The Capture by Kathryn Lasky

The Capture (2003)

by Kathryn Lasky

English (45)  German (1)  All languages (46)
Great series. Interesting first book. Didn't like what they did to it for the movie, but that's typical. Love Digger.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |
I came into this expecting something in the same vein of Watership Down or Erin Hunter's Warriors series. I was sadly mistaken. This is closer to Redwall, minus the awesome characters, action, adventure, or interest. I normally adore Kathryn Lasky, but the first half was ridiculously painful to suffer through. Once the owls escaped from their captors it picks up quite a bit, but I don't have the patience to continue the series if the first half of this book is in any way an indication of what I have in store.

The reader's voices sucked as well. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 14, 2015 |
The book starts with the forest of Tyto, where the main character is born. He is pushed off a tree by his brother Kludd, and taken by owls from another kingdom. He is now an orphan, along with several other owl. They are being moonblinked (brainwashed), and need to escape. He meets another owl, and the two of them avoid being moonbliked. They meet another owl, and when meet, they figure she hasn't been moonblinked either. They continue and eventually escape.

I rated this book 3 and a half stars, due to the fact. that it didn't really fascinate me all that much. I was told it was a good book on several accasions, and thought it was an exaggeration. Although, as the story progresses, the plot becomes better, and better. I didn't find it boring, but I didn't find it interesting. If you read the book and enjoy it, you would be on the side of most people. If you think it's alright, you would side with me on this. ( )
  ethanw.b1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Finally finished reading this book to my son tonight. Amazing story. A joy to read out loud to him because the writing was very evocative and full of great imagery. I don't want to spoil any of the story, but I really liked the way everything went. There are a few surprises along the way, and if you read this book, be prepared for heartbreak. Lasky holds no punches when dealing with the storyline and all the repercussions. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
My kids and I were listening to the audio version of this, but my 4yo found it too scary, and there's not really a good time to listen to audiobooks without him around, so we tabled it. My 9yo read it (and the whole series) on her own and loved it, but I've decided to de-prioritize it for for myself for now.

So many books; so little time.
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
To Ann Reit, Wise Owl, Great Flight Instructor
Noctus, can you spare a bit more down, darling?

GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE is a classic hero mythology about the fight between good and evil. This series is filled with adventure, suspense, and heart.

In the first book in the GUARDIANS... series, the reader is introduced to Soren, a barn owl and the centerpiece of the series. When Soren is pushed from his family's nest by his older brother, he is rescued from certain death on the forest floor by agents from a mysterious school for orphaned owls, St. Aggie's. When Soren arrives at St. Aggie's, he suspects there is more to the school than meets the eye. He and his new friend, the clever and scrappy Gylfie, find out that St. Aggie's is actually a training camp where the school's leader can groom young owls to help achieve her goal--(cont.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

When Soren, a barn owl, arrives at St. Aggie's, a school for orphaned owls, he suspects trouble and with his new friend, a clever elf owl named Gylfie, embarks on a perilous journey to save all owls from the danger at St. Aggie's.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,471,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible