The Capture by Kathryn Lasky
1,495None4,939 (3.75)25
Recently added byCreamHouseLibary, private library, aspen42, m32446, Monti700, Pebblesgmc, Alloria, 826NYC, fumcod, TheSpawn

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
I read this with my daughter for her 3rd grade book club, and found it to be a little dark and confusing for the recommended age. The dialogue was choppy and the terminology, while unique, was at time hard to follow despite it's repetition. I imagine the series will improve, as this is clearly the beginning of an epic tale, but I'm not sure we will be reading more. ( )
  klarsenmd | Jan 21, 2014 |
I like YA fantasy, but these books were pretty dumb. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
This is an audiobook that I would give 3 stars for the story, but 2 stars for the audio narration. The plot behind this story is fine. Soren, a young barn owl, is pushed out of the nest by a scheming brother and kidnapped. He is taken to the St. Aegolius Academy, where baby owls are brainwashed and used as slave labor by an evil organization that seeks to take over the owl kingdoms. The story is fast paced and creative, but I found the audio narration annoying. Most of the characters in this story are young owls, but the forced high pitch voices seemed - well, forced and high pitched. Great story, but one that I might need to read in print. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
This started out a little questionable. The writing was more like a read aloud for the youngest readers or preschoolers, which would be fine but not what I was expecting or hoping for in this case. That quickly changed though as soon as the author got into the story and it became a very fun, exciting adventure. Good characters and story and a very cool ending that set up the next book and had me all smiles and excitement. Maybe not four stars but in the range to round up. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
The kids and I enjoyed reading this book together. ( )
  TnTexas | Apr 1, 2013 |
Noctus, can you spare a bit more down, darling?

AR 4.8; 7 Pts

GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE is a classic hero mythology about the fight between good and evil. This series is filled with adventure, suspense, and heart.

In the first book in the GUARDIANS... series, the reader is introduced to Soren, a barn owl and the centerpiece of the series. When Soren is pushed from his family's nest by his older brother, he is rescued from certain death on the forest floor by agents from a mysterious school for orphaned owls, St. Aggie's. When Soren arrives at St. Aggie's, he suspects there is more to the school than meets the eye. He and his new friend, the clever and scrappy Gylfie, find out that St. Aggie's is actually a training camp where the school's leader can groom young owls to help achieve her goal--(cont.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:36 -0400)

When Soren, a barn owl, arrives at St. Aggie's, a school for orphaned owls, he suspects trouble and with his new friend, a clever elf owl named Gylfie, embarks on a perilous journey to save all owls from the danger at St. Aggie's.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,498,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible