Tombstone Courage by J. A. Jance

Tombstone Courage (1994)

by J. A. Jance

Continuing through the series to see if I am going to keep books or give up. Here we have book two of the Joanna Brady series. This one picks up a few months after the original. There's been a definable shift to the characters due to events in the first book, which is good. Hints are given that multiple plots abound in this book. I could even speculate that an overarching plot exists from the first book. It isn't obvious yet.

I'm glad Joanna at least acknowledges she's naive and out of her depth when it comes to being sheriff. I'd hate to have the character go in too cocky.

Maybe I'm just good at figuring these books out. Again, I knew the culprit the moment they appeared on page. The author keeps pointing to some very obvious non-culprits to try to throw you off. So not working for me. I have my suspicions. And I came really close. Harold's wife killed Burton's father for diddling Holly, Harold's daughter. Now, Amy the therapist tricks Holly into killing Harold to keep him quiet because he was going to reveal everything, and it would ruin her scam to get the money and land. I'm really hoping this plotting difficulty is because I'm just really good at guessing.

I'm thinking I'll just ahead in the series. If I suffer the same issues, I'll call it quits for this series. ( )
  gilroy | Jul 19, 2017 |
Fairly standard and undemanding plotting. ( )
  edwardsgt | Nov 12, 2016 |
Joanna Brady mystery — pretty good — wins election as sheriff — solves odd mystery

The author of Without Due Process--the winner of the 1993 American Mystery Award--delivers another mystery for her popular new series. Now in Arizona, the young widow Joanna Brady is a real working mom. She's running for sheriff, facing a hostile police department, and becoming enmeshed in the investigation of a peculiar double homicide.
  christinejoseph | Aug 25, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Joanna Brady series by J. A. Jance. Joanna is the newly elected sheriff of Bisbee, Arizona, following in the footsteps of her father and filling the job her husband was running for when he was killed in Book 1 (Desert Heat). She starts the job immediately upon being elected and before she can even be sworn in, a murder occurs. Harold Patterson, an elderly rancher, is extremely upset when his estranged middle-aged daughter Holly arrives back in town accompanied by a hypnotherapist and a lawyer claiming she was abused by Harold when she was a child. She is ready to sue in a personal injury trial for half the ranch. Ivy, Holly's younger sister, stayed on the ranch and kept it running, took care of her ailing mother for years, and now feels she is being forced out of her home. She is bitter and angry. Harold does have a long hidden secret and decides to compensate Holly for all her pain. Ivy feels betrayed. Before the plan can be revealed, he is murdered. When the body is discovered in a mine hole, a second much older skeleton is discovered beneath him. Now Joanna must solve two murders on the day she's elected.

I didn't find this as interesting as the first book in the series but it may be because it's a transitional book that leads to Joanna solving more complex mysteries in the future. I always enjoy the fact that J. A. Jance does such impeccable research about the southern Arizona towns of Bisbee and Tombstone. This was an enjoyable book and I look forward to continuing the series.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
A disappointment. Who cares what the new female sheriff is wearing, or whether she has a run in her pantyhose? ( )
  pamelad | Aug 4, 2015 |
Per WorldCat, ISBN 157815023X is for both Tombstone Courage by J. A. Jance AND for The Sculptress (abridged audiobook) by Minette Walters, so don't base combination decisions on this ISBN - go by the title and author.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380765462, Mass Market Paperback)

The desert is a good place to bury a body. And under the sun-parched Arizona landscape some chilling secrets are about to unfold as newly elected Sheriff Joanna Brady investigates a most peculiar double homicide. A body, barely cold, is lying in an abandoned mine shaft. Next to it are the decayed remains of a man everyone in Cochise County has long forgotten - a murder victim who died long before Joanna Brady was born. And the only thing that hasn't evaporated in the Arizona sun are whispered and life-shattering rumors of appalling childhood abuse. As the desert gives up its grisly secrets, Joanna Brady battles to redeem the savaged reputation of one of her personal heroes. Her day-to-day struggle lends new meaning to the term working mother. The incoming sheriff faces an intensely hostile male-dominated police department. She fends off the attentions of her well-meaning mother even as she strives to handle her own difficult and suddenly temperamental daughter. Despite a placid, small-town surface, greed and manipulation are working overtime among Cochise County's movers and shakers. And Joanna earns her newly won badge when she uncovers a suspected killer who has lurked there undetected for two generations. Along with the dismayed, tongue-wagging citizens of Bisbee, Arizona, the reader is seduced into the web of passions and secrets Jance so ably weaves. Fast-paced and shocking, Tombstone Courage is a multilayered mystery that delves into the heart of the New West with a foundation firmly grounded in its storied, gunslinging past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:31 -0400)

With dogged determination Joanna Brady challenged the status quo - and won. Now, as newly elected Sheriff of Cochise Country, Arizona, she must battle the prejudice and hostility of a male-dominated police force - and solve a grisly double homicide that threatens to tear the community to pieces.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,752,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible