Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Shades of Midnight

by Lara Adrian

This book has probably been my favorite out of the series (other than the first one of course). I really just loved it all. I liked the new scenery a lot, and how there was more of a threat than there usually is. This book kept me on the edge of my seat for a while. I had a hard time putting it down. I hope the next one is just as good. ( )
  ShanMonstar | Nov 19, 2017 |
Shades of Midnight
5 Stars

Synopsis:
In the frozen wilderness of Alaska, bush pilot Alexandra Macquire comes across the mutilated bodies of an entire family. The killings stir up horrific memories from her childhood until the arrival of a seductive stranger who makes her feel safe. Kade is a vampire warrior hiding a shameful secret that threatens his fragile bond with Alex. Can he confront his personal demons and protect the woman he loves from an unspeakable evil that threatens to destroy them both?

Review:
A significant improvement over the last book. The story is gripping from the start and the romance is one of the most intense in the series.

Kade has just been added to my list of favorite vampires. He is one of the new additions to the Breed warriors and very little is known about him at the outset. The gaps are soon filled in and he is revealed to be sexy, sensitive and honorable. He is the first warrior whose family features prominently in the series, and it is interesting to see the dynamic between the members as well as how Kade copes with the secret he has been keeping from them.

Alex is an independent and determined heroine, and the way in which her relationship with Kade develops and strengthens is simply perfect. As someone who has been exposed to rogue vampires in the past, it is not surprising that she has conflicting feelings once she discovers who he truly is. Her reactions are believable and compelling, and the way in which things work themselves out is intriguing. I do feel that her special ability could have been woven better into the storyline but this is a very small nitpick.

The secondary plots and characters add action and suspense to the main story arc. The appearance of the other warriors toward the end adds extra energy and the scenes presented from the Ancient's perspective actually had me feeling for him. He has suffered at the hands of his captors and cannot really be blamed for what he is or for his natural instincts. Brock’s story is set up well and I look forward to seeing where his connection with Jenna is going, as from what I can gather, she is not a breedmate.

Overall, this is a wonderful series that I wholeheartedly recommend to lovers of paranormal romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Paranormal Romance. Midnight Breed 7. Rogue kills family in Alaska, Alex (pilot) finds them, Kade (twin brother Seth) goes to sort it out. One of the better ones. OK+
  C4RO | Jun 1, 2015 |
I am not sure what I expected from this story. I knew that it was going to have something to do with the Ancient and a mate for Kade. I wondered if there was going to be any more about Dragos and his plans for the future of his army. I continue to hope that some of those Breed men can be saved from the life that they have led for so long. This story starts out with death and destruction of so many people. I have to admit that Alaska in winter would be the perfect place for a bunch of Breeds. They would have so much time to do things they would be unstoppable. I did enjoy learning more about Kade and his family. He is a very complex man with a gift that is powerful and seductive. It is a gift that I wished I had. To be able to communicate with wild predators must be amazing. I can also see how it would draw the unwary into it power and not let go. I think that Kade handles the power every well, even though he is afraid of it. Kade is like the other warriors in the Order, kind to the weak and brutal to the savage. He is a good brother and son as well as the best mate for Alexandra Maguire. He is confident and powerful. He is all the Breed should be.

Alexandra “Alex” Maguire has lived through so much. She lost her mother and brother to Rogues at a young age. Her father has been dead six months at the beginning of this story. She has continued on with the business that her father started and she is very good at flying in the Alaskan bush. I am sure that it is a very hard and rough existence for a young lady. I love that Alex cares so much for the local wolf population. I have always thought that wolves were very misunderstood. They are very intelligent and caring of those in their pack. They can be viscous and brutal but they have to be in order to survive the wild places that they love. Alex is also caring, compassionate and very loving. It is easy to see what draws Kade to her from the very beginning.

This is a good addition to the series and it advances the ongoing story line. We are also left wondering what is going on with Alex’s friend Jenna. There isn't any clear idea of what the Ancient did to her. It will be interesting to find out what happens next. ( )
  LadyIsis | Feb 15, 2014 |
Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian (Midnight Breed Series book 7) ( )
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
To the charming and witty, the thoroughly unforgettable,
Miss Eithne O’Hanlon of the Emerald Isle,
for being such a wonderful advocate of the series,
and a source of many giggles and much
mayhem at the message boards.
Thank you for being you!
WorldCat has ISBN 0440339197 for BOTH Shades of Midnight AND How to Increase Your Intelligence.

In a frozen wilderness steeped in darkness, the lines between good and evil, lover and enemy, are never black or white but drawn in Shades of Midnight.

Something inhuman is stalking the frigid Alaskan wilds, leaving unspeakable carnage in its wake. For bush pilot Alexandra Maguire, the killings stir memories of a horrific event she witnessed as a child and evoke in her the inexplicable sense of otherness she has long felt within herself but never fully understood . . . until a darkly seductive stranger with secrets of his own enters her world.

Sent from Boston on a mission to investigate the savage attacks and stop the slaughter, vampire warrior Kade has his own reasons for returning to the frigid, forbidding place of his birth. Haunted by a secret shame, Kade soon realizes the stunning truth of the threat he faces–a threat that will jeopardize the fragile bond he has formed with the courageous, determined young woman who arouses his deepest passions and most primal hungers. But in bringing Alex into his world of blood and darkness, Kade must confront both his own personal demons and the even greater evil that could destroy all he holds dear.

Bush pilot Alexandra Maguire comes face-to-face with a horrific event from her past when an inhuman creature leaves a trail of bloody carnage in the frigid Alaskan wilds, forcing her to team up with a vampire warrior sent to stop the attacks.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,936,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible