The Nick Adams Stories (1972)

by Ernest Hemingway

The famous "Nick Adams" stories show a memorable character growing from child to adolescent to soldier, veteran, writer, and parent -- a sequence closely paralleling the events of Hemingway's life.

It was an interesting idea to combine in one collection all the stories, published and unpublished, that have Nick Adams as the protagonist, but the result is a mixed bag. Some of the manuscripts discovered after Hemingway’s death are mere fragments, while the longest of the previously unknown texts, “The Last Good Country,” reads more like a passage from a novel than a story that can stand on its own. Yet there are sentences and paragraphs that are impeccable, the opening paragraph of “In Another Country,” for instance. Max Perkins held that a person who could remember and describe the way the sky looked decades ago was a writer; there are passages here that show what he meant. One is the account in “Fathers and Sons” of Nick recalling the various ways the ground along a trail he took through the woods as a child felt underfoot. Another story, “Alpine Idyll,” is reminiscent of Turgenev. All in all, a good read. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
Autobiographical short stories of the author's youth ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 15, 2017 |
The Nick Adams Stories by Ernest Hemingway
Really enjoyed the stories from the younger years as they remind me of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.
Interesting how the stories parallel the author's life, good to hear them in chronical order rather than in bits and pieces as I have over the years.
  jbarr5 | Apr 15, 2016 |
My attention has been elsewhere lately, mostly on NaNoWriMo and my own writing, so I wasn't sure if I would do any more than choose a star rating and move on after finishing The Nick Adams Stories. However, I want to throw some of the blame for my current state of disinterest in Hemingway's direction, or at least towards those who posthumously pieced together this volume. I understand the need and desire for a collection like this, with works both finished and unfinished, polished and trashed, all thrown together in some sort of chronological Nick Adams life-order. Still, only about half of the stories held my interest to the end. Much of this collection drives home Hemingway's good judgement -- he knew better than to publish every scrap of beautiful prose he penned. ( )
  cshoughton | Jan 1, 2014 |
Beautiful stripped down language. Great vivid setting depiction. Great characters and dialogue Great story arcs that leave you thinking. Great control of tone and mood. Great. ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
"'The Nick Adams Stories' neither add nor detract from Hemingway's memory, and it is good to have a collection of the good ones, but this present arrangement does not create any new synergism."

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duhamel, MarcelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskari, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Llona, VictorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weymer, Ott deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, PhilipPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zins, CélineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nick was undressing in the tent. (Three Shots)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,567,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible