The Star Group

by Christopher Pike

Three guys and four girls meet a strange man who offers to give them secret knowledge, an inner journey that will transform them into powerful beings capable of bending the world to their wills. In the midst of this great transformation will emerge a bad seed with a will more evil than a devil.

It strikes me, after reading several Pike books in a row, that he really specialises in cruel, promiscuous girls and violent, cheating boys. It's getting a bit old, now, and I'm getting a bit over how gendered it all is.

This one also had some pretty gross racial stuff in it. Sal is "black as ink" and looks "as if he were from another time, a powerful tribal leader... who carried a spear" and, of course, his superpower ends up being violent brute strength.

I also found the plot a bit underwhelming and the long exposition passages from The Mentor were so dull I tended to skim them.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
A group of seven friends are getting ready to graduate from high school when one is contacted by an alien. They explore this relationship and it ends in tragedy.

Just ok, I love Pike's stuff, but this one seemed a little far out for me. ( )
  bookwormteri | Sep 5, 2007 |

Christopher Pikeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,996,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible