The Witness

by Sandra Brown

A woman flees across the South, pursued by people who want to kill her. She is Kendall Burnwood, witness to a racial murder committed by her husband, a newspaper editor. She has been summoned to testify at the trial and the family want to silence her.

I received a copy of The Witness as a First Reads win, along with two other bonus books, so I must thank Ms Brown for her generosity.

I was expecting The Witness to be a legal drama or a whodunit-type novel, so was very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be more of a thriller. From the very beginning of the novel, the reader is introduced to the intriguing mystery surrounding the protagonist of the story being on the run. As the book unfolds, the truth is slowly revealed, with just enough left in the shadows to keep the reader turning those pages, wanting to find out what happened as well as what will happened. The combination of flashbacks and chapters set in the present worked well for me, although the change of character POV confused me a couple of times.

This is an enjoyable novel that is just perfect for holiday reading, as it's an easy read but has some real substance to it. I'll definitely be reading more of Brown's work – and not only because I have two more books already sitting in my shelves!
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
4/5 stars

This wasn't my favorite Sandra Brown book, but it's still really good.
I wasn't a fan of the bigotry, sexism and racism, but it's needed for the story.
John was great and I also liked Kendall.
What I love about Sandra's books is that the women are not just airheads in the middle of a crime, but actually wellrounded and smart women. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Kendal has witnessed a heinous crime committed by a secret supremacist brotherhood in her town. She has reported them to the FBI and is now on the run. While this book was a fast fun, summer read, it kept me wanting more and i really enjoyed it.
This was my second Sandra Brown book and it was markedly better than the other one which I had read. ( )
  AstridG | Jul 31, 2017 |
Public Defender Kendall stumbled upon the town's chilling secret - and her marriage to one of the town's most powerful men has become a living hell. Now she’s a terrified mother trying to save her child's life.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 13, 2017 |
Good Sandra Brown suspense ( )
  Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |

Sandra Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gleason, JoannaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Platard de Quenín, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take me not off with the wicked,

with those who are workers of evil,

who speak peace with their neighbors,

while mischief is in their hearts.

Psalm 28:3
The infant's mouth sucked at his mother's breast.
ISBN 0446516317 is for The Witness; not French Silk.

Sandra Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446603309, 0446516317, 044619154X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,142,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible