HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon

by Crockett Johnson

Series: Harold and the Purple Crayon (treasury)

With his purple crayon, Harold goes for an adventurous walk in the moonlight, draws his way into an enchanted garden troubled by a giant witch, rockets to the sky, and tries all the acts in a circus.

In this book, Harold goes on a journey and has an adventure that he creates by drawing his surroundings using a purple crayon. He draws the landscape and various objects he needs, such as an air balloon when he is falling in space or a boat when he is in the ocean.

This book can help students build text to illustration connections as everything Harold does is depicted in the illustrations. Students might also practice predicting what Harold might draw next on his adventure. I might also have students make connections to their own life--what adventures do they dream of having--and have them create and illustrate their own journey using a crayon.
  sso14 | Jul 23, 2016 |
Armed with his purple crayon, Harold goes on a journey of wonder and discover as he pieces together his own little world that he draws himself. This story is a cute story geared to younger children to foster creativity and exploration of their own world. One thing that you notice when reading this story is that it is a great way to introduce prediction, for the whole book is about what would be next logically. This is a great way for children to understand that things have an order and a progression; much like Harold discovers and this is relatable to young students and children. A good example of this would be what he falls into the water he then draws a boat, and realizes that he won’t go anywhere without a sail, and that won’t work without wind and the water moving. The art work of the book is simple shapes and can be easily differentiated and can simple be reproduced, but they are also drawn accurately. The other thing I would like to point out that the book has several stories about Harold so children can enjoy different adventures rather than just a single one, and all of his journeys are unique. ( )
  drhode3 | Mar 6, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Oct 24, 2012 |
Harold and the Purple Crayon has always been one of my favorite children’s stories so when I found this collection, I couldn’t resist.

Not only does it contain the original story, but three others for enjoyment. It was so much fun to read on an early morning for the read-a-thon and I can’t wait to share it with my future kids and family.
  blondierocket | Jun 27, 2011 |
This edition has four stories about Harold and his purple crayon. The first is the classic, "Harold and the Purple Crayon," and tells the story of Harold taking his purple crayon for a walk. Harold creates his adventures as he goes with his trusty crayon providing just what he needs. Very cute story with some fun puns, e.g., Harold drew up the covers.

The other three stories--"Harold's Fairy Tale," "Harold's Trip to the Sky," and "Harold's Circus"--all use the same premise of Harold drawing his adventures. My kids have enjoyed most of these stories, but "Harold's Trip to the Sky" is their least favorite. I think it is a combination of the pictures on a dark colored background with a somewhat scary alien included. I highly recommend the other stories for little ones. ( )
  xuesheng | Jan 22, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,028,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible