Halt's Peril (2009)

by John Flanagan

Tennyson, the false prophet of the Outsider cult, has escaped and Halt is determined to stop him before he crosses the border into Araluen, but Genovesan assassins put Will and Halt's extraordinary archery skills to the test.

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
Halt, Will and Horace get back to tracking down the religious zealot leader (Tennyson) and his hired assassins, who are stealing gold. Halt is shot with a poisoned Genovesan arrow, and saved by Will and his old friend, Malcolm the healer. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
The renegade outlaw group known as the Outsiders may have been chased from Clonmel, but not before killing Halt's only brother. Now Rangers Halt and Will, along with the young warrior Horace, are in pursuit. The Outsiders have done an effective job of dividing the kingdom into factions and are looking to overtake Araluen. It will take every bit of skill and cunning for the Rangers to survive. Some may not be so lucky. ( )
  Gmomaj | Nov 30, 2020 |
The finishing of the story begun in The Kings of Clonmell.

Pretty much the same comments as for Kings of Clonmell. These 2 books really should have been one. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
OK, when is this series going to end? ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
"This is the ninth book in the series and I absolutely love it. The bantering between Halt, Horace, and Will was amusing and I liked the action sequences a lot. It reminded me of my favorite book in the series, which is book three, since this one gave me the same heart broken feeling about Halt as book three made me feel about Will.

Although the realization that Halt is getting older and that he, as everybody else, might get more vulnerable as age catches up is sad, I really like how Flanagan brought awareness to this fact; he makes it so that Will and Horace perceive it little by little and start getting used to it, taking more responsibility over their shoulders little by little. I think Halt will have to retire at some point in the near future and that would be really sad... I can't imagine the series without him.

Another point that I really liked was Flanagan bringing attention to the dark side of religion, when it gets to obsession. It is well known that at some point in the Middle Ages religion got to the point where the Church got enough power and influence over the people that people were scared of it and also totally ignorant due to the lack of information enforced by protectionist religious politics. Since the atmosphere of this book is basically the same atmosphere as Middle Age Europe, in my opinion Flanagan does an awesome job of making analogies to that time and bringing some of the dark side of religion to the story with as much realism as possible.

The Last Passage
'My lady . . . Pauline, before we left, you asked me to look after him,' he said and she nodded.
'I remember.'
'Well, I didn't do a very good job of it. I should have realised something was wrong. I should have looked at that wound sooner. I knew he'd been hit but I just let it go. He was behaving strangely. The signals were all there and I should have seen them. But I just wasn't thinking. I should have done something sooner.'
She touched one gentle hand to his cheek. So young to feel so much responsibility, she thought fondly. She knew that she and Halt would probably never have children. This young man would be their son, she thought. And she couldn't have asked for a finer one.
'Pauline,' Will was saying, 'I came within an inch of failing you. I came within an inch of letting Halt down.'
'But you didn't, don't you see?' she told him. 'You didn't let him down. And I know you never will.'
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
There was a raw wind blowing off the small harbour.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,492,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible