Death Note, Volume 5: Whiteout (2003)

by Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

Series: Death Note (5)

1,2411911,840 (4.15)11
L asks Light, though he is still under suspicion, to join the taskforce and help locate the second Kira. Light agrees so he can access the taskforce resources, but when he finally meets the new Kira, she's not at all what he expects.

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I liked this part less compared to the previous ones. Without spoiling I can only say that it takes rather a big turn from the rest of the series so far, and it's not the most interesting part of Death Note. However, it does fit in the bigger scheme and it not like it is not nice to read. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
The story progressed with L-agents being stupid and nearly getting themselves killed and dealing with the stresses of the investigation. We see Light's dad go through a brief confinement and tricking Light that puts him (the dad) through some serious stress.

Light and Misa were exceptionally dull this time around as was the overall story. I found myself dragging my feet about reading this. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Love this series. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
2014 Review:

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer Synopsis A second Kira appears, and it seems they have greater powers than Light. And Light starts a long term plan that creates a Third Kira while clearing him and his new girlfriend, Misa, of having anything to do with the original or 2nd Kira. My Thoughts A second Kira appears and appears that Kira2 wants to hook up with Kira. So Light maneuvers things, while trying to avoid L, to meet Kira2. And once Light and Misa [who is Kira2] are together, Light must come up with a plan to fool L, kill him and then get rid of Misa. Meanwhile, L is still convinced that Light is Kira, no matter the evidence. And puts Light, Light's father and Misa all in confinement for almost 2 months to try to get some more info to prove Light is Kira.
And finally, Light gives his notebook to another person to throw L off the scent. And loses his memory in the process and goes back to good old Light who wants to catch Kira. Yep, folks, these 3 volumes have more twisty, turny, unnecessary, silly, awesome and totally over the top moments than you can shake a stick at. There is also a lot of text. In most manga, as much of the story is told through the art as through the text. Here, that simply isn't possible. "Thinking" specific thoughts can't be really drawn, you know? On the down side of things, L's gut instinct that Light is Kira is getting annoying. He's right, but it has nothing to do with Logic or evidence. And Light is turning really scary. He's willing to kill off innocents, planning on it in fact, to further his aims. I'm still liking this, but the second impression isn't nearly as faultless as the first. Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Author: Tsugumi Ohba Artist: Takeshi Obata

2007 Review:

Light gets Ryuk to get rid of his Deathnote, so he forgets everything concerning it. Rem gives Misa's deathnote to someone else to save her, per Light's orders. So "Kira" is now a business person amongst a group of 8, and L and Light[who is now dedicated to bringing Kira to justice since he doesn't remember that he WAS Kira] are trying to figure out who. I like this series. I was wondering how the author was going to stretch out the battle of wits between L and Light, but with this "give the Deathnote" away plot, it really is good. I will probably buy this unless the later volumes make that impossible. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Tsugumi Ohbaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Obata, TakeshiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,167,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible