White Cat

by Holly Black

Series: Curse Workers (1)

English (188)  Swedish (1)  All languages (189)
It's been on my to-read list for awhile so I picked it up for my plane rides Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. I really wish I hadn't put it off for so long cause now I don't have access to book 2 till I get back ;( I like it way more than I thought I would... I wasn't really expecting much, just the average YA book ya' know? But it was totally original and awesome! I can't wait to read the rest!

So now that I got that all put lol time for an actual REVIEW. For starters, it had a guy main character; something that doesn't come around too often (at least for me). Holly Black pulled at off perfectly and the original idea of Curse Workers fit into society and was very believable. The fact that he has memories of killing his best friend Lila who he loved made the book intense and all of the plot twists kept me at the edge of my seat dying to find out what was going to happen next! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
A unique series that I enjoyed listening to during my commute.

My library's summary: When Cassel Sharpe discovers that his older brothers have used him to carry out their criminal schemes and then stolen his memories, he figures out a way to turn their evil machinations against them.

I've also listened to and enjoyed the other two books in the series:

- Red Glove #2: My library's summary: When federal agents learn that seventeen-year-old Cassel Sharpe, a powerful transformation worker, may be of use to them, they offer him a deal to join them rather than the mobsters for whom his brothers work.
- Black Heart #3: My library's summary: Cassel Sharpe, a powerful transformation worker, is torn between his decision to work for the federal government and his love for Lila, who has joined her father's criminal organization. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
Teen fiction; suspense/mystery, dark magic. This is the first Holly Black I've read and while the writing was pretty good (and very dark! would definitely put this in the "for older teens" category) I found the first half of the book frustrating--the main character has an obvious mystery and tons of unresolved issues to solve but chooses instead to talk about seemingly inconsequential minutiae for chapters and chapters (and chapters). It turns out that there is a reason for this, but it's maddening to kind of know what needs to happen in the story, while the main character refuses to make any sort of move in that direction. I probably won't be recommending this title to anyone anytime soon. It may be better on the second read, but that'd be sort of like having to watch "memento" more than once, wouldn't it? I may eventually try some of Black's other series, which I suspect won't have the same character issues. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Black's new series is immediatly different than her Modern Fairytale books, but she creates the magic-laced world of the corse-workers with typical aplomb. The story opens mid-action, with our protagonist having sleep-walked onto the roof of his boarding school dorms, and we are not given much backstory to the scene. This is a bit confusing initially, as we struggle to know more about the political implications of an illegal magic system, the trauma that set our protagonist's story out, and the myriad of characters influencing his life (and their complicated forms of magic), but Black eventually gets all of this information out. What I liked most about the series thus far is that Black has chosen to pair her penchant for urban magic with the very-realistic world of the criminal underground - intruducing the idea of gangster families based on the illegality of curse-work. Not only does this made for some highly entertaining scenarios, but it also gives us a different perspective and reaction to magic. Magic may be out in the open, but the danger and violence that it has the potential to create has caused a very negative reaction from the non-magic users. Black has set herself up with a very interesting world to explore, and I am definitely looking forward to reading more! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
I read this in 5 hours - from 10 at night to three in the morning on a Sunday with college the next day and a test in 4 weeks. The pacing was fantastic, the characters complex and the mystery contained plenty of suspense. I loved the author's worldbuilding and their ideas, it was fantastic. Also, I have never read a book where the protagonist is a "conman", it was a very new and interesting perspective to read from, so I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Especially when Cassel isn't actually a "conman" or a bad person per se - the criminal aspect in him is kept innocent.
Not sure if it's the kind of book I would reread though, given that it's strength is in the suspense and the unknown. ( )
  amberdahlwijk | Jan 21, 2021 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisenberg, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For all the fictional cats I've killed in other books.
I wake up barefoot, standing on cold slate tiles.

Cassel comes from a family of curse workers -- people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail -- he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

Holly Black has created a gripping tale of mobsters and dark magic where a single touch can bring love -- or death -- and your dreams might be more real than your memories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,294,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible