Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine

Kiss of Death

by Rachel Caine

650None14,745 (4)11
    Ghost Town by Rachel Caine (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Ghost Town is the next book in the series, and it's even better!

The crew hits the road with a wild trip to Dallas in support of Micheal's music career. This installment was a good blend of adventure, romance and just enough WTF to keep you glued to the pages. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Michael has a made a deal with a recording studio to finally get his music out there. It’s exciting, unique – and involves them leaving Morganville. This is also a useful opportunity for Claire and co since it allows them to avoid a deal Claire made that could get them all eaten.

On the road, they quickly raise the chance of finally escaping Morganville for good. But Oliver has been sent as chaperone and what about the loved ones they left behind? More, it’s clear that Even and Michael, residents of Morganville all their lives, have little idea of the outside world and how to behave in it.

Then there’s the problem of the vampire rebels. With the Morganville security network down, the only thing holding the vampires in Morganville is Amelie’s word. And some are not accepting that. Leaving the town, these wild vampires are looking for a new place to take over, one without the rules and restrictions of Amelie. Their travel makes them cross paths disastrously with Claire & Co – and when they reach their destination, they find things are not what they expected.

I’ve always had mixed feelings about this series. I’ve felt that the world that has been built and some of the background characters have been fascinating and have a lot of potential. Unfortunately the main characters don’t appeal to me and I often find Claire, the protagonist to be an outsider in her own story. In short, I was coming close to giving up on the series, it’s just not for me.

This was my “last chance” book, the last book I’d read before I shelved the Morganville vampires and didn’t open another one.

And I enjoyed it.

By taking the story out of Morganville, we introduced a lot of new contexts and themes. We got to see how the very insular life the Morganville residents had lived. How they were so used to the supernatural dangers of the vampires and how they are used to negotiating the dangers of Morganville, that they were utterly lacking in the social skills necessary to survive in small towns with close minded, dangerous people without vampires lurking around to keep order. It was a really well done twist that added a lot to the world, the characters and the story.

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Kiss of Death is a lot like other books in the Morganville Vampires series. It was interesting and had the potential to be awesome, but somehow fell short. That seems to the be the norm in this series. The book was a little different in that the four residents of the Glass House (plus Oliver) leave Morganville to go to Dallas. Of course, vampire-related chaos and drama ensues. Unfortunately, the chaos isn't really all that interesting, as usual. I always seem to enjoy the chapters leading up to the chaos, but find the actual action in the books to be boring.

It is nice to see Claire coming out of her shell more with each book. I like that the heroine of the series can be geeky and kickass. That is rather empowering.

The interactions among the characters are always entertaining. (They're the best part of the whole series.) I especially love the snarky sibling-like relationship between Shane and Eve. It can always provide a laugh or two. It's also cool to see the romances between the characters developing.

I would say that I hope weaker parts of the stories improve, but I figure that this far into the series, that seems unlikely. I guess I might grow accustomed to it soon. Either that or I'll just continue to feel a bit disappointed in the series. ( )
  janersm | Jul 30, 2013 |
Excellent! I really love this series. Claire is the best girl-hero ever! She's tough, and she's got mad skills, and she's smart. Of course, she also has the hottest boy-friend :D ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Never ending action in this one. I think it resolves in an interesting way a lingering plot point from earlier books, and gives an intriguing new spin on the relationships between all the characters (and not just the young ones living in Glass House). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
The way the Glass House worked, on a practical level, was that there was a schedule for the stuff that had to be done.

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big- time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some gigs-which means Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell...

Vampire musician Michael Glass has attracted the attention of a big-time producer who wants to cut a demo and play some dates. Which means that Michael will have to enter the human world. For this, he's been assigned escorts that include both a dangerous immortal as well as Michael's all-too-human friends. And with that mix of personalities, this is going to be a road trip from hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible