Shades of Black: a Celebration of Our Children

by Sandra L. Pinkney

Other authors: Myles C. Pinkney (Photographer)

Photographs and poetic text celebrate the beauty and diversity of African American children.

Photographs and poetic text celebrates the beauty and diversity of African American children.
  Lake_Oswego_UCC | Feb 17, 2022 |
Shades of black is an awesome book that shows all the different shades of black people and their hair types. This book shows kids that people come in all different shades and they are all beautiful. The phrase "I am black I am unique" is repeated throughout the book which is great because it reminds kids to be proud of who they are and that it's okay to be different. I think this book would help kids of all races be more comfortable with their unique differences! ( )
  KPyfromDay | Sep 22, 2019 |
Shades of Black: A Celebration of Our Children is a picture book that features photographs that encourages the idea of diversity amongst black people. The children's characteristics are compared to various things we encounter in life such as foods, plants, and stones. Throughout the book the sentences "I am black. I am unique." is repeated . I felt the author and illustrator did a wonderful job of combining photos and statements that can be thought provoking to those of many ages. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and the way it promoted uniqueness, acceptance, and self love . This book can be appreciated by small kids , teenagers, and adults. ( )
  CLEBLANC0 | Aug 24, 2018 |
Filled with beautiful photographs, this book eloquently describes the diversity in skin tones, hair texture, and eyes of African American children. With the chant of “I am black. I am unique!” this book will help children of all races to celebrate their unique attributes.
  alankenship | Feb 24, 2018 |
This is a cute picture book that helps show children that there is more than one color for a persons skin, but that it doesn't matter because no matter what they are beautiful. Because the author used real photographs, it is easier for children to really see and understand what they book is saying. ( )
  S.Hackett | Oct 10, 2017 |

Sandra L. Pinkneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, Myles C.Photographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,801,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible