Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine

Kiss of Death

by Rachel Caine

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Ghost Town is the next book in the series, and it's even better!

Another win for Ms. Caine and her vampires! I love this series, I'm only bummed I waited so long to read it.

This whole time we've been reading, thinking that leaving Morganville isn't going to happen for our main four...but it DOES! And, of course, madness ensues. This book was Anything but predictable! We may have assumed that trouble would follow these four as they venture out into the world, but not this much trouble from this many sources. It's just one thing after another for our group and even with an older experience vamp as an escort, things just keep going down hill. This book will definitely keep you on your toes, on the edge of your seat and just wondering what will happen next! There wasn't so much of a cliffhanger this time, so readers can rest assured that if they do not have book 9, they will not be screaming at themselves. But the series is good enough that they WILL want to get their hands on it quickly. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I'm not sure why I didn't love this more...but I felt vaguely aggravated the whole time. It's a fine continuation of the series and an obvious first chapter of a new story arc wherein there is life (and zombie vampires) outside of Morganville. Something just felt off. Maybe I missed Myrnin and Amelie too much. ;) Still looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is my least favorites of this series. What happened to Eve's character ? She acted dumb as a stick, what's up with the food lust ? She almost ruined the story for me. Claire, Shane, Micheal and Oliver take over in this book, while Eve just causes problems. They finally get to leave Morganville, with Oliver to "guide" them and only for 5 days. Off to Dallas they go, except they make a stop where all you know what breaks lose and the gang has to save themselves and the town they fall into. Things get hairy for the gang, new vampires threaten as well as good ole' boys in no-where Texas. Is this the chance for freedom from Morganville ? ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I wanted to read this one because I have been hardcore addicted to this series, and it is so nice that they are all released and I don't have to play the waiting game.

I love the pink laundry, the softer side of Eve even though its hard to see her insecure and not fully understanding where things stand, not only with Michael but with her newly reformed brother. I did enjoy seeing Michael in his element with the rock star deal, but he seemed more distant in this one and I was afraid that I would lose the caring, protective and cuddly Michael to the hardened vampire persona.

One quote I love though that describes the development of Shane's character and how being in love and living out his protective streak is changing him. (from Michael) "Huh. The universe explodes, hell freezes over and Shane does something reasonable." It just so fits their dynamic perfectly...

What started out and what they hoped would be a nice taste of freedom from Morganville and a good time with friends, of course, couldn't be just that with this group of friends. They found trouble in so many ways. Some of it their escort helped them get into and others they did just fine getting into it all own their own.

There were some steamy moments with Shane and Claire to keep me going. And Myrnin was there for part of it, and I love our crazy vamp. Claire mentioned at one point in time that he was both mad and brilliant, and it battled which would exhibit in any given moment.

The ending was perfect but bittersweet. As many of you may have guessed, I will def be continuing this series. And soon.

Bottom Line: The trouble they always seemed to find had me on my toes. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Road trip, baby! This one takes us out of Morganville and into the "real" world, but perhaps the real world is scarier than Morganville. The road trip is innocent enough, until the group are given a chaperone who insists on stopping in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Cue bad luck and horror movie action.

I love the you-can-never-leave-Morganville thing so stepping out of it was new. For about 5 minutes. Then, I began to miss Myrnin's quirkiness, Amelie's smooth self-control, and damn, even Monica's bitchiness. The entire first half of the book was very teen-in-love tongue-in-cheek. Too sickly sweet for me.

The real action doesn't start until well in to the book, perhaps this was to give the characters a rest, a well-earned vacation from the upheaval of the last 7 books. But I love that upheaval, the action and the politics, and as a result this felt like a filler book to me. I didn't truly enjoy it until the last 100 pages and then it ended.

The ring scene was VERY Buffy & Angel but I can overlook this for the significance of the ring to Shane. He's serious about Claire, and that's what matters, but I'm wondering when their happiness is going to be shattered. Is Myrnin going to make a move on Claire? Is Shane going to become too overbearing and protective? Which brings me to Eve and Michael, is it going to last? I have a feeling Michael may break it off in order for Eve to have normal things like children, which he can't provide.

Claire makes progress with her parents; she gets to move back into the Glass House again. Plus, she turns vampire slayer with a crossbow to a stunned Oliver which spawns a hilarious scene ending with Claire promising she won't hurt him!

Shane's changed too. In Michael's own words, "The universe explodes, hell freezes, and Shane does something reasonable." In fact, Shane does quite a few reasonable things. He doesn't move first and pick himself off the floor later any more, he's learned to restrain himself in dangerous situations. I'm impressed.

***Spoiler***

There was one thing I didn't understand: the reason for the diseased rogues. Bishop was clean. He didn't suffer from the vampire virus, which is why his blood helped cure it, so how come he infected the vampires he made?

Overall, there were some great lines but this was probably the weakest of the series so far, though I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation of [b:Ghost Town|7600922|Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)|Rachel Caine|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1268376325s/7600922.jpg|10018961] set back in Morganville for more mysteries and conspiracies. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
The way the Glass House worked, on a practical level, was that there was a schedule for the stuff that had to be done.

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big- time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some gigs-which means Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell...

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big-time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some dates. Which means that Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible