Spider's Bite

by Jennifer Estep

Series: Elemental Assassin (1)

"My name is Gin, and I kill people. They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South--when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

English (90)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (94)
Spider's Bite is book one in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Well Dang! I should have picked up this seres sooner. I was entranced by the first page and couldn't put Spider's Bite down. I devoured the book. That opening scene, WOW.

Spider’s Bite starts with a thrilling ride and doesn’t let up. Their are so many twists and turns, and ups and downs that you can’t help, but be sucked into the story.

The magical system is complex and quite interesting. I like how it’s set up and can’t wait to dig deeper. The setting is cool and the supporting cast where amazing. We are just getting to meet Gin’s adopted brother Finnegan and the dwarves sisters Jo Jo and Sophia. I really enjoyed meeting them and can’t wait to dive back into the world and see what happens next.

Gin; dang that girl is hard core. I really liked her. She’s complex, yet still a women, a women who can kick-ass and has a code that she lives by. She’s had a dark childhood and it’s given her a wry sense of humor. Her reality is often bleak, but Estep gives it a powerful unforgettable beauty.

I really felt for the cast and felt they where real. I love it when an author makes me feel like the characters are real people and I’m being sucked into their lives.

Spider’s Bite is a non-stop action-packed adventure. It’s pure Urban Fantasy. I highly recommend this book/series to fans who like Urban Fantasy that feature a kick ass woman who has way too many knives and knows how to use them.

Rated: 5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
I've been interested in reading this book for a while now. I enjoy the female assassin angle and it's not seen very often so maybe my expectations were too high for this book. Regardless, this book dragged for me when I finally picked it up as a Book of the Month.

Gin is an assassin. In addition to knives, she uses her stone magic and ice magic to get the job done. Her handler and his business man son Finn are the only family she's had since her sisters and mother were killed in a fire. First off, if you can't figure out who killed her family faster than Gin you're really not paying attention. Seriously, I hate stupid main characters. That's not what this story is about however. Rather, Gin is hired to off an accountant blamed for laundering money from his employers. Things quickly go wrong and Gin finds herself at the receiving end of an assassination attempt. She escapes with her life, warns the accountant and runs into the only clean cop in town. Oh, and he's hot. Of course he is. WTH.

I hate forced relationships. The author, to give her credit, tries to build a relationship between cop and assassin, I just didn't buy it. Admittedly I prefer it when relationships build themselves over time (ala [b:Magic Bites|38619|Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1257727888s/38619.jpg|38381] and [b:Rosemary and Rue|6294549|Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)|Seanan McGuire|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1308971694s/6294549.jpg|6478937]) vs. the instant connection, let’s get together the first book thing. That reeks of Paranormal Romance, in what I was expecting to be an Urban Fantasy book. All that aside this relationship was silly to me. This guy wants to kill you and you want him? Again, it would be one thing if it was a heat of the moment wham, bam thank you ma'am sort of encounter. Instead, here's this assassin building up all this "oh, he's so great, I admire him so much" goo-goo thing over a cop. And not a very useful one either for 99% of the book. It felt like the author wanted a love interest to go with the current UF trend, but it could have been handled with more skill.

Those complaints aside, back to the plot! Gin's double-crossing employer has her handler killed and is in the process of beating Finn to death when she rescues him. Oh, by the way Gin is HOT! So of course she handles all this by dressing like a skank. Yeah! Gin proceeds to save the cop too! Yeah! In skin tight leather this time if I remember correctly. Or that could be just an assumption on my part, I was doing some skimming by that time. She does wear a black shirt with sparkly cherries on it later though, and I admittedly hoped she would die in some horrible way due to those sparkly cherries making her glow in the dark. So after saving everyone they start making plans to save the day, get some revenge, all that good stuff. Lots of skimming later, and I was just bored.

The dialogue in this book is nowhere near as good as most UF seen today. I know this is a first book, but it really didn't hold me at all. I'm a speed reader. The average book takes me 2 days to read, a grand total of maybe 3-4 hours. This book took me 19 days to finish and I started one other book (also bad unfortunately) and finished another in that time. The last book I read took me the usual 2 hours, so there went all my hopes it was me and not the book standing in the way. I literally finished this book just to have it done. That said, I could finish it and for that reason I didn't give it 1 star. Also, this book had lots of promise. I like the female assassin thing, even if she's weak as a bad ass. I liked the idea of rock as a magic. It wasn't fully utilized so I hope it gets brought out more in future books. I hate the cop boyrfriend. Boring. And don't make me laugh about her thoughs of him as "a good lover". I admittedly hate the "perfect" sex these characters always seem to get, but (spoiler!) he's done in under a minute and you're unsatisfied? Sure, you got it up again, and realism is great, but don't call him the greatest lover ever 2 paragraphs later. It makes me sad for you.

So…
The good: A female assassin who does at least most of her own killing. An interesting power, although it’s very underutilized. Interesting world, but also underutilized.
The bad: Poor dialogue. Predictable bad guy. It dragged a lot considering the body count. Boring boy toy with a contrived connection. Just did not like the main character. Or really any of the characters actually – maybe Finn was somewhat enjoyable for about 3 seconds.
Can’t recommend this, but it’s not the bottom of the barrel. I would try book 2, if I could borrow it from a library or through kindle just to see if the author neatens any of this up and brings anything out of this.
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
"Engaging heroine, fast plot, new ideas, fun read"

Two things made this book fun:

1. The main character Gin is refreshingly amoral - no endless recriminations about "does being an assassin make me a bad person?" - no "only I can save the world" delusions - just a survivor doing the best she can and mostly putting herself first

2. The spirited reading by Lauren Fortgang that brings Gin to life. She did a great job of helping me get more out of the prose.

The book is firmly in the urban fantasy with a kick-ass heroine territory but it has a few ideas that make it stand out and it's clearly built to be a series will a well thought out world.

I did find it odd that the most feared assassin the business manages to get through this novel without actually assassinating anyone.

The male love interest is not as interesting as he needs to be. Perhaps Gin will do better in the next book or he will do something that demonstrates why she finds him so attractive.

A good piece of genre fun that may build into a memorable series.

I've already downloaded the next book.
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
I love getting my hands on books that are not your typical supernatural reads. The supernaturals in this books are of course your typical fae types, vampires, and Elemental's they control Stone, Fire, Air, and Ice with some minor ones such as metal and water. Gin is our main character she is a Stone Elemental, who's family was killed in front of her when she was 13, and was taken in by Fenegan (SP, and his son Finn. Fen will call him, had raised Gin to be the woman she is today, a badass assassin named the "Spider". Gin gets a job that pays a lot of money, She goes to do the hit, but when she gets ready to do her hit, she finds out they've been double crossed and she's going to be set up for the murder, as a bigger plot is going on. Gin must figure out who is behind the double cross and kill them before they end up getting her put in prison or worse dead. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
On the whole I quite liked the book. The main character is a female assassin named Gin so given her job, she displays a certain moral flexibility throughout the book. The main plot is fairly straightforward and it plays out pretty much as one would expect. That said, it's Gin's interactions with her friends that made the book for me.

Where the book lets me down however is in the love interest and Gin's interaction with him. The book states that she's attracted to him without really showing why particularly well.

While not the best urban fantasy, it's better than a lot out there. It's definitely enough for me to consider looking at some of the rest of the series. ( )
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |

Estep, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Girard, AgnèsTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamatsch, VanessaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauro, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

“My name is Gin, and I kill people.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,278,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible