The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by…

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World

by Susan Veness

Having read The Disneyland Story by Sam Gennawey, it was natural to follow up by reading a book about Walt Disney World. Unfortunately, this is less history and more of a guidebook listing various details and features you can find at the Disney parks in Florida. There's an expectation that the reader is carrying the book while touring Walt Disney World with lots of "look around X to find a special surprise" that doesn't help if one is reading the book at home. Nevertheless, this book is an entertaining diversion. ( )
  Othemts | May 23, 2017 |
I thought I knew most everything about Disney World. But, I found out several things I didn't know about the Magic of Disney World. It was fun to learn more and makes it even more fun to visit this location. ( )
  willow_74 | Jan 30, 2017 |
I haven't been to Disney World since 2004 or 2005, and even then I had only gone to The Magic Kingdom, so this was all fun for me to read and remember and be nostalgic about. While I did enjoy the book, I did find some parts lacking or drawn out, but overall it was very good and brought back some good memories. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to check out some of the other parks! I would recommend this book. 3.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 23, 2016 |
Have mixed feelings about this book. I love Disney trivia, especially about Disney World. This had a number of new things in it that I had not seen before which was certainly enjoyably and the author does have great knowledge. One thing I felt was missing however is pictures would have been great! It's broken down into the 4 parks and has much detailed information about each. But as a previous reviewer notes it does seem to drag in spots. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jan 12, 2014 |
If you are into Disney World, this may be a very interesting book for you. However, it's definitely for a certain type of fan. I think that someone who maybe has an annual pass and goes all of the time and already knows every minute little detail will already know some of what's in here. On the other hand, even if you go every few years and consider yourself a fan, I do think there is a lot here that will be new and interesting.

The idea behind this book is really good, but it unfortunately drags in places. It's fascinating to learn facts that you may not have realized about what is around you, such as the fountain in Epcot containing water from rivers all over the world. Unfortunately, there are a few too many sections that go on and on about items hidden in queue lines or around the parks. I don't really want to read about something I could actually see (even if a lot of people tend to miss it). I'd prefer to hear about behind the scenes information that I have no other way of knowing.

In addition, it only covers the main four parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. I'm sure there's tons of hidden magic in other places, such as the resorts, water parks, and downtown Disney, but they get no mention in this book.

It's definitely an interesting read at least once, especially for Disney fans. And the time line for each park is interesting to read to learn how it has progressed through the years. But some sections are better off skipping or just glancing over. ( )
  beckykolacki | Jun 16, 2011 |

TRAVEL & HOLIDAY GUIDES. Sure, it's the Happiest Place on Earth, but how much do the 45 million-plus people who visit the Disney World theme parks annually really know about it? From where to find all the hidden Mickeys to the truth behind Madame Leota's ring at the Haunted Mansion, readers learn all about the hidden magic that permeates these fabulous resorts in this tell-all handbook. Complete with secret tips from Disney's Imagineers, "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" is the perfect in-park companion for Disney World fans.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,531,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible