Black Is the Color of My True Love's Heart (1967)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Felse Investigations (6)

Singers and musicians are gathered for a course in folk music that will occupy a weekend in the fantastic country mansion called Follymead. Most come only to sing or to listen, but one or two have non-musical scores to settle. When brilliantly talented Liri Palmer sings " Black, black, black is the color of my true-love's heart!" she clearly has a message for someone in the audience. Passions run high, and there is murder brewing at Follymead.… (more)

A murder at a weekend folk music course in a classic English country house style of mystery. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 11, 2018 |
I always enjoy Ellis Peters and this one is typical of the genre--an old fashioned whodunit. ( )
  turtlesleap | May 21, 2016 |
Being s folk music fan, I love the setting of this one, which is a folk music festival involving an encounter between a beautiful young women singer and an equally glamorous young male singer who engage in a kind of public musical lover's quarrel (in which she sings the song that gives its title to the story, wickedly clever filk) later there is a murder and Felse is involved. The lover's quarrel has a ner solution (which I recently realized echoes that of Iolanthe) but the solution to the mystery is much grimmer and the one aspect of the story I dislike. Otherwise I would give this 5 stars. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 28, 2015 |
A good but not great offering by Peters, but definitely worth reading. Very different from Brother Cadfeal, obviously in history and scope, but still good work from this author. ( )
  charlie68 | Sep 20, 2010 |
Interesting. An odd lot of characters. I remembered the secret, and that there was an odd twist to the crime, but not what actually happened. Nor did I really remember the characters - Dominic & George Felse, of course, Tossa (her first appearance, I think), Felicity, Liri and Lucien, the Arundels... There's a long list of characters that play major parts in the story. And some that ought to be major who barely appear despite carrying out their parts. I enjoy the folk music - I'm always singing some of the songs referenced in the book for weeks after reading it. Like Joyful Woman, the internal landscape of some of the characters - Felicity in particular though not exclusively - plays a major part in the story. The acts undertaken and the motivations for the acts are very complexly based. The actual events are quite simple and rather stupid (as in, it was all a misunderstanding!), but the physical and emotional settings make it an interesting and very complex story. Also fun to read - well, it is a Peters, that pretty well goes without saying. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 2, 2009 |

Ellis Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Mädchen mit dem Gitarrenkasten stand allein an der Bushaltestelle, als Arundale seinen Wagen vor dem Bahnhof anhielt und hineinging, um die Schallplatten abzuholen, die Professor Penrose dort vergessen hatte.
The girl with the guitar-case was standing alone at the Belwardine bus-stop when Arundale parked the car before the station entrance, and went into collect the records Professor Penrose had left behind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,426,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible