Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine

Kiss of Death

by Rachel Caine

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Ghost Town is the next book in the series, and it's even better!

I wanted to read this one because I have been hardcore addicted to this series, and it is so nice that they are all released and I don't have to play the waiting game.

I love the pink laundry, the softer side of Eve even though its hard to see her insecure and not fully understanding where things stand, not only with Michael but with her newly reformed brother. I did enjoy seeing Michael in his element with the rock star deal, but he seemed more distant in this one and I was afraid that I would lose the caring, protective and cuddly Michael to the hardened vampire persona.

One quote I love though that describes the development of Shane's character and how being in love and living out his protective streak is changing him. (from Michael) "Huh. The universe explodes, hell freezes over and Shane does something reasonable." It just so fits their dynamic perfectly...

What started out and what they hoped would be a nice taste of freedom from Morganville and a good time with friends, of course, couldn't be just that with this group of friends. They found trouble in so many ways. Some of it their escort helped them get into and others they did just fine getting into it all own their own.

There were some steamy moments with Shane and Claire to keep me going. And Myrnin was there for part of it, and I love our crazy vamp. Claire mentioned at one point in time that he was both mad and brilliant, and it battled which would exhibit in any given moment.

The ending was perfect but bittersweet. As many of you may have guessed, I will def be continuing this series. And soon.

Bottom Line: The trouble they always seemed to find had me on my toes. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Road trip, baby! This one takes us out of Morganville and into the "real" world, but perhaps the real world is scarier than Morganville. The road trip is innocent enough, until the group are given a chaperone who insists on stopping in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Cue bad luck and horror movie action.

I love the you-can-never-leave-Morganville thing so stepping out of it was new. For about 5 minutes. Then, I began to miss Myrnin's quirkiness, Amelie's smooth self-control, and damn, even Monica's bitchiness. The entire first half of the book was very teen-in-love tongue-in-cheek. Too sickly sweet for me.

The real action doesn't start until well in to the book, perhaps this was to give the characters a rest, a well-earned vacation from the upheaval of the last 7 books. But I love that upheaval, the action and the politics, and as a result this felt like a filler book to me. I didn't truly enjoy it until the last 100 pages and then it ended.

The ring scene was VERY Buffy & Angel but I can overlook this for the significance of the ring to Shane. He's serious about Claire, and that's what matters, but I'm wondering when their happiness is going to be shattered. Is Myrnin going to make a move on Claire? Is Shane going to become too overbearing and protective? Which brings me to Eve and Michael, is it going to last? I have a feeling Michael may break it off in order for Eve to have normal things like children, which he can't provide.

Claire makes progress with her parents; she gets to move back into the Glass House again. Plus, she turns vampire slayer with a crossbow to a stunned Oliver which spawns a hilarious scene ending with Claire promising she won't hurt him!

Shane's changed too. In Michael's own words, "The universe explodes, hell freezes, and Shane does something reasonable." In fact, Shane does quite a few reasonable things. He doesn't move first and pick himself off the floor later any more, he's learned to restrain himself in dangerous situations. I'm impressed.

***Spoiler***

There was one thing I didn't understand: the reason for the diseased rogues. Bishop was clean. He didn't suffer from the vampire virus, which is why his blood helped cure it, so how come he infected the vampires he made?

Overall, there were some great lines but this was probably the weakest of the series so far, though I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation of [b:Ghost Town|7600922|Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)|Rachel Caine|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1268376325s/7600922.jpg|10018961] set back in Morganville for more mysteries and conspiracies. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Man I love Claire. She is so bad ass ;-) ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
The crew hits the road with a wild trip to Dallas in support of Micheal's music career. This installment was a good blend of adventure, romance and just enough WTF to keep you glued to the pages. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Michael has a made a deal with a recording studio to finally get his music out there. It’s exciting, unique – and involves them leaving Morganville. This is also a useful opportunity for Claire and co since it allows them to avoid a deal Claire made that could get them all eaten.

On the road, they quickly raise the chance of finally escaping Morganville for good. But Oliver has been sent as chaperone and what about the loved ones they left behind? More, it’s clear that Even and Michael, residents of Morganville all their lives, have little idea of the outside world and how to behave in it.

Then there’s the problem of the vampire rebels. With the Morganville security network down, the only thing holding the vampires in Morganville is Amelie’s word. And some are not accepting that. Leaving the town, these wild vampires are looking for a new place to take over, one without the rules and restrictions of Amelie. Their travel makes them cross paths disastrously with Claire & Co – and when they reach their destination, they find things are not what they expected.

I’ve always had mixed feelings about this series. I’ve felt that the world that has been built and some of the background characters have been fascinating and have a lot of potential. Unfortunately the main characters don’t appeal to me and I often find Claire, the protagonist to be an outsider in her own story. In short, I was coming close to giving up on the series, it’s just not for me.

This was my “last chance” book, the last book I’d read before I shelved the Morganville vampires and didn’t open another one.

And I enjoyed it.

By taking the story out of Morganville, we introduced a lot of new contexts and themes. We got to see how the very insular life the Morganville residents had lived. How they were so used to the supernatural dangers of the vampires and how they are used to negotiating the dangers of Morganville, that they were utterly lacking in the social skills necessary to survive in small towns with close minded, dangerous people without vampires lurking around to keep order. It was a really well done twist that added a lot to the world, the characters and the story.

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
The way the Glass House worked, on a practical level, was that there was a schedule for the stuff that had to be done.

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big- time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some gigs-which means Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell...

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big-time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some dates. Which means that Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,163,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible