The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

The Unwritten Rule

by Elizabeth Scott

I guess I've grown up A LOT in the last year because when I read this book, I thought it was kinda cute and a good book. The more I think about it, the more I see how annoying it is and how wrong it is to have a YA book glorifying something like this. I may just read it again to write a more in depth review of why this book is horrible. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |
This was a cute, simple easy read. The author didn't have to put alot of thought in the plot. I think the story, can be realistic. I liked the main character and Ryan, but I didn't like Brianna. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
From the information on the jacket, I should have loved this story because it sounded like something I could have identified with when I was a teenager...liking a guy that your best friend is dating. While I understood that aspect and felt that it was a sort of cute story, I didn't really like it. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't good.

I could kind of identify with Sarah wanting to stay true to Brianna. She's been her best friend for years, but I don't really understand why they've been friends. Maybe Brianna was nice when they were little. Maybe Sarah really did feel indebted to her for rescuing her in kindergarten. Whatever the reason, I cannot understand why she would want to stay friends with someone like that or why she didn't understand just how selfish, inconsiderate, and manipulative Brianna was before the drama over Ryan. I get that you can have blinders up when it comes to friends--I've had them up with various friends in my own life. What I don't get is why her parents didn't try sooner to get Sarah to see how downright abusive Brianna was. Maybe they were afraid of her rebelling or something, but it seems like their daughter would have had much better self-esteem and more friends to hang around with if they had gotten her to see that Brianna used Sarah as an emotional punching bag. Sarah could see Brianna's mom's behavior as being offensive, so it is a little shocking that she couldn't see her own best friend basically copying that woman's tirades. And when she went back a few months later and is basically begging to have her best friend back in her life in some way, I wanted to scream at her and throw things.

I felt bad about how Brianna's parents treated her, but when it came to the relationship between Ryan and Sarah, I felt that Brianna was too whiny and hypocritical over the whole thing. After all, Brianna was cheating, too. And Brianna knew that Sarah liked Ryan. I even have a sneaking suspicion that Sam, Sarah's date to a dance once, wasn't completely to blame for the flirting session during the date. Brianna probably had a role in that. She just comes off as the kind of character who has to keep her best friend down in order to feel superior, and will sabotage anything good that happens in her best friend's life to do that. As the story unfolded, I felt less and less sorry for her until I almost wished that the reveal had been more devastating for her.

I'm glad that this book was so short because I have a feeling that I would have eventually given up on it. I probably would have given this book 2 stars instead of three except that I wanted to give it "props" for having a purple cover. I know that's probably shallow, but after reading this book, I deserve to be shallow. ( )
  janersm | Sep 2, 2013 |
Erin Quinty
September 27, 2012
Book Review
Class : The Bunny foo foos

The Unwritten Rule
The book The Unwritten Rule written by Elizabeth Scott is an amazing book about two best friends named Sarah and Brianna that go through some rough things. They have been best friends since kindergarten, and they are still best friends in high school. But everything changes when Brianna, the perfect most beautiful girl in the whole world according to everyone at school, wants Sarah to be just like her, her hair perfect and wearing the right clothes. Sarah is too shy to stand up to her; she’s been keeping it a secret all her life not wanting to hurt her only best friend. That’s not the only secret Sarah is keeping from Brianna. Why is Sarah keeping it a secret? Will Brianna find out? Will this secret end their friendship?
The Unwritten Rule is an amazing book that takes you on a journey through the protagonist, Sarah’s life. Elizabeth Scott is an amazing writer that deeply describes each character. She not only tells you about the Protagonist life but shows you. She uses vivid descriptive words that paint an image in your mind. I like how the story is told from Sarah. I can feel the emotions Sarah is feeling because it is from her point of view. I feel like I can be by her side throughout the story.
I would recommend this book to ages 13 and up. Readers from this age would enjoy reading this book because it describes a teen’s life and the ups and downs they experience throughout life. I would give this book 4½ star!
  br13erqu | Dec 16, 2012 |
this book was amazing i loved the romance and the girl drama with a girl who loves her best friends boyfriend. all that drama i legit couldnt but the book down. and i absoulutly hate reading but everything about this book was eye catching, it was so distracting to everything i was doing so i would read for hours on end especialy when im going through like the same thing kind of, well not really shes not my best friend she is more like a girl i now and she lives in sterling, and her boyfriend who incesently keeps flirting with me lives in sterling so maybe thats why i like this book so much because i can kinda relate but to anyone who loves romance and drama with teenagers this is your kind of book it has emotions laughs sensitivity and all along the way it has embarressing thoughts by the girl who likes he best friends boyfriend so just if i didnt make myself clear this book was terrible ... just kidding it was amazing !!!!! ( )
  ctmsmabo | Mar 9, 2012 |
You know whom I want to thank? You, the person reading this, because if it weren't for readers like you, this book wouldn't be here. Thank you!
I liked him first, but it doesn't matter.
This is the real unwritten rule: You don't want what you know you shouldn't. And I haven't just broken that rule. I have wrecked it, smashed it, and still...And still I want.
I've been taught that love is beautiful and kind, but it isn't like that at all. It is beautiful, but it's a terrible beauty, a ruthless one, and you fall--you fall, and the thing is--The thing is you want to. You don't care what's coming, you just want who your heart beats for.

The unwritten rule is plain: "You don't like your best friend's boyfriend." But Sarah does. She likes Ryan a lot, and she has for a very long time. They share a moment at a party, but the next thing she knows, he belongs to Brianna. Then one night, something happens that Sarah can't take back and doesn't want to. She feels guilty, she doesn't want to hurt her friend, but she can't stop thinking about Ryan, either.

Petite and young-looking, seventeen-year-old Sarah has been best friends with the glamorous and seductive Brianna forever, but when she starts liking Brianna's boyfriend, their friendship becomes precarious.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible