Burning Bright: Stories by Ron Rash

Burning Bright: Stories (2010)

by Ron Rash

Not happy, but very satisfying short stories. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
An excellent collection of short stories set in Rash's very own postage stamp of soil, the North Carolina hill country, at various times in history. The writing is superb, with characters that step right off the page (or in my case, screen) and inhabit my world for the span of their story. Someone is dead or dying in almost every selection, and not much pretty stuff happens, but there is little real violence here, despite portrayals of grim poverty, desperation, defeat and greed. As always with short story collections, there were a couple that didn't quite work for me, and a couple that will stick with me a long time. I give the collection 4 stars. This was my first e-read, and I think short stories will work quite well for me in this format.
May 2015 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Dec 23, 2016 |
Just read this in two sittings, less than 24 hours, and it was so enjoyable. I didn't even have time to make it a "currently reading". Just lovely, lovely, writing, and sad little stories. ( )
  corioreo | Sep 16, 2016 |
An excellent collection of short stories by a powerful voice from Appalachia.
Ron Rash was an author new to me, but now I know that I'd like to read anything else by him as his simple, spare, and penetrating style really appeals to me.

These twelve stories open a window on life in a part of the world not too often looked at. One of my favourites - "Dead Confederates" - is about two labourers, one trying to exploit the other in a search for lucrative buried artifacts in the graves of Confederate servicemen. Here's a flavour:

'He shuts up for a moment then, because he's starting to realise how easy it all sounds, and how much money I might start figuring to be my share. He lays his big yellow front teeth out on his lower lip, worrying his mind to figure a way to take back some of what he just said.'

'"Course they ain't going to pay near the price I showed you on them sheets. We'll be lucky to get half of that."..."Just wait for a clear night, and a big old Harvest Moon.," Wesley says, looking up at the sky like he might be expecting one to show up any minute. "That and keep your mouth shut about it. I've not told another person about this and I want it to stay that way."'
---
'"I'll loosen the dirt and you shovel it away," Wesley gasps, veins sticking out on his neck like there's a noose around it. "We can get it out faster that way."

Funny you didn't think of that till it was your turn to dig, I'm thinking, but that dog has set loose the fear in me more than any time since we drove up. I take the shovel and we're making the dirt fly, Wesley doing more work in fifteen minutes than he's done in twelve years on the road crew.'

In "Burning Bright" an east Tennessee rancher's widow comes to the heartbreaking realisation that her quiet and hard-working second husband could be the local arsonist setting fires in the peak of a drought.

'The worst drought in a decade, the weatherman had said, showing a ten-year chart of August rainfalls. As if Marcie needed a chart when all she had to do was look at her tomatoes shrivelled on the vines, the corn shucks grey and papery as a hornet's nest. She stepped off the porch and dragged a length of hose into the garden, its rubber the sole bright green among the rows, grasping the hose just below the metal mouth, as if it were a snake that could bite her. When she finished she looked at the sky a last time and went inside. She thought of Carl, wondering if he'd be late again. She thought about the cigarette lighter he carried in his front pocket, a wedding gift she'd brought him in Gatlinburg.'

In "Waiting For the End of the World" a divorced part-time copy proofer plays guitar at a local roadhouse. His ex-wife's father is out to catch him doing something, anything, with his time that can be used against him - ("We're just getting some additional evidence as to your parental fitness.") so turns up at the gig ready to provoke a fight.

'And speaking of gene pools, I suddenly see Everette Evans, the man that, to my immense regret, is twenty-five percent of the genetic makeup of my son. He's standing in the doorway, a camcorder in his hands. Everette lingers on Hubert a few seconds, then the various casualties of the evening before finally honing in on me.'
"What are you up to, Everette?" I say.
---
"What's the problem, Devon?" Hubert says, walking over from the bar.
"This man's working for National Geographic," I tell Hubert. "They're doing a show on primitive societies, claiming people like us are the missing link between apes and humans."
"That's a lie," Everette says, his eyes on Hubert's ball bat.'

These are stories of neglect and want, war secrets and hard times and strokes of luck. Whether they are set in an 1860s Boone smallholding, or 1945 Charlotte welcoming home a returning soldier, or are about middle-class meth addicts in Smoky Mountains National Park; the places and characters that Ron Rash introduced to me will remain vivid in the memory. A very good collection. ( )
1 vote Polaris- | Aug 2, 2015 |
This is the second collection of Ron Rash stories that I've read, and it's even darker than the stories were in Nothing Gold.
The stories are vivid and gripping, but not the kind of stuff that his local Chamber of Commerce probably wants to be published. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Mar 2, 2015 |
For Sue Holder Rash
Jacob stood in the barn mouth and watched Edna leave the henhouse.

Captures the eerie beauty, stark violence, and rugged character of Appalachia in a collection of stories that spans the Civil War to the present day.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,024,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible