14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy

14 Cows for America

by Carmen Agra Deedy

Other authors: Thomas Gonzalez (Illustrator), Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah (Contributor)

The front and back covers of this book screamed quality. It caters to my schema to grab my attention and tell me that we are going to Africa and this story isn’t gonna be sad. “To the Maasai, the cow is life”, The one inch picture on the back is able to capture the emotional connection due to the art direction. I just want to get this out of the way, the illustrations done by Thomas Gonzalez are beautiful, detailed, and unique. They are photo quality with an eye for detail that connected with my thoughts about Africa. After this accommodation, it then presents a joyous world with smiles, joy, respect, and beauty. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the last picture that shows a reflection from an eye. The words on the page came to life and my awareness of this place was heightened. Some of the best illustrations I’ve seen this year.
This is the story of the Maasai people and their connection to cows. They cherish the cow and they feel it has power to heal. They are EXTREMELY valuable to these people. This book tells the story of the Maasai people wanting to heal New York city after 9/11 by sending 14 of their precious cow to the U.S. The country was wounded and the Maasai offered comfort to these people the only way they could. I connected with this book in a way I didn’t expect. The insert on the cover laid out a story that wanted to read, I have finally found a book that tells this type of story about Africa. I will share this with my class and point out that it contains all the details you would see in a book about African people. Yet, it avoided framing any of these features in a stereotypical way. No white savior, famine, or war; just sincerity that connects in the best way possible. It’s a connection I will share with my class.
I like the note from Kimeli in the back of the book. I’m going to make note of all these letters and share them with my class to offer them exposure to different cultures. This book presented its features in a way that made me think about further applications. I respect this book and want to thank the author, Carmen Agra Deedy, for this masterpiece. ( )
  S.Johnson | May 10, 2017 |
Touching nonfiction picture book about how the main character, Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah, returned to his home town in Kenya after 9/11. After relating the news to the villagers, the Maasai gave to the survivors what they had to give - 14 cows from their herds.

I would love to read this to lower reading students and pair it with video of the Maasai people. ( )
  mamzel | May 8, 2017 |
14 Cows for America was a great book! It is a great example of generosity, even when you don't have anything to do. This book has great pictures and is easy to read! Such a fun book! ( )
  KaelaBrew | Apr 11, 2017 |
I loved the colors in the illustrations in this book. The bright, vibrant colors really caught my attention in all of the pictures. The colors represented the natural colors found in Africa where the book takes place. The book also uses a lot of metaphors related to African culture and explains the culture of the tribe. I also love how the book connects Africa to America. The boy returning to the tribe and telling stories about America is a different perspective for American children to read about. Including 9/11 in the text also connects American readers to this book since that is a major part of our recent history. ( )
  KellyMiguelez | Oct 3, 2016 |
I love the different perspective the book gives on the story of 9/11. I think it is important to learn how different cultures were also impacted due to the event. The author does a great job of describing what happened in the eyes of someone who isn't from the United States. The descriptive details about how the sky looked and the sounds that rang through the air, allow the reader to put themselves in the story. The book also shows how different cultures view tragedy and what they do when something tragic happens.
  TaylorAtkinson | Sep 29, 2016 |
Of all the expressions of ­consolation sent to a grieving America after 9/11, perhaps none was as poignant as the gift of 14 cows from Maasai tribesmen in a remote corner of Kenya.

Carmen Agra Deedyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gonzalez, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Naiyomah, Wilson KimeliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To all the little children who read this book. You are the peace the world has been waiting for. May you grow to be compassionate diplomats.
The remote village waits for a story to be told.

Maasai tribal members, after hearing the story of the September 11th attacks from a young Massai, who was in New York on that day, decide to present the American people with fourteen sacred cows as a healing gift.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,406,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible