All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The…

All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity (1982)

by Marshall Berman

Tudo que é sólido desmancha no ar – a frase foi tirada do Manifesto Comunista, e é considerada por Berman como a essência da modernidade. Ele discute o Fausto de Goethe, Karl Marx, Baudelaire, Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoiévski, Bieli, Mandelstam como experiências da modernidade, como relação entre o modernismo e a modernização social e econômica. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book has completely shifted my thinking on modernity whilst being a joy to read. Passion oozes from the pages. I'd write more, but I don't think I could do it justice. If you're in any way interested in the concepts of modernity or postmodernity, read this book. ( )
2 vote BeeQuiet | Jun 2, 2010 |
Non Fiction, An extraordinary book, Critical Theory, Cultural Theory, Criticism, Cultural studies, Modernism, Modernity, Urban studies, "For most of my life, since I learned that I was living in ‘a modern building’ and growing up as part of ‘a modern family, ’ in the Bronx of thirty years ago, I have been fascinated by the meanings of modernity. In this book, I have tried to open up some of these dimensions of meaning, to explore and chart the adventures and horrors, the ambiguities and ironies of modern life. The book moves and develops through a number of ways of reading: of text - Goethe's Faust, the Communist Manifesto, Notes from Underground, and many more; but also I try to read spatial and social environments - small towns, big construction sites, dams and power plants, Joseph Paxton's Crystal Palace, Hausmann's Parisian boulevards, Petersburg prospects, Robert Mose's highways through New York...”; First published by Penguin Books, New York, 1982; First Italian edition, Bologna, Il Mulino, 1985, under the title: "L'esperienza della modernità" ( )
  Voglioleggere | Nov 19, 2008 |
Very interesting especally the section on Brasilia. ( )
  justine | Sep 16, 2006 |
It is hard to reread these 1960s pastorals without feeling nostalgic sadness, not so much for the hippies of yesterday as for the virtually unanimous belief--shared by those upright citizens who most despised hippies--that a life of stable abundance, leisure and well-being was here to stay.
If we look behind the sober scenes that the members of the bourgeoisie create, and see the way they really work and act, we see that these solid citizens would tear down the world if it paid. ... . Their secret--a secret they have managed to keep even from themselves--is that, behind their facades they are the most violently destructive ruling class in history.

"The political and social revolutions of the nineteenth century, the pivotal writings of Goethe, Marx, Dostoevsky, and others, and the creation of new environments to replace the old - all have thrust us into a modern world of contradictions and ambiguities. In this fascinating book, Marshall Berman examines the clash of classes, histories, and cultures, and ponders our prospects for coming to terms with the relationship between a liberating social and philosophical idealism and a complex, bureaucratic materialism. From a reinterpretation of Karl Marx to an incisive consideration of the impact of Robert Moses on modern urban living, Berman charts the progress of the twentieth-century experience. He concludes that adaptation to continual flux is possible and that therein lies our hope for achieving a truly modern society."--back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,938,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible