The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan

The Dreamer

by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Other authors: Peter Sis (Illustrator)

Recently added byMariaFigueroa, private library, BeiraBrown, ShelBrennan, JessicaMarlin

English (71)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
This book is about a young boy named Neftali, who is constantly imagining and exploring the world around him. He faces struggles from his abusive father to his brother and the children at school who bully him. This book uses vivid imagery and onomatopoeias in order to create a picture and give sound to what the reader is reading. This would be an excellent tool to unite a class as well as teach certain elements of English in a way that they can see them. For all the reasons that I have listed and because this story was presented so beautifully by the author, I gave this book 5 stars. ( )
  sgg014 | Mar 16, 2019 |
The true story of one of the most famous Chilean poets: Pablo Neruda. As a child, he liked to dream, and see beauty in nature. He grew up in a southern city in Chile where he struggled living with a father who did not appreciate him and treated him very poorly. A touchy story of Neruda’s stuttering shy childhood, but with a happy ending.
  pitaaortiz | Nov 26, 2018 |
Neftalí Reyes is a young Chilean boy who has a creative wandering mind. Always pausing to daydream and collect mementos on his walks, his stern father declares him to be worthless, and eventually goes so far as to burn his journals and condemn his writing talent. Finally he choses a penname Pablo Neruda and we learn that this has been the story of the famous poet.

This story really got my emotions running. I could not help but feel intense anger toward Neftalí's father. But the author did include one view of him that I really loved, that he is so controlled by his own past that he feels the need to control his children's. I loved this biographical account of Pablo Neruda which was a joy to read.
  maryganderson | Nov 9, 2018 |
Pretty dreamy...this title seems to be in search of an audience. I wanted to like it and found that, while Ryan's fine prose depiction of Neruda's childhood highlights some interesting facets of Neruda's not easy childhood, the story, which includes some of Neruda's poetry at the end, does depict a pained, haunting childhood & adolescence, but not one that I can imagine recommending to a child. I'll try it and see what happens.

This title was donated to the Library by a huge fan of Ryan's who loved it. It was read by other Ryan fans who shared this love, so it seems to pass muster with its intended audience. I've been pairing it with Monica Brown's beautifully illustrated "Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People." ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my reader, this book is for you. Wander into the infinite space between soul and star. I am waiting for you there. ~ PMR To our family house Nerudova 19 Prague ~ PS
On a continent of many songs, in a country shaped like the arm of a tall guitarrista, the rain drummed down on the town of Temuco.

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4: Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.2 Read widely and fluently to make connections with self, the world, and previous reading.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand everyone has different dreams and goals for their life.  Listen to what your heart says and do it.

A breathtaking illustrated novel from Pura Belpre Award winner, Pam Ryan, and MacArthur fellow and three-time Caldecott Honoree, Peter Sis!

From the time he is a young boy, Neftalí hears the call of a mysterious voice. Even when the neighborhood children taunt him, and when his harsh, authoritarian father ridicules him, and when he doubts himself, Neftalí knows he cannot ignore the call. Under the canopy of the lush rain forest, into the fearsome sea, and through the persistent Chilean rain, he listens and he follows. . . Combining elements of magical realism with biography, poetry, literary fiction, and sensorial, transporting illustrations, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Peter Sís take readers on a rare journey of the heart and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

A fictionalized biography of the Nobel Prize-winning Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, who grew up a painfully shy child, ridiculed by his overbearing father, but who became one of the most widely-read poets in the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible