Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy…

Our Lady of Immaculate Deception

by Nancy Martin

Series: Roxy Abruzzo (1)

Roxy Abruzzo, tough & feisty, runs an architectural reclamation business, not always on the up & up, but hey, it makes her a living.

Her current client, Julius Hyde, is dead as. His wife, Monica, has been looting her mother-in-law's house of high-end artwork for years and has torched it, which is where Roxy comes in...

While salvaging the remains of the once great house Roxy stumbles upon a Greek antiquity of Achilles hidden in the garden and with the help of her loyal but not-so-bright muscle, Nooch, Roxy adds the statue to her cache of salvage items.

Then there is Dorothy (Dodo) Hyde, matriarch, Julius' mother; living in a residential home and going in and out of a coma as desired... She's willing to write off her losses, after all these are her progeny, but not Achilles. Dodo sends her attorney, Henry, to get back her treasure or else.

Also in the mix: Sage, Roxy's daughter who is living with Loretta, widowed aunt & tough-as-nails attorney; Flynn, Sage's father, ex-marine, & chef; and Roxy's Uncle Carmine, who is ill & would like Roxy to take over his business for him.

I liked Roxy, her crazy family, & friends and I didn't figure out who-done-it, but I really didn't try as I was swept away with the story.

There is no end to the action and on-the-edge humor, which can be compared to Carl Hiaasen, although not as finely crafted. But the book held my interest, I was up until 4:00 am in order to finish it.

The book seemed very familiar to me, the name Abruzzo rang a bell. Then I remembered that I had begun another series, The Blackbird Sisters (which I dropped) had a character named Nick Abruzzo in it. Turns out to be by the same author. I know I'll not be returning to complete The Blackbird Sisters but I'll give Roxy a second go around. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Apr 23, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book. It was pretty fast paced and just a fun mindless read. A good beach book if you don't want anything too deep. Roxy is spunky and a little out of control but a strong character with heart who has messed up but trying to be good. I'm reading the follow up and look forward to continuing reading about Roxy's life. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
With a nod to her Blackbird Sisters series, Martin introduces us to Roxy Abruzzo, a slightly mob-connected, sex-obssessed, architectural salvage specialist. She and soon to be off parole assistant, Nooch, stumble onto a murder mystery after "salvaging" what turns out to be a priceless Greek statue from the Hyde estate. There are only so many incarnations of Stephanie Plum possible and although the mystery was fine, I don't know if I'll bother checking in with Roxy again. ( )
  ethel55 | May 10, 2010 |
Though I was disappointed to find out that Nancy Martin wouldn't be doing any more Blackbird books in the forseeable future, I was definitely looking forward to her new series beaturing Michael's half-sister, Roxy. Devoured it in a day. While it may take a while to warm up to Roxy, a wise-ass, smart-mouth single mom she's only one in a string of fascinating Pittsburgh characters I'm looking forward to getting to know as the series continues. The problem, now, is waiting patiently for book two. ( )
  thebookbabe | Mar 8, 2010 |

Nancy Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Robert Jeffrey Christopher
The only witness to the arson was a one-armed marble statue of a naked man with ivy growing where his fig leaf should have been.

Roxy Abruzzo, a reluctant Mafia princess and neighborhood do-gooder, kicks off a chain reaction of mayhem when she steals a sculpture.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,085,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible