An Unfinished Score by Elise Blackwell

An Unfinished Score

by Elise Blackwell

As she prepares dinner for her husband and their extended family, Suzanne hears on the radio that a jetliner has crashed and her lover is dead. Alex Elling was a renowned orchestra conductor. Suzanne is a concert violist, long unsatisfied with her marriage to a composer whose music turns emotion into thought. Now, more alone than she's ever been, she must grieve secretly. But as complex as that effort is, it pales with the arrival of Alex's widow, who blackmails her into completing the score for Alex's unfinished viola concerto. As Suzanne struggles to keep her double life a secret from her husband, from her best friend, and from the other members of her quartet, she is consumed by memories of a rich love affair saturated with music. Increasingly manipulated by her lover's widow and tormented by the concerto's many layers, Suzanne realizes she may lose everything she's spent her life working for.… (more)

I wanted to love this one and if I could I'd give it a 3.5. I just felt like there was too much going on, particularly in the first half of the book for me to attach to any of the characters. The writing is wonderful and the second half really picks up. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Suzanne, a concert violist, is making dinner for her family (her husband Ben who is a composer, her best friend Petra who is a violinist in Suzanne's quartet and Petra's daughter Adele ) when she hears the news on the radio that her lover, Alex Elling, a famed conductor has died in a plane crash. To make matters worse for Suzanne, through her grief, she must keep the fact that Alex was her lover from her husband and her best friend although she is having trouble keeping herself together . On top of this Alex's bitter and angry widow Olivia is now blackmailing her into finishing Alex's unfinished Viola Concerto ostensibly written for her.

I was interested in reading this book because I play the Viola and once studied music with the hopes of on day becoming a professional musician, so I very much identified with the characters of Suzanne and Petra. The book is well researched from the musical history angle with the only complaint being that sometimes the author may bring up her musical knowledge a little bit more than is necessary.

The writing is lush and beautiful and the characters are fully realized and believable. The secondary story line with Petra's daughter Adele who is profoundly deaf since birth and cannot hear either Petra's or Suzanne's playing is sensitively realized. The story ends with some surprises which definitely will catch the reader off guard. Very much recommended. ( )
  mmhorman | Jul 9, 2010 |
Excellent book. Nice twists and turns. Enjoyed the characters and loved the musical aspects of the book. Read it.
  shazjhb | Jun 27, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Early Reviewers copy of An Unfinished Score by Elise Blackwell. I was not sure that I would like it, however I really did. I highly recommend it, it was great!
  IWantToBelieve | Jun 13, 2010 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elise Blackwell's book An Unfinished Score was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,517,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible