The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver

The Burning Wire (2010)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (9)

Quadriplegic forensic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme leads his team--NYPD detective Amelia Sachs, officer Ron Pulaski, and FBI agent Fred Dellray--to find and stop a killer who uses electricity as modus operandi. Meanwhile, Rhyme is consulting on another high-profile investigation in Mexico with a most coveted quarry in his crosshairs: the hired killer known as the Watchmaker, one of the few criminals to have eluded Rhyme's net.… (more)

English (46)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
I liked this book, but didn't love it. Jeffrey Deaver often has surprise twists in his book that usually leave me reeling, but this time, the twist didn't really seem that shocking. Now, I didn't guess the twist, so it was a surprise, it just didn't wow me. I feel like too much effort was made to mislead the reader, and it began to get a little bit obvious.

I did think the topic was interesting. I learned more about electricity and how it is made. It made me think about how much electricity is running through our every day lives. It is pretty scary if you think about it.

I think fans of the series will like this book. It was a solid entry in the Lincoln Rhyme series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Liked it... glad they're reintroduced the Watchmaker. The whole switcheroo with the electricity was too forced to be "believable" ... even for me, even for fiction.
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I tend to like Deaver's work, but this one was a little too technical and there just wasn't quite enough of a story - many pages devoted to the science of it all - I really prefer the thriller of it all. There were some good classic Deaver plot twists and the always present "just in time" saves, but this was not one of my favorites. I gave it three stars for effort, but would not recommend. ( )
  sbenne3 | Dec 31, 2017 |
Once again I was gifted with a book that is part of a series. This time it is the series about Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic crime scene investigator who is also a quadriplegic confined to a wheelchair. He has free movement of his head and part of his right hand at this point in the series.

An unknown perpetrator who has expertise with live electrical equipment has created a giant arc flash using high voltage lines that has killed one person. The New York forensic team led by Lincoln Rhyme is brought in to help catch the mad man.

A second story arc involves a character named The Watchmaker who it seems was already developed in a previous Rhyme novel. In this part of the story, Rhyme is acting as an advisor to police in Mexico City who believe the Watchmaker is working in tandem with corrupt politicians and police as well as drug cartels.

As the book progresses, the perpetrator continues with an increasingly more gruesome series of murders that have the team running all over New York trying to catch him. A corporate utility company believes they are targets because they are trying to create a monopoly on the grid.

Alternative energy inventors and groups believe they may be the target because they are trying to create energy sources that offer lower prices or potentially free energy. The city is in the grip of fear….

This was a pretty action packed novel and kept moving. It is an action packed vacation read or when readers need a break from reading more literary novels. A good potboiler with current eco interests. ( )
  ozzie65 | Oct 11, 2017 |
Lincoln Rhymes is a quadriplegic criminalist who lives in his mind once again matching wits with his nemesis, The Watchmaker. There is also a perpetrator attempting to bring an electrical company to its knees using electricity and arc flashes as his weapon of choice (particularly frightening when one considers that he attacks at random and his weapon (electricity) is in every home, office and commercial building). Added to the mix are some fairly interesting secondary characters like FBI agent Fred Dellray and inventor Charlie Sommers. Unfortunately, the story is cluttered with a plethora of peripheral information that inhibits its flow. Subjects like the electrical system in New York City, the use of regional grids, the symptoms and treatment of autonomic dysreflexia associated with spinal cord injuries, the pros and cons of "green energy", not to mention the repeated and never-ending practice of "walking the grid" and reviewing of evidence. Granted, little background information is always helpful, but Mr. Deaver has taken it to the extreme. After reading this book I could probably re-wire my house plus give a half way decent presentation on the care of spinal cord injury patients and the various treatments available to them.

Please Mr. Deaver in the future please give us more story and less instructional "filler". 3 stars because it had a promising storyline. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baiocchi, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tagliavini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something."
--Thomas Alva Edison, on creating
the first electric grid
For editor extraordinaire, Marysue Rucci
Sitting in the control center of Algonquin Consolidated Power and Light's sprawling complex on the East River in Queens, New York, the morning supervisor frowned at the pulsing red words on his computer screen.

Lincoln Rhyme is back, on the trail of a killer whose weapon of choice cripples New York City with fear.

The weapon is invisible and omnipresent. Without it, modern society grinds to a halt. It is the electrical grid. The killer harnesses and steers huge arc flashes with voltage so high, and heat so searing, that steel melts and his victims are set afire, or subtly reconnects a few wires in one's house or office so that the bathtub, the sink, the computer keyboard, the simple desk lamp can kill.

When the first horrific attack occurs in broad daylight, reducing a city bus to a pile of molten, shrapnel-riddled metal, officials fear terrorism. Rhyme, a world-class forensic criminologist known for his successful apprehension of the most devious criminals, is immediately tapped for the investigation. Long a quadriplegic, he assembles NYPD detective Amelia Sachs and officer Ron Pulaski as his eyes and ears and legs on crime sites, and FBI agent Fred Dellray as his undercover man on the street. As the attacks continue across the city at a sickening pace, and terrifying demand letters begin appearing, the team works desperately against time and with maddeningly little forensic evidence to try to find the killer. Or is it killers....?

Meanwhile, Rhyme is consulting on another high-profile investigation in Mexico with a most coveted quarry in his cross-hairs: the hired killer known as the Watchmaker, one of the few criminals to have eluded Rhyme's net.

Juggling two massive investigations against a cruel ticking clock takes a toll on Rhyme's health. Soon Rhyme is fighting on yet another front -- and his determination to work despite his physical limitations threatens to drive away his closest allies when he needs them most.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,999,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible