Fourteen years ago, scientist William Fox implanted four babies with the Medusa gene - a gene for psychic abilities. But Fox died and the babies were hidden away for years. Now the children are teenagers - and unaware that their psychic powers are about to kick in. Cocky, charismatic Nico thinks his emerging telekinetic abilities will bring him money, power and the girl of his dreams. He's about to find out just how wrong he is...… (more)

This book was recommended to me by my 14 year old sister, Chelsey, and I found it an easy and relatively enjoyable read. I started and finished it within just a few hours.

The story is good, typical of young-adult science-fiction really. I enjoyed it but it wasn't unlike a million other books in this genre. Though I did expect a younger writing style, I didn't realise just how young an audience this book was aimed at; my typical young adult books tend to be somewhere in the 16-25 year old category and this was very much an under 16's book. So much so that the simplistic writing irritated me at times, the story could have been told better if it didn't endlessly patronise the reader... I mean, just because someone is 12 doesn't mean they're an idiot. In short, you could see every inch of the plot several chapters before it happened.

I have nothing against children's books, but even those should keep you guessing. For me, it was blatantly obvious who the fourth teenager with the Medusa gene was.

So... not bad, would probably have enjoyed it more 5 or 6 years ago. ( )
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is the first book of an amazing trilogy. I would recommend it to people aged between 10 and 16. It's about four children; Nico, Ketty, Ed and Dylan who all have psychological powers - I know what you're thinking: "This sounds like a stupid book with things like monsters and superheroes. Well, I promise you, it's not. The three books in the series ar The Set-Up, The Hostage and The Rescue. ( )
  VarjakIsKing | Oct 28, 2010 |
This was given to me by the lovely Ally at Simon and Schuster UK.

Nico is a student at his step-father's boarding school. While he was still in his mother's womb, he was injected with a virus thought to "unlock" psychic talents at the onset of puberty. He and three other children were given this treatment. Now they are all coming of age and their powers are manifesting. Nico is facing conflicting information concerning the use of his powers and ends up getting himself into trouble.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was a young adult novel - maybe I'm finally getting old. The story wasn't bad, though I had to let go of some preconceived expectations. I was anticipating a combination of the television shows Dark Angel and Heroes with a hearty bit of teenage shannanigans. It didn't quite work out that way. I expect that the following books will be more enjoyable since the background has now been laid. Being American, some of the British slang threw me at times, but I think I got the gist of it. I think this would be a great book for pre/early teens.
  eidolons | Nov 1, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,211,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible