dismiss

When Gods Die

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (2)

In Brighton, England, in 1811, when the wife of an aging marquis is found dead in the arms of the Prince Regent, wearing an ancient necklace with mysterious ties to Sebastian St. Cyr, Sebastian turns sleuth to investigate the woman's death.
    The Cocoa Conspiracy by Andrea Penrose (Anonymous user)

There's a thing that happens to me because of my poly-reading ways. All my books all started right around the same day, and I couldn't seem to find the time and focus for any one.

Except this one. Don't get me wrong, we know IDGAF about DNF, so they are all fun and good reads. This, however, is absorbing. This isn't my typical genre (maybe that's why I was gravitating toward it)

But it's just plain engaging. I'm making an exception to my new rating standard, because though I'll never reread, it's just not a 3. Maybe I'll change that later, but for now I'm ok with it. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Another St. Cyr mystery, a less gruesome murder, which was more tolerable to read than Book 1. Fast-paced and not a predictable ending (at least for my reading). I did whip through the story at a faster rate than normal and appreciated the convoluted plot. CS Harris was skillfull in merging fact and fiction in this story. My favourite character continues to be the young scamp, Tom. Kat and Sebastian as lovers is becoming tedious and looks like a dead end. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 27, 2020 |
Book 2 in the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries series, Harris takes the reader once again on a intriguing mystery ride through the tumultuous political times of Regency England. Much to the dismay of Viscount Devlin's valet, Sebastian's search for answers involves numerous close calls with mysterious individuals and a rising damage count to Sebastian's wardrobe. Yes, I am being a bit cheeky, but I love this series. Harris's portrayal of the time period, her attention to detail and the continuing character development kept me riveted as the political intrigue mounts and we learn more about Sebastian's family, his mother's disappearance and the secrets that families keep. I am not a fan of the Sebastian/Kat romance angle. That just comes across as too contrived, probably included for readers who like a bit of romance in the historical mysteries they read. Thankfully, the romance is just a small part of the story and characters like Sebastian's young tiger Tom gets more coverage in the story.

Overall, another great mystery foray into Regency England and I am looking forward to listening to the next book in the series. ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 4, 2020 |
This time Sebastian isn’t the suspect but with the Prince Regent in the cross hairs of a frame-up, Sebastian is pulled into the mystery of why the woman was found dead in the Prince’s rooms. This mystery does bring up some of Sebastian’s family history surrounding his mother. The mystery is solved and justice is served even if it is never brought public. Another good read that the pages flew by and came to an end all too quickly. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
It's a breathless mystery with multiple chase scenes and a crowded historical setting, but it's not my cup of tea, so this is the last one, much as I like Tom and Kat and Sebastian. There is such suffering portrayed. Perhaps this is the only way we open our eyes to such inequities: in a sugar-coated mystery.

In the second to the last page, having already read about Sebastian's moral code (which he shares with his friend, the doctor) he declares he does not believe in God, per se, but in "a pattern that works itself out in ways we can't begin to understand." ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |

C. S. Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,038,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible