HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Knights of Crystallia

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians (3)

When Alcatraz and Grandpa Smedry make a pilgrimage to the Free Kingdom city of Crystallia, they are shocked to find the city under seige by the Evil Librarians--led by Alcatraz's own mother.

I love the corny humor. :D ( )
  bangerlm | Jan 18, 2023 |
Winter 2020 (January);
Sanderson Syspean Challenge

(I'm playing catchup on around 20-30 books since January started, so this morning's books will likely be a bit of an overview looking back on series from two months ago.)

The Alcatraz series was an adorable romp to get into in December and finish through the beginning of January (which sets me up as ready to read the the 6th book in the series being published this year!!). I do find Alcatraz himself a little much at times, but I love the surrounding cast, and figuring out the Shemdry talents before they are explained. I love Bastille with the power of a million suns. I absolutely felt heart-shot at the spoiler of book five. As well, I always look forward to the 1-2 tongue-in-cheek, wholly correct references to/commentary on Harry Potter hidden in each of these books. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 27, 2022 |
Alcatraz finally arrives in the Free Kingdom of Crystallia, but there is a plot afoot by the Librarians to capture a key book. Alcatraz also discovers what it means to be a real friend and how to judge between those who just want to be around him because he is famous. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 23, 2021 |
For a middle part in a bigger story, this one needed to evolve on the world and set things up for the end. It does a good job of both, while being a fun story. Up until this point, the Knights of Crystallia are mostly an unknown. This one shows the good and the bad of this society. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Publishers' blurb:
"In this third Alcatraz adventure, Alcatraz Smedry has made it to the Free Kingdoms at last. Unfortunately, so have the evil Librarians--including his mother! Now Alcatraz has to find a traitor among the Knights of Crystallia, make up with his estranged father, and save one of the last bastions of the Free Kingdoms from the Evil Librarians."
My comment:
Just as good as the first two. Watch out for lots of red herrings and twists and turns. Loved it. Highly recommended. ( )
  nicsreads | Jan 20, 2020 |
The rather complicated plot can be challenging to follow, and plenty of threads are left dangling for yet another sequel. Beneath the wild humor, there are surprisingly subtle messages about responsibility and courage.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Elaine E. Knight (Jan 1, 2010)

With comical insight into human nature and just enough substance to make it all matter, the plot offers up plenty of action, gadgetry, metafictional humor, grudgingly dispensed hints of the librarians’ endgame, and counterintuitive Smedry Talents ... to keep old fans and new readers alike turning pages.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Claire E. Gross (Nov 1, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brundage, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazo, HayleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane, who does her best to keep me looking fashionable, and does it in such an endearing way that I can't even convince myself to wear mismatched socks anymore (except on Thursdays)
So there I was, hanging upside down underneath a gigantic glass bird, speeding along at a hundred miles an hour above the ocean, in no danger whatsoever.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,824,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible