Bucking the Sun

by Ivan Doig

Set in the 1930s, Doig's novel follows the Duff clan during the construction of the Fort Peck Dam. Hugh Duff is angry that the dam will flood his farm, yet his sons hasten to get jobs working on the project.

I've read many of Doig's books and he does have a way with words. I found this book interesting for the historical information (FDR, New Deal, etc), and enjoyed the characters, and the mystery, but parts of it drug on. The technical information on the dam were too hard for me to follow (I'm not an engineer!), so it took me awhile to finish it. But I am glad I read it! ( )
  carolfoisset | Jul 31, 2021 |
Doig is an excellent spinner of tales - very detailed & with beautiful language. This book is too convoluted and dense for my taste. Often I had no idea where the story was going or what the point of the story was. This is primarily a very intricate family drama with the “punchline” not delivered until literally the last page ! ( )
  labdaddy4 | Dec 27, 2020 |
This is an historical novel built around some of the events that took place during the Construction of the Fort Peck dam in Montana during the Great Depression. It is also a prequel to The Bartender's tale, one of Doig's more recent novels. Some characters carry over.

It's a good active story about interesting characters who have flawed personalities. There is a fair balance of humor and contemplation about life. Don't expect a knight in shining armor to save the day, or you will be disappointed. Be forewarned that the book has some sex scenes that give you a rather explicit picture of what is going on, though without using many explicit words- an interesting writing skill. ( )
  Michael_Lilly | Nov 15, 2015 |
It is unusual for me to read a book that begins with two dead -- and naked -- bodies in a truck. But I am an Ivan Doig fan and so I have "Bucking the Sun" on my shelf.
This is a complicated tale.Doig gives readers clues by putting a character's thoughts in italics: what they say is often different. The book is set in 1938. The Duff family is involved in a major project: construction of the Fort Peck Dam, aiming to dam the Missouri River. There are flashbacks to earlier days (some exciting, some sad) and these, at least for me, made the book more worthwhile. ( )
  Esta1923 | Dec 21, 2010 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,731,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible