The Heart and the Bottle (2009)

by Oliver Jeffers

After safeguarding her heart in a bottle hung around her neck, a girl finds the bottle growing heavier and her interest in things around her becoming smaller.

Commuoversi con un libro per bambini?
Fatto. ( )
  silvia.amaturo | Mar 21, 2020 |
A young girl has an endless curiosity about the world, and is introduced to even further wonders than she can observe with her own eyes by a man - perhaps her father - who is shown reading books to her. But then the man disappears. This book is written with little text and so the exact details are vague, however, I took it that the man died. The girl puts her heart into a bottle, and much later in her life, attempts to free her heart from that same bottle. Through powerful metaphor, the human ability to compartmentalize the painful experiences of death, separation, and loss are shown in a way that young readers can see and understand. Written almost like a fairytale. Cool collages that include scientific illustrations. ( )
  lydsmith | Feb 20, 2020 |
A little girls develops a deep curiosity due to the stories her grandfather reads to her, but after he is gone, she hides her heart and her love for discovering new things in a bottle. She grows older and only the curiosity of another little child can help her break the bottle and begin dreaming again. This book would be great for teaching about grief and death and healing. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jul 30, 2019 |
Although it took a couple of read-throughs to truly grasp the message of this story, I found myself loving it the more I understood what the character was going through. This book perfectly illustrates the raw realities of dealing with death and grief at a young age. It is something that not all children will go through but some may need some clarity and support reasoning with. A little girl with many wonders and curiosities about the world, explores with her dad and draws pictures for him. One day he isn't there to look at pictures and she doesn't know how to handle the pain in her heart. She decided to take her heart out of her body and put it in a bottle to wear as a necklace but she soon realized that she no longer had any interests in the world without it. She tries to get it out of the bottle but it won't break. She finally finds a little girl with the wonders and curiosities she used to have about the world and she is able to break the bottle open for her. With her heart back in place, she can finally wonder about life again. I think the overall message here is that sometimes we need other people in our life to teach us and remind us how to love and live again. I would recommend this book to anyone because it is so genuine and realistic and delivers a meaningful message in an incredibly graceful way.
  sminto2 | Mar 11, 2019 |
This ground breaking book is about a girl that had a happy life until she lost her father. It says that when she experienced hurt and loss she decided to put her heart inside a jar so it wouldn't get hurt. She goes through life and is very sad throughout it until one day she takes her heart out of the jar and even though she is vulnerable she feels better. This book is amazing for anyone of any age that has or is going through the loss of a loved one, it shows that the situation hurts and you may want to put your heart in a safe place but in the end to feel better you need to open up. This book hits the topic in a safe way that reading it to a child would help them heal. ( )
  ValRodriguez | Feb 26, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,885,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible