HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Happy Holidays! The 12 Days of LT scavenger hunt is going on. Can you solve the clues?
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the…
Loading...

From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time

by Sean Carroll

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
5641525,652 (3.8)3

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 3 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 15 (next | show all)
Final book of the trip. ( )
  TravbudJ | Oct 19, 2018 |
I don't like a quest. I like scientific research, creativity, non-conformist ideas. Luckily it's only the subtitle of the book that I hold a grudge against. In the book itself you'll find scientific research, creativity and non-conformist thinking. And a scientist who tells us that some of his ideas aren't science but speculation. (Well, 'predictions' my ass). All too often scientists use misplaced authority in popular science books when it comes to defending their own theories. Sean Carroll, theoretical physicist at CalTech, isn't one of them, and that is laudable.

From Eternity to Here (2010) is a book about the arrow of time. What is time? The answer in a nutshell: experiencing the tendency of the universe to increase its entropy, a measure of "disorder". There we have them again. Scrambled eggs won't unscramble (although quantum mechanics tell us there's a small chance it will happen. And if you wait long enough it inevitably will happen). The milk in your coffee that won't get unmixed.
Entropy tends to stay the same or increase on a large scale. That's because there are more possible combinations of chaos than of order. If an earthquake hits your pile of books, it tends to fall over. If the books are on the ground and the second wave of earthquakes come, generally they won't pile on top of each other.
That seems to be what we perceive as time: the direction from low entropy to higher entropy. It will eventually end with everything - all matter, all fields, all of spacetime - in equilibrium, which means time will stop as well. No change, no time, ma'am.

Carroll speculates however that it won't stop there. In an equilibrium universe entropy will continue to grow by creating bubbles that are new universes. These universes start out low in entropy, and the unlimited increase can continue.
Why does Sean Carroll come up with the need for eternal increase of entropy, to the cost of a yet unfalsifiable multiverse theory? Reason is that our own universe started out in a strange, very low entropy state. And that poses problems. Not only for the development of our universe, but for the current state of our universe as well. After all, the highest chance for us is to find ourselves in such a De Sitter space. In such a space there's equilibrium without an arrow of time. Weak anthropic principle, but with a twist.

The book fills up with explanations about the usual suspects. That is: entropy, general relativity, quantum physics, string theory, black holes and event horizons, AdS/CFT . The whole cast of characters you'll find in most current books about cosmology. In that regard the book won't teach you much extra. But it is a good overview structured from another perspective: the perspective of time. As a bonus it takes you on a mind-boggling tour of possibilities. From the dimensions of infinite space to the multiverse in its many variations. A well written book with an interesting conclusion. Worth your time.

For those missing the most basic of mathematics you should read the 'math' section at the end of the book first. For those with a few years of high school math: dive right in. Follow the arrow From Eternity to Here.

In the right direction, that is. ( )
1 vote jeroenvandorp | Feb 19, 2017 |
Ostensibly this book is about time and why it goes only one way. Mostly, it's about entropy, and it's a bit repetitive, and not as elucidating as one might hope. I think it may be intended primarily for those working or studying in the areas of cosmology or quantum field theory rather than laymen such as myself. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
შონ ქეროლის "მარადისობიდან დღემდე" ერთ-ერთი იმ იშვიათთაგანი წიგნია რომელიც სამყაროს ენტროპიის და დროის ისარის (მიმართულების) პრობლემას ეხება. ქეროლის თქმით თუ თქვენ მოხვდებით რომელიმე წამყვანი ინსტიტუტის ბიბლიოთეკაში და დაათვალიერებთ თაროს სადაც ფიზიკის სახელმძღვანელოები​ და ლიტერატურა აწყვია, ძალიან გაგიჭირდებათ მოძებნოთ წიგნი რომელიც ეხება ენტროპიის და დროის პრობლემას კოსმოლოგიურ კონტექსტში. თერმოდინამიკა როგორც წესი რჩება ლაბორატორიაში, სამზარეულოში და მექანიკაში. აქ სიტუაცია სხვგავარია, ავტორს სამზარეულოს (ლაბორატორიის) პირობების დათვალიერების შემდეგ გადავყავართ უსასრულობაში. სამყაროს "დასაწყისიდან" მის თერმულ სიკვდილამდე, წარმოუდგენლად შორეულ მომავალში, და უკან დიდ აფეთქებამდე არსებულ ჰიპოთეტურ მარადისობაში.

აქ დასმული კითხვები ერთი შეხედვით უცნაურია, "რატომ გვახსოვს წარსული და არა მომავალი?" "რატომ ვბერდებით და ვკვდებით" ანუ რატომ ვერ იქნება ბენჯამენ ბატონის (ფიცჯერალდის ნოველის გმირი) ამბავი რეალობა. "რატომ ქონდა სამყაროს დიდ აფეთქებისას ექსტრემალურად დაბალი ენტროპია?"
საერთოდ რა არის დრო?

თერმოდინამიკის, სპეციალური და ზოგადი ფარდობითობის, კვანტური მექანიკის მიმოხილვის შემდეგ ქეროლი გვთავაზობს ამ ღრმა პრობლემების გადაწყვეტის მონახაზს. ამ მონახაზში, ჩემი აზრით უნიკალური ისიცაა რომ ქეროლი საწყისი დაბალი ენტროპიის პრობლემით მიდის მულტი სამყაროს იდეამდე. მულტი სამყარომდე ბევრი გზა მიდის უმეტესობა დამატებითი განზომილებების, სიმების და კვანტური თეორიების გავლით, ენტროპიის პრობლემა რამდენადმე დამოუკიდებელი და საინტერესოა.

მიუხედავად იმისა რომ ქეროლს კარგი ანალოგიები და მაგალითები აქვს, არ აკლია იუმორის გრძნობაც, ამ ჟანრის (სამეცნიერო პოპულარული ლიტერატურა) დამწყებ მკითხველს ნამდვილად ვერ ვურჩევ. ჰოკინგის და კაკუს ძალიან გამარტივებულ ახსნასთან შედარებით ქეროლი ნამეტანი არ ზრუნავს ყველა დეტალის დაღეჭვაზე. არადა ზოგიერთი საკითხი ძალზედ ჩახლართული და რთულია. ან მოყავს ისეთი არგუმენტი რომელიც არასპეციალისტი და არამეცნიერი მკითხველისთვის არც ისე ნათელია.
წიგნი საინტერესოა იმითაც რომ მისი მიზანი არაა კოსმოლოგიის ზოგადი მიმოხილვა და მთავარი პრობლემების გამოკვეთა. რითიც მაგალითად ჰოკინგის და კაკუს წიგნები გამოირჩევა. არამედ დასახული აქვს კონკრეტული პრობლემა: - დრო.

( )
  Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
A good read...please take the time to grasp what is being said...this is not for a first timer in my opinion. You need at least a base understanding of the concepts of space-time and relativity (it would help to understand basic cosmology too). Now I'm not saying that this is meant for a PhD candidate by any means it just would help to understand it a little. ( )
  gopfolk | Sep 2, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 15 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Information from the Russian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0525951334, Hardcover)

A rising star in theoretical physics offers his awesome vision of our universe and beyond, all beginning with a simple question: Why does time move forward?

Time moves forward, not backward—everyone knows you can’t unscramble an egg. In the hands of one of today’s hottest young physicists, that simple fact of breakfast becomes a doorway to understanding the Big Bang, the universe, and other universes, too. In From Eternity to Here, Sean Carroll argues that the arrow of time, pointing resolutely from the past to the future, owes its existence to conditions before the Big Bang itself— a period modern cosmology of which Einstein never dreamed. Increasingly, though, physicists are going out into realms that make the theory of relativity seem like child’s play. Carroll’s scenario is not only elegant, it’s laid out in the same easy-to- understand language that has made his group blog, Cosmic Variance, the most popular physics blog on the Net.

From Eternity to Here uses ideas at the cutting edge of theoretical physics to explore how properties of spacetime before the Big Bang can explain the flow of time we experience in our everyday lives. Carroll suggests that we live in a baby universe, part of a large family of universes in which many of our siblings experience an arrow of time running in the opposite direction. It’s an ambitious, fascinating picture of the universe on an ultra-large scale, one that will captivate fans of popular physics blockbusters like Elegant Universe and A Brief History of Time.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:31 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

A rising star in theoretical physics offers his awesome vision of our universe and beyond, all beginning with a simple question: Why does time move forward?

» see all 2 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.8)
0.5
1
1.5
2
2.5 1
3 23
3.5 4
4 24
4.5 2
5 12

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,825,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible