The City of Shifting Waters by Jean-Claude…

The City of Shifting Waters (1968)

by Jean-Claude Mézières (Illustrator), Pierre Christin (Author)

Other authors: Evelyn Tran-Lé (Colourist)

Series: Valerian (1), Valérian et Laureline (1)

English (4)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (6)
Valerian and his assistant Laureline, as spatio-time agents, “patrol both history and the universe to safeguard Earth and its empire” from the city Galaxity in the 24th century. They go back to 1986 New York City to recapture an evil escaped scientist. The three couldn’t have picked a worst time, for (as we seem to have forgotten) that was just after the polar ice cap got nuked and the ensuing flooding replaced civilization with a dark age. Our heroes have adventures in the Manhattan Waterworld, then follow the villain to a secret lab atop Yellowstone. They find an ally, a captive scientist who looks like Jerry Lewis in “The Nutty Professor,” and of course save the day after more adventures.
I cursed myself as I started to read as I realized how corny and adolescent the story and characters were. I eventually chilled and enjoyed, thanks to the colorful and charming art and the sly humor built into the characterizations and the plot. (Jerry Lewis, heh.) I don’t think I will read more, but I might buy it for the library. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Sep 2, 2018 |
Amusing story, reasonably well displayed on an iPad kindle app, but printing is much too small to be seen on a cell phone. For any readability on a phone, it needs to be viewed one cell at a time rather than one page.

I'd forgotten how silly comics can be. Previewed this for appropriateness for a ten-year old girl. It's okay, potentially might hold her interest. Reading level about right for a fifth grader, maybe rather easy. Unfortunately, this issue focuses on Valerian rather than Laureline. ( )
  TempleCat | Nov 22, 2017 |
An enjoyable re-read in the translation and e-book adaptation of this classic by Cinebook. Very clean work making it easy to enjoy the panels on the Kindle Android App I loaded the comic on. ( )
  Jarandel | Feb 5, 2017 |
Timetravel in a time when major parts of the planet is flooded... More of a SF/villain tale than political pamphlet this is maybe more fun than he others in this series. ( )
1 vote Busifer | Mar 5, 2007 |

Mézières, Jean-ClaudeIllustratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pierre ChristinAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tran-Lé, EvelynColouristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaukoranta, SoileTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galaxity, Metropolis of the future and capital of the Terran Empire.

Galaxity, capital of the Terran Empire in the 28th century. Valerian and Laureline are agents who protect mankind from rogue time travellers. Now they are sent to New York in 1986 to intercept Galaxity’s worst megalomaniac, Xombul—except that in 1986, the world is in ruins and New York is about to be swallowed by the ocean. The two agents must navigate the shifting waters of the past to make sure that the future will exist.

Galaxity, capital of the Terran Empire in the 28th century. Valerian and Laureline are agents who protect mankind from rogue time travellers. Now they are sent to New York in 1986 to intercept Galaxity's worst megalomaniac, Xombul - except that in 1986, the world is in ruins and New York is about to be swallowed by the ocean.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,848,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible