Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, No. 6) (1995)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (06), Das magische Baumhaus (06)

Eight-year-old Jack, his seven-year-old sister, Annie, and Peanut the mouse ride in a tree house to the Amazon rain forests, where they encounter giant ants, flesh-eating piranhas, hungry crocodiles, and wild jaguars.
    Scooby-Doo! and You: The Case of the Theater Phantom by Vicki Erwin (Morteana)
    Morteana: Children who love magic and mystery are likely to love Scooby and the gang just as much as Jack and Annie. Any book in the series will do.

English (57)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
I like the mouse named Peanut and Annie! They are such cute friends. ( )
  BooksAreMadeOfMagic | Sep 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This is a great book for 4th/5th/6th graders who are getting into chapter books. In this book particularly, the two kids are taken through the magic tree house to the Amazon. They face lots of struggles, but eventually make it home. I think all of the magic tree house books are great for boys and girls at that age. They have lots of adventure and themes of friendship in each book. It will also teach kids that every book is a different adventure, and reading can make you feel like you are in the story. I feel this way especially with Osborne's frequent use of conversation between the characters. This back and forth text makes you feel like you are there, listening to their conversations and experiencing each attack from different exotic animals. It also includes a prologue of the series for anyone who hasn't read the previous books but is interested in reading this one. Even though it was a chapter book, there were illustrations scattered throughout which I always loved because I'm a visual person, and I like looking at the pictures to help me follow along with the text. Overall a really fun series for kids. ( )
  anicho14 | Mar 2, 2020 |
THis book is excellent fatasy book for us and younger children. It is fun, and we can find a lot of informnations from this book.

Setting: This is an appropriate setting for the story because Annie and Jack explore the Amazon rain forest before returning to their home in Pennsylvania.
added by wnghksduq | editAFTERNOON on the AMAZON, JOHN g8 (Nov 15, 2009)

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henze, AndreasCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knipping, JuttaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rahn, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pipers Pope Boyce
Prologue:
One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Chapter One:
"Hurry, Jack!" shouted Annie.
Afternoon on the Amazon is the US title
Adventure on the Amazon is the UK title

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,959,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible