Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo

Bink & Gollie

by Kate DiCamillo, Alison McGhee

Other authors: Tony Fucile (Illustrator)

Series: Bink and Gollie (1)

Bink and Gollie are best friends. this book has three stories. First story is about learning how to compromise in their friendship. Second story is about sharing accomplishments, and being understandable with each other. Third story is about how jealousy could occur in friendship and how to react positively. ( )
  lg503 | May 31, 2018 |
It is a good book for young students. A early chapters book. It takes about two girls' adventures in the town that they live. It can be the good example for students to learn how to get along with their friends. The story can happens in the real life, which makes it become a realistic fantasy. It can be used in reading class and social study class. ( )
  ShiYaoyu | Apr 11, 2018 |
Bink and Gollie is a chapter book about two little girls. In this book the two girls experience three great adventures together. No matter where the adventures take the girls, they still manage to stay Best Friends. This book is wonderful for young children to see the relationship between to friends and what they go through during the day. ( )
  emmmyjane | Oct 1, 2017 |
Summary: This is a short chapter book about two friends named Bink and Gollie. In the stories they learn how to compromise and how to have compassion. They use their imaginations and they have a lot of fun roller skating together. Pink and Gollie are as different as night and day, but they are still the best of friends.

Personal reflection: I thought that this was a great story about friendship. I liked that some of the pages had no words on them. I feel like this gives the reader time to pause and reflect on the stories in the book. I like reading books like this to children because it gives us an opportunity to discuss the book while we are reading it.

Extension ideas:
1. As a teacher, I would talk with the children about what it means to compromise. Then we would come up with scenarios in which they might have to compromise, such as sharing their toys with their friends.
2. For an activity, I would have the children draw the Andes Mountains, then we would discuss features about mountains and what it would take to climb such a mountain.
3. I would also bring goldfish crackers for the children to eat as a snack that day.
  Shellystanley | Jul 16, 2017 |
Summary:
Gollie and Bink go on some grand adventures. One involving a new pair of very bright socks for Bink and Gollie's distaste for them. Another is Gollie's journey to the top of the Andes Mountains in her bedroom, while Bink continues to knock on her door and interrupt. Lastly a story of Bink getting an ordinary fish that in Bink's eyes is the best fish of all, when the fish's bowl breaks Gollie comes to the rescue and puts the fish in a near by pond, months later they ice skate on the frozen pond with the fish frozen just underneath the surface.

Comments: This story is very sweet and shares themes of compromise, friendship and a love for the world surrounding them. I think this a great book to share for its themes alone, but also the artwork is very fun and almost like a comic. ( )
  JuliaTrinchero | Mar 17, 2017 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGhee, Alisonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fucile, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Winner of the 2011 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award!

In a brilliant collaboration, best-selling authors Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee, along with acclaimed illustrator Tony Fucile, introduce an outrageously funny pair of friends.

Meet Bink and Gollie, two precocious little girls — one tiny, one tall, and both utterly irrepressible. Setting out from their super-deluxe tree house and powered by plenty of peanut butter (for Bink) and pancakes (for Gollie), they share three comical adventures involving painfully bright socks, an impromptu trek to the Andes, and a most unlikely marvelous companion. No matter where their roller skates take them, at the end of the day they will always be the very best of friends. Full of quick-witted repartee, this brainchild of Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo and award-winning author Alison McGhee is a hilarious ode to exuberance and camaraderie, imagination and adventure, brought to life through the delightfully kinetic images of Tony Fucile.

Two roller-skating best friends--one tiny, one tall--share three comical adventures involving outrageously bright socks, an impromptu trek to the Andes, and a most unlikely marvelous companion.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,016,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible