If Looks Could Kill

by Kate White

Series: Bailey Weggins Mysteries (1)

Meet Bailey Weggins, the thirty-something, single-again true crime writer for a leading Manhattan woman's magazine. Smart and savvy, she's got a sixth sense when it comes to seeing the truth in a story-especially if it's murder. Bailey's in bed with her commitment-challenged lover K.C. when she gets a frantic call from her high-maintenance boss at Gloss magazine. Grabbing coffee and a cab outside her Greenwich Village apartment-the consolation prize in her divorce settlement-Bailey reluctantly heads uptown. At Cat Jones's Upper East Side town house, she finds something that seriously clashes with the chic décor: the dead body of the family's line-in nanny. As Bailey-unofficially-delves into the murdered girl's past, she finds no shortage of A-list suspects. But when a startling discovery suggests that Cat may have been the intended victim, Bailey is suddenly up to her bed head in high-profile investigation that's perfect fodder for a tabloid headline: Is someone trying to kill the editor's of women's magazines? With the spotlight on New York's glitzy media world, Bailey interviews back-stabbing editors, straying husbands, and one sexy, six-feet two psychologist who could make her decide to kick K.C. to the curb. Sporting her pair of red slingbacks and armed with the investigative skills she's honed as a true crime reporter, she sets out on a search that takes her from Manhattan's exclusive Carnegie-Hill area-the nanny heartland of America-to the ritzy weekend estates of Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Bailey will need all her street smarts and some lightning-fast detective work to catch a killer who could end up deleting her name from the masthead for good.… (more)

3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
A fun, breezy mystery narrated in first person by Bailey Weggins, crime and human interest freelancer for Gloss magazine in New York City. Bailey's friend and Gloss editor, Cat Jones discovers her nanny dead in her home and asks Bailey to investigate as she likes to hedge her bets and thinks Bailey might find some things the police overlook. Bailey's investigation takes her in several different directions, which gets kinda tedious after a point, particularly as most of them don't pan out, but her hip, slang-y voice keeps it from becoming too tiresome. Still, it took me several days longer to read these 416 pages than the 512 page Erica Spindler novel I read directly previous. There wasn't much suspense, just a lot of wandering around Manhattan and the surrounding countryside interviewing suspects. Although I had an inkling who the killer might be, I was still kept guessing and almost misdirected.
My biggest complaint is that unfortunately, there is a rather large spoiler in the cover art. Otherwise, it was a decent enough read. I'm not going to run out and purchase the rest of this series, but I will keep an eye out for them at garage sales and used book stores. ( )
  EmScape | Dec 22, 2012 |
The story starts off with free-lance journalist Bailey Weggins being called by her boss to investigate her nanny not answering a call, when they find a dead body. Even though she's a writer and not a cop, Bailey is given the task of investigating this murder. Bailey's character to me was much more style than substance. She's too cool, too sassy, and not much like a real person. Her relationships in this story fell flat and did not remotely interest me. It seemed as if they were there just so she could have love interests, but like her character had little substance to it.

The murder investigation had some good twists and turns to it, but in the end became a little predictable. At times it felt the misdirection was forced, but at least the logical progression of the story made sense. The story moved at a good pace. There was enough going on to keep it interesting, but there wasn't enough to really sink your teeth into.
Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity ( )
1 vote Carl_Alves | Oct 3, 2012 |
This is the authors first fiction novel and the first in a projected Bailey Weggins series. I gotta admit that this is a book I would likely have never picked up on my own. I mostly read sci fi and fantasy and can occassionally be talked into reading an Oprah book of the month or some such novel. I read this book because it was part of the book club I am in. I liked it. It was an easy read, semi-funny, very entertaining and reasonably surprising as to the who-done-it. You could tell it was the authors first novel and that she is editor-in-chief for Cosmo magazine. She talks too much about desinger clothes, shoes-toe cleavage?-, food and restaurants for my taste and her characters are all extremely shallow-as I highly suspect the author is as well-but it was a good first try. ( )
  laileana | Feb 2, 2010 |
I don’t know how I keep getting sucked into these glamour magazine type novels, but here is another one. The writing was pretty good but the plot was a bit transparent. There was plenty of false suspects (including a strangely hostile husband), but in the end, it turned out to be a scorned wife. Not Cat, but someone else at the magazine, Leslie. Her husband was having an affair with the nanny and it became serious. Leslie didn’t think so and killed her, later staging the “attempted” killing of another magazine editor. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jun 13, 2009 |

Kate Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biekmann, Lidwiensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soudant,Shasti O'LearyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Splinter, HelmutAutorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Hunter and Haley. Thank you for all your wonderful support and encouragement.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 044661257X, 0446617695

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible