Fables (1980)

by Arnold Lobel

Twenty original fables about an array of animal characters from crocodile to ostrich.

This was a great read-aloud for my third grade class. The illustrations are cute and funny. Students were asked to predict Lobel's moral of each fable, then we discussed, as a class, whether we agreed or disagreed with them. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Apr 11, 2024 |
Each fable features animal characters, a single illustration, and a snappy little moral. A bit word-heavy for a picture book, but it might be fun to read the story and have the kids guess what the moral is. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
A pig flying through marshmallow clouds? A camel pirouetting through the desert? Where else could a reader find such marvelous things but in a fable? From the author-illustrator behind beloved Frog and Toad, Arnold Lobel, comes a collection of humorous, silly fables that will delight readers young and old.
  PlumfieldCH | Sep 21, 2023 |
This Caldecott medalist authored and illustrated by Arnold Lobel is a winner in my book! That he created 20 of his very own short, clever one page fables opposite full page illustrations is rather noble. Each fable exhibits seemingly posh and proper animals expressing their ridiculously obstinate, mischievous yet sometimes fortuitous ways. All of Lobel’s fables end with not quite a moral, but a lesson of sorts. His illustrations differ from the muted colors he used in the Frog and Toad series. Here he uses grafite, ink and watercolor to produce full color, amusing and intricate illustrations to draw us in. ( )
  BainbridgeMom | Jul 13, 2022 |
This is a cute series of stories that each have their own theme and messages. The simple themes of the book are all advice about life and human nature. Each story is a page long with an Explicit theme written at the end from the author. This book would be best for fourth through fifth graders. ( )
  MicahVonBehren | Mar 3, 2022 |
A crocodile became increasingly fond of the wallpaper in his bedroom.
I have made my decision...I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,310,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible