August Heat by Andrea Camilleri

August Heat (2006)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (10)

English (24)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  All languages (36)
During a long relentlessly hot August, our good Inspector Salvo Montalbano is faced with a dead body in the hidden first story of a rental property. Since taxes on new construction are based on the total living space, this home was surreptitiously constructed with two apartments, one up and one down, with the downstairs one then covered up on the outside with sandy soil that could easily be removed to allow access once the statutory period allowing "amnesty" for such violations had run. Corruption at every level (see what I did there?) is nothing new for Montalbano, but someone somehow managed to kill a teen-aged girl and hide her body in the underground apartment just before it was buried nearly six years ago. Montalbano needs to find out who, without stepping on the wrong toes (worse than stepping on a landmine in Sicily), and try to bring the killer to justice. As nearly always happens in these novels, "justice" is not likely to be administered by the proper authorities. Complicating Salvo's life further is the dead girl's twin sister, who is determined to "help" with his investigation in odd ways that involve midnight swims and clandestine dinners. Not surprisingly, the Inspector is not exactly at the top of his game for a while, but it all works out in the end. All, that is, except for what he may or may not tell his long-time lady-love, Livia, who has been away during all of this excitement. THAT, the reader is left to imagine. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Aug 24, 2018 |
So far this is my favorite Camilleri novel. The characters are still not very realistic, more caricature than I prefer, and with an element of comedy I'm used to seeing in noisy old movies, not really my thing. This book is shorter than most of the others I've read so far, which may help, but it also seemed better paced and less reliant on sexist diversions. I've read worse, but I don't think Camilleri is ever going to rank in my top ten for mystery series writers. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Un calor asfixiante arrasa Sicilia como una llamarada; durante el día el aire se vuelve irresperable, las piedras queman y ni siquiera un baño en el mar ofrece algo más q alivio momentáneo. Con la ciudad sumida en un letargo incandescente Salvo aguarda la llegada de Livia q viene con unos amigos a pasar las vacaciones en una solitaria casita frente a la playa. Pero el idílico plan se tuerce cuando oculto en los sotanos de la casa aparece un baúl con un cadáver dentro.
Historia del comisario Salvo Montalbano con temas de mafia
  cnautz | May 27, 2017 |
It took a couple of tries before I warmed to Camilleri but I enjoyed this one and now I'm hooked. Inspector Montalbano doesn't always play by the rules, but he does have a heart. This was an intriguing mystery involving Italian building codes, and how to get around the rules. I just can't understand why he stays with his cold girlfriend, Livia. Translator Stephen Sartarelli added notes to explain some references that might be obscure to non-Italian readers. ( )
  VivienneR | May 18, 2017 |
Grover Gardner's excellent narration balances out the loss of translator Stephen Sartarelli's footnotes.

I found Livia irritating more than usual in this one and am beginning to wish Montalbano would find another girlfriend. Other than that, this 10th entry in the Montalbano series was another excellent police procedural. I chuckled at times over Montalbano's handling of the bureaucracy! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 5, 2016 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was sleeping so soundly that not even cannon-fire could have woken him.

When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigàta and endure the August heat. Montalbano’s long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family’s beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls - and Montalbano is left to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life.

"When a colleague extends his summer vacation, Inspector Salvo Montalbano is forced to stay in Vigata and endure the August heat. Montalbano's long-suffering girlfriend, Livia, joins him with a friend - husband and young son in tow - to keep her company during these dog days of summer. But when the boy suddenly disappears into a narrow shaft hidden under the family's beach rental, Montalbano, in pursuit of the child, uncovers something terribly sinister. As the inspector spends the summer trying to solve this perplexing case, Livia refuses to answer his calls, leaving Montalbano to take a plunge that will affect the rest of his life." "Fans of the Sicilian inspector as well as readers new to this increasingly popular series will enjoy following the melancholy but unflinchingly moral Montalbano as he undertakes one of the most shocking investigations of his career."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,550,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible