Neanderthal by John Darnton

Neanderthal (1996)

by John Darnton

English (11)  Spanish (2)  All languages (13)
This book just did not hold my interest. Sometimes it was disappointing. the story had many little stories that seem to be building then just ended and never really resolved. The big story resolved but the internal ones did not. ( )
  gac53 | Mar 30, 2018 |
If you are willing to suspend belief, this is an interesting 'what if' book about the possibility of Neanderthals having survived in small communities in very remote places, and also having the power of telepathy. I think I could have done without the whole 'secret agency with potentially nefarious purposes' side plot - on one hand it added some action to the book, but I also didn't feel like it was well resolved. I think the relationship between the main characters also could have been developed a little better. But overall, for a quick sci-fi read, it wasn't bad.
  GretchenLynn | Dec 30, 2017 |
Anthropology fans will love this book. It was a bit long in descriptions but overall a very good read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I didn't like this book much, I don't read thrillers and the basic premise is an old old one. But I kept reading it, si I guess it works as a thriller. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I was excited about this book when I first picked it up in a bargain bin. I love anthropology and science fiction and this seemed like a nice mix of the two. Unfortunately, the story never really develops that "can't put it down" momentum. I found myself frequently bored and often knew exactly where the story was going long before it got there. In the end, there was nothing special about the story nor did it really entertain me. ( )
  jclark88 | Jun 23, 2011 |

John Darntonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

They possess powers humans cannot even imagine.

They have existed for over 40,000 years.

And they are about to alter the face of civilization forever.

Far away, in the mountains of Northern Asia, a guerilla fighter vanishes, a schoolgirl is murdered, and an eminent Harvard paleontologist disappears. To a shadowy government agency in Maryland, these are all signs that something has gone terribly wrong with the most extraordinary expedition ever mounted. Matt Mattison and Susan Arnot, once lovers and now academic rivals, are dispatched to find the secret their Harvard mentor was seeking -- a species linked to the origins of mankind.

In the most eagerly anticipated adventure novel of the year, Pulitzer Prize -- winning author John Darnton takes you on a fantastic journey that will make you believe the impossible. Neanderthal combines breathtaking suspense, thorough scientific research, and dazzling storytelling as archaeologists and rival governments attempt to track down a relic band of creatures.

Neanderthal. Their time has come.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312963009, Mass Market Paperback)

An exciting novel that will do for pre-historic man what Jurassic Park did for Tyrannosaurus Rex.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

Not since Jurassic Park has a novel so enthralled readers everywhere. Now, enter the world of Neanderthal... The expedition of the century...uncovers the find of the millennium...Neanderthal. In the remote mountains of central Asia, an eminent Harvard archeologist discovers something extraordinary. He sends a cryptic message to two colleagues. But then, he disappears. Matt Mattison and Susan Arnot-- once lovers, now academic rivals-- are going where few humans have ever walked, looking for a relic band of creatures that have existed for over 40,000 years, that possess powers man can only imagine, and that are about to change the face of civilization forever. In the remote mountains of central Asia, an eminent Harvard archeologist discovers something extraordinary. He sends a cryptic message to two colleagues. But then, he disappears. Matt Mattison and Susan Arnot--once lovers, now academic rivals--are going where few humans have ever walked, looking for a relic band of creatures that have existed for over 40,000 years, that possess powers man can only imagine, and that are about to change the face of civilization forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible