Pro Git by Scott Chacon

Pro Git

by Scott Chacon

193961,059 (3.9)None

English (7)  Hungarian (2)  All (9)
I have watched some videos about Git, but learning Git by reading this book has provided me with a lot of information. The first three chapters provide the common Git commands that you'll use daily. The images used in the chapters throughout the book help in understanding the concepts better.

The chapter on GitHub simulates a develop activities and I was able to correlate very well with my work.

There are chapters that talk about the advanced git commands and their gotchas. The last chapter talks about Git internals like how Git actually stores the files and what happens internally when the common commands are run.

I'm not sure of purchasing this book as it is freely available here: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2. ( )
  nmarun | Nov 25, 2015 |
A reasonably clear introduction and explanation of git. The first part does a good job at explaining things for new users, and is especially good at pointing out saner ways to do things that were added in recent versions of git. It seemed to cover most of the stuff I've learned the hard way, and I found one or two new things. The only glaring omission is it didn't seem to cover git reset at all.

The chapter on managing a project with git covered problems I'm just starting to encounter, so was appreciated. The section on subprojects showed all their many warts; candor appreciated. The coverage of subtree merging was entirely new to me and very interesting to see. The final chapter on internals does a good job of really getting down and dirty at both the git database and wire protocol levels.

The only things I didn't like were some slightly shady bits of sysadmin advice. In at least two places the user is advised to set up things in an insecure way. (I hope to get these corrected.) In other places the user is walked through cloning a project from git and manually installing it -- even though apt-get is used to install other things on sometimes the same page. ( )
  joeyreads | Apr 3, 2013 |
Bit short on character development, but that one sex scene was pretty hot.
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Excellent introduction to git. Clear and concise. The entire book is available verbatim online, but buy the book anyway. They deserve the money. ( )
  billmcn | Jan 17, 2011 |
Best Git book I've read so far
  alecclews | Jan 6, 2011 |

"Programmers or project leaders will learn to use Git, the version control system developed by Linus Torvalds for Linux kernel development. You'll discover the world of distributed version control and learn how to build a Git development workflow, with expert guidance from Scott Chacon"--Resource description page.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,600,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible