The Knights of Crystallia by Brandon…

The Knights of Crystallia

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Alcatraz (3)

The third book in this series sees Alcatraz Smedry finally arrive in the Free Kingdoms where he learns he's quite a celebrity (lots of not so subtle jabs at Harry Potter here) and that there are currently evil librarians meeting with the kings and queens of the Free Kingdoms on a treaty. Alcatraz's frenemy and protector Bastille is stripped of her knighthood due to Alcatraz breaking her sword in the previous book. Alcatraz and a whacky crew - including a daft prince and a "recovering librarian" - work to uncovers suspicious goings on while the librarians are in town. Central to the plot is the Royal Archives (Not a Library), a running gag that makes me laugh as an archivist who has attended professional conferences, but maybe won't be as funny to other readers. As usual, this addition to the Alcatraz series is clever, witty, funny, and still a rather ripping adventure.

Favorite Passages:

"The love books. However, to them, books are a little like teenage boys. Whenever they start congregating they make trouble." ( )
  Othemts | Jan 9, 2018 |
Yeah, I know this is book 3 and I haven't read books 1 or 2, but I saw it in the library and picked it up because of the author. I've read other things he's written and enjoyed them. This one is different, and it gets points for that. It gets a point for the Terry Pratchett reference, too. It's an absurd fantasy. Nothing wrong with that. The first person narrator speaks directly to the reader, often commenting on what he's writing and why. Between the two of these, there is no way you can take the story seriously, which I rather liked. (I tend not to like fantasy that tries to pretend that it's plausible.) I don't think I enjoyed this book enough to read the others in the series, but I appreciate how clever it is. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
In the third book in the Alcatraz series, Alcatraz finally gets to visit his home country of Nalhalla. Of course, life is tumultuous from the start with the Evil Librarians trying to forge a peace treaty with the Free Kingdoms, Alcatraz trying to figure out what his relationship should be with his newly-found father, and Bastille having to face trial with the Knights of Crystallia for the loss of her sword (way back in the first book).

As in all the Alcatraz books, humour abounds throughout this novel. Sanderson continues to write characters full of quirks, snark, and increasingly bizarre Talents. He also develops the relationship between the characters and Alcatraz and Bastille continue to bond. Of course the over-arching mystery of just what Alcatraz's mother and the Evil Librarians are plotting continues to deepen and while a few clues are dropped in this book, the big bad plan continues to remain a mystery. Of course, Sanderson continues to include many meta moments in the book which are thoroughly entertaining. And as always, there are wonderful quips about librarians. My favourite in this novel was the following:

Now, you may have gotten the impression that there are absolutely no uses for Librarians. I'm sorry if I implied that. Librarians are very useful. For instance, they are useful if you are fishing for sharks and need some bait. They're also useful for throwing out windows to test the effects of concrete impact on horn-rimmed glasses. If you have enough Librarians, you can build bridges out of them. (Just like witches.)

An amusing continuation of the series. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 5, 2011 |
A quick fast-paced read. More wit and adventure as Alcatraz tries to stop the evil librarians. More plot twists are added, gearing up for the final volumes. ( )
  aarondesk | Mar 31, 2011 |
These books are fabulously hysterical and laugh-out-loud! Alcatraz Smedry has a talent for breaking things, big things - like his new foster family's kitchen. But on the day of his thirteenth birthday he receives a bag of sand, a gift from his father. Then his grandfather, who he'd never known existed, arrives to tell him that indeed he does have a Talent for Breaking Things--and that it's a mark of his prestigous family. You see Alcatraz really comes from a family that fights Librarians. Yes, librarians. Apparently, librarians are really members of an evil cult that are trying to keep the existence of whole continents and societies in our world a secret through the manipulation of knowledge and information.

These are extremely clever books and Alcatraz is a smart, daring, and funny character who is still trying to make sense of his identity. The books are told from his perspective and claim that Alcatraz is writing his biography and telling the truth about his own anti-heroism. The best part is that supposedly the books are being smuggled into our world under Brandon Sanderson's pseudonym and Alcatraz is constantly making wise-cracks about him. Meaning the author not only puts himself in the novels, but makes fun of himself as well!

Sanderson is an amazing fantasy writer--as evidenced by his being chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Check these out!
  Ilithyia | Dec 5, 2010 |
The rather complicated plot can be challenging to follow, and plenty of threads are left dangling for yet another sequel. Beneath the wild humor, there are surprisingly subtle messages about responsibility and courage.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Elaine E. Knight (Jan 1, 2010)

With comical insight into human nature and just enough substance to make it all matter, the plot offers up plenty of action, gadgetry, metafictional humor, grudgingly dispensed hints of the librarians’ endgame, and counterintuitive Smedry Talents ... to keep old fans and new readers alike turning pages.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Claire E. Gross (Nov 1, 2009)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brundage, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazo, HayleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane, who does her best to keep me looking fashionable, and does it in such an endearing way that I can't even convince myself to wear mismatched socks anymore (except on Thursdays)
So there I was, hanging upside down underneath a gigantic glass bird, speeding along at a hundred miles an hour above the ocean, in no danger whatsoever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043992555X, Hardcover)

Nancy Pearl loves this series and we do too!

When Alcatraz and Grandpa Smedry make a pilgrimage to the Free Kingdom city of Crystallia, the Smedry home base, Alcatraz is shocked to see that he is, in fact, a legend. When he was a baby he was stolen by the Evil Librarians, and his mother, a Librarian herself, was behind the whole scheme. Now, with his estranged father, who is acting indeed strange, Bastille, who has been stripped of her armor, and Grandpa Smedry, who is, as always, late to everything (that's his Talent), Alcatraz tries to save a city under siege. From who? Why, the Librarians of course!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

When Alcatraz and Grandpa Smedry make a pilgrimage to the Free Kingdom city of Crystallia, they are shocked to find the city under seige by the Evil Librarians--led by Alcatraz's own mother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,829,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible