The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan

The Dreamer

by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Other authors: Peter Sis (Illustrator)

English (68)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
Pretty dreamy...this title seems to be in search of an audience. I wanted to like it and found that, while Ryan's fine prose depiction of Neruda's childhood highlights some interesting facets of Neruda's not easy childhood, the story, which includes some of Neruda's poetry at the end, does depict a pained, haunting childhood & adolescence, but not one that I can imagine recommending to a child. I'll try it and see what happens.

This title was donated to the Library by a huge fan of Ryan's who loved it. It was read by other Ryan fans who shared this love, so it seems to pass muster with its intended audience. I've been pairing it with Monica Brown's beautifully illustrated "Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People." ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
It's no wonder this is an award-winning book with it having earned the Pura Belpre Award for Pam Munoz Ryan's writing and how it celebrates Latino culture. This is a story based on the poet Pablo Neruda's childhood and the challenges he faced especially with his father. ( )
  norwaykate | Jul 18, 2018 |
Bored. So bored. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 18, 2018 |
Beautiful! I am reading it at the same time as a few of my students. We are all in love with Neftali's beautiful story and his struggle to fulfill his dream of becoming a writer and poet against his abusive father's demands for him never to write! ( )
  mpettit7974 | Dec 21, 2017 |

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my reader, this book is for you. Wander into the infinite space between soul and star. I am waiting for you there. ~ PMR To our family house Nerudova 19 Prague ~ PS
On a continent of many songs, in a country shaped like the arm of a tall guitarrista, the rain drummed down on the town of Temuco.

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4: Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.2 Read widely and fluently to make connections with self, the world, and previous reading.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand everyone has different dreams and goals for their life.  Listen to what your heart says and do it.

A breathtaking illustrated novel from Pura Belpre Award winner, Pam Ryan, and MacArthur fellow and three-time Caldecott Honoree, Peter Sis!

From the time he is a young boy, Neftalí hears the call of a mysterious voice. Even when the neighborhood children taunt him, and when his harsh, authoritarian father ridicules him, and when he doubts himself, Neftalí knows he cannot ignore the call. Under the canopy of the lush rain forest, into the fearsome sea, and through the persistent Chilean rain, he listens and he follows. . . Combining elements of magical realism with biography, poetry, literary fiction, and sensorial, transporting illustrations, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Peter Sís take readers on a rare journey of the heart and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

A fictionalized biography of the Nobel Prize-winning Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, who grew up a painfully shy child, ridiculed by his overbearing father, but who became one of the most widely-read poets in the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible