All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The…

All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity (1982)

by Marshall Berman

596None16,360 (4.08)12

Tudo que é sólido desmancha no ar – a frase foi tirada do Manifesto Comunista, e é considerada por Berman como a essência da modernidade. Ele discute o Fausto de Goethe, Karl Marx, Baudelaire, Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoiévski, Bieli, Mandelstam como experiências da modernidade, como relação entre o modernismo e a modernização social e econômica. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book has completely shifted my thinking on modernity whilst being a joy to read. Passion oozes from the pages. I'd write more, but I don't think I could do it justice. If you're in any way interested in the concepts of modernity or postmodernity, read this book. ( )
1 vote BeeQuiet | Jun 2, 2010 |
Non Fiction, An extraordinary book, Critical Theory, Cultural Theory, Criticism, Cultural studies, Modernism, Modernity, Urban studies, "For most of my life, since I learned that I was living in ‘a modern building’ and growing up as part of ‘a modern family, ’ in the Bronx of thirty years ago, I have been fascinated by the meanings of modernity. In this book, I have tried to open up some of these dimensions of meaning, to explore and chart the adventures and horrors, the ambiguities and ironies of modern life. The book moves and develops through a number of ways of reading: of text - Goethe's Faust, the Communist Manifesto, Notes from Underground, and many more; but also I try to read spatial and social environments - small towns, big construction sites, dams and power plants, Joseph Paxton's Crystal Palace, Hausmann's Parisian boulevards, Petersburg prospects, Robert Mose's highways through New York...”; First published by Penguin Books, New York, 1982; First Italian edition, Bologna, Il Mulino, 1985, under the title: "L'esperienza della modernità" ( )
  Voglioleggere | Nov 19, 2008 |
Very interesting especally the section on Brasilia. ( )
  justine | Sep 16, 2006 |
It is hard to reread these 1960s pastorals without feeling nostalgic sadness, not so much for the hippies of yesterday as for the virtually unanimous belief--shared by those upright citizens who most despised hippies--that a life of stable abundance, leisure and well-being was here to stay.
If we look behind the sober scenes that the members of the bourgeoisie create, and see the way they really work and act, we see that these solid citizens would tear down the world if it paid. ... . Their secret--a secret they have managed to keep even from themselves--is that, behind their facades they are the most violently destructive ruling class in history.

All that Is Solid Melts into Air is widely acclaimed as one of the greatest books on modernity. A kaleidoscopic journey into the experiences of modernization, the dizzying social changes that swept millions of people into the capitalist world, it dexterously interweaves an exploration of modernism in art, literature, and architecture and is a dazzling exploration of modern consciousness. Cultural studies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible