Ruling Passion by Reginald Hill

Ruling Passion (1973)

by Reginald Hill

5201027,875 (3.64)27

Detective Sergeant Peter Pascoe and his girlfriend Ellie are heading to a small village to visit friends, but when they arrive they find three of their friends dead and the fourth missing, presumed guilty of the crime by the local police. Pascoe has to serve as a witness rather than being involved in the investigation, but of course it is impossible for him not to go looking for answers, no matter the price….I don’t know how I managed to miss this, the third book in the Dalziel and Pascoe series, given that I’ve been reading them in order for about the last 2 years and have had this book on my shelf for ages. It’s a bit strange going so far back in the series, particularly as the last Dalziel and Pascoe book that I read was the next-to-last in the series as a whole; while Pascoe seems pretty fully characterized here (and Dalziel too, though in a much smaller role), Ellie doesn’t seem nearly as fierce as we know she is! Still, a good read as ever; recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jan 4, 2018 |
This story describes the development of the relationship between Dalziel and Pascoe as well as with Pascoe and Ellie. The crime had a personal element for Pascoe and he struggled to remain professional. But although it begins well, the story became somewhat muddled and lost impetus. Not Hill’s best work. ( )
  VivienneR | Jan 23, 2017 |
This was OK but it had too many characters who weren't differentiated enough. I lost track of who was who and who had done what. ( )
  infjsarah | Jul 16, 2016 |
Loved the writing style - smart, funny and visual. This is the first of the series that I've read (#3 in the series) and will definitely read more from this author. FInally good writing, great character development and the perfect English countryside landscape. Terrific book ( )
1 vote anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Just okay, really. It started well, but then slowed down and grew muddled. Keeping the two main detectives separated didn't really help, either. Having read some later books in the series, I know better is coming. ( )
  Laura400 | May 18, 2014 |
Search then the ruling passion: there, alone, The wild are constant, and the cunning known; The fool consistent, and the false sincere; Priests, princes, women, no dissemblers here. This due once found unravels the rest... --Alexander Pope
For Pat again--with love and thanks
Well, hello, Peter Pascoe!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440168899, Mass Market Paperback)

From Yorkshire to the sleepy village of Thornton Lacey is only a morning's drive, but for Detective Sergeant Peter Pascoe, the distance will close off part of his life forever. Motoring down for a reunion with old friends, he arrives to find not a welcome but a grisly triple murder. Out of his jurisdiction, Pascoe is in an untenable position: one of his oldest friends is wanted for murder, his boss is ordering him back to Yorkshire, and his instincts are telling him that the local constabulary will never suspect that the crime's true motive lies not in the obvious places, but in the unexplored zones of passion within a twisted heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

From Yorkshire to Thornton Lacey is only a morning's drive, but for Peter Pascoe it's a journey into the past., a chance to kick back with his closest friends from college. On arrival, though, he finds not a warm welcome but a grisly triple-murder, with one of his oldest mates on tap as the chief suspect.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,939,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible