portrayed. It's both creative and makes in-universe sense.
And what I really loved was the things we do and that are done to us leave marks behind.
The only thing which wasn't done so well was her pupil. I didn't really get a grasp of him. ( )
  ThadyMiller | Jan 7, 2015 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parisi, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TheronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anne.
This book - this quartet - would probably never have been written if not for you.
Lady Sandrilene fa Toren opened the door to her room and stepped into the dark corridor.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590396056, Mass Market Paperback)

"'Magic? Me, do magic?' Magic was a thing of schools and books. No proper Acalon did magic. 'Oh, no--please, you're mistaken, my lady. I'm no mage.'

Sandry met his eyes squarely. 'You just danced a magical working, Pasco Acalon. I am never mistaken about such things.'"

Four years after we last saw the young mages Sandry, Tris, Daja, and Briar in the Circle of Magic quartet, Sandry is back. Now 14 years old, she is helping her great-uncle, Duke Vedris IV, ruler of Emelan, recover after a heart attack. But there's no rest for the weary mage. A mysterious murderer is afoot, and it quickly becomes clear that Sandry and her reluctant young protégé, Pasco, are the only ones who can stop the killings. Unfortunately, Pasco comes from a long line of harriers, or provost's guards, and his burly family does not think highly of a boy who dances magical spells. It takes some fancy footwork to convince Pasco of the need for his special brand of magic, and Sandry is just the girl for the job.

This first title in Tamora Pierce's new series, The Circle Opens, will thrill fans of her terrifically popular previous books, including The Circle of Magic quartet and The Song of the Lioness quartet. With her spellbinding choreography of wit, gore, and intrigue, Pierce never takes a false step. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:04 -0400)

When drawn into the investigation of murders perpetrated on a powerful family in Summersea, Sandy and her student Pasco undertake the dangerous mission of entrapping the invisible killers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,156,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible