Circle of Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini

Circle of Quilters (2006)

by Jennifer Chiaverini

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the books in the series but this one I had a VERY hard time putting down. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This was one of the best in the series so far. Most of the book was stories about the applicants to the Elm Creek Quilters. ( )
  KamGeb | Mar 6, 2014 |
Circle of Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini
This Elm Creek Manor story is about the quilters of the manor. A few of the founding members want to leave and
they are faced with getting replacements.
Maggie has bought a quilt at the garage sale for $5 and it's one that is over 133 years old.
She brings it to the circle quilters and they can identify many of the squares. Love all the research she does by traveling to Lowell, MA where the woman lived prior to her marrying the owner of the mill.
She travels to Elm Creek to apply for the job of teacher.
Karen is another applicant for the job opening.
Love that the founders are still involved in the camp process and I recall their stories from other Elm Creek books.
Love the idea of cookies decorated like quilt squares-I can't even imagine the time it takes!
And Anna is a chef that wants the new job at the manor-it'd be a step up for her. She is also a quilter. Her love interest is going sour...
Russel is another the book follows. He and Elaine are runners and their goals turn to charities dealing with cancer. Elaine dies and he takes up quilting and also applies for the job at Elm Creek.
Gretchen is another applying fot the job. She's always wanted her own quilt shop.
Interesting to learn who they picked and why...
  jbarr5 | Oct 25, 2013 |
I am not a quilter. I tried the first book in this series because I tend to get eyestrain and was searching my local library's collection of audio books for something that might be interesting. It was. Now I have a few paperbacks from the series for my own.

The chapters that introduce us to the candidates for the two openings at Elm Creek Quilt Camp give us sketches of what kind of people they are and what leads them to apply for the positions. Those chapters also cover the struggle for respect for traditional women's work as well as the struggle between career and home.

Maggie Flynn's rescue of a beautiful antique quilt changes her life, helped by the quilters at the nursing home where she works. Ms. Chiaverini sneaks in a lesson about the danger of profits-over-people thinking in healthcare while she's at it. Because my love of history comes from my interest in people, I loved why Maggie cared about the woman who sewed that beloved quilt.

Nate, the husband of candidate two, Karen Wise, annoyed me. He's not a total pre-Women's Lib husband, but he has a way to go. Karen's interview was the laugh-and-wince variety.

Like Maggie, Anna Del Maso already has a career. She also has a dream, a dream better than the boyfriend who is an obvious mismatch to the reader. Will Anna figure that out? (His reaction to a fancy home-cooked meal she makes for him made me think wistfully of garbage disposals.)

Russell McIntyre is no Nate or Gordon. He was a loving and supportive husband and stepfather who lost wife to cancer. For him, quilting starts with sewing together the last quilt his beloved designed. Russ moves on to designing his own quilts. I can identify with his problems with being a male quilter in a female quilter world. I still remember what it was like growing up hearing Gee, I never met a GIRL comic book/science fiction fan before. He's lucky that he has the internet to help him discover he's not the only one.

Gretchen Hartley was my favorite candidate. Her Gordon is a "friend" named Heidi. Gretchen should listen to what her husband, Joe, has to say about Heidi. He may not have known Heidi as long as Gretchen has, but he knows her much better.

Not all of the candidates can win one of those coveted positions, but even those who don't get hired are left off than before. This series reminds me of my loved cozy mystery series -- without the murders. Can't say that I miss that part. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 5, 2011 |
Elm Creek Quilts has openings for two new teachers since two of its founders will soon be leaving for other pursuits. Who will join their [Circle of Quilters]? Five candidates have been selected to interview for the positions. Readers meet each of them in turn as Chiaverini tells the stories of their lives and how they became quilters. I liked some of the candidates better than others, and I could sympathize with the Elm Creek Quilters as they weighed the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate and made their final selections.

One fun aspect of the book is that each interviewee encounters one of the others at the interview, and readers get to experience the encounters from each participant's perspective. Chiaverini used a multiple perspective technique in The Master Quilter and I didn't care for it in that book. It worked for me this time, probably because the encounters were brief and thus the book didn't involve a lot of repetition.

Readers new to the series shouldn't start with this one. The Elm Creek Quilters make only short appearances without much introduction in each of the first five sections, so readers will need some familiarity with their personalities and the group dynamics from earlier books in the series.

The book ended with some unresolved situations, and I expect the stories will continue in subsequent books in the series. If I keep reading the series in publication order, it looks like I've got a couple more books to read before getting to the continuation of events from this book. Do I skip ahead to the next book chronologically, or do I stick with publication order? I've got a decision to make! ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Jun 30, 2011 |
To Nicholas and Michael Chiaverini. I love you a million billion. I love you infinity.
Every morning after breakfast, the Courtyard Quilters gathered in the recreation room of Ocean View Hills Retirement Community and Convalescent Center to quilt, swap stories about their grandchildren, and gossip about the other residents.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074326021X, Paperback)

When Elm Creek Quilts announces openings for two new teachers, quilters everywhere are vying to land the prestigious post. The impending departure of two founding members means untold changes for the Elm Creek Quilters. As they begin the interview process, a single question emerges: Who can possibly take the place of beloved colleagues and friends?

"We must evaluate all of the applicants' qualities," advises Master Quilter Sylvia Compson. "Our choice will say as much about us as it says about who we decide to hire." Who merits a place among the circle of quilters? Will it be Maggie, whose love of history shines through in all her projects; Anna, whose food-themed quilts are wonderfully innovative; Russ, the male quilter with a completely original style; Karen, a novice teacher whose gifts for language complement her deep understanding of the quilters' mission; or Gretchen, the soulful veteran whose craft is inspired by quilting tradition?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible