SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Cross Fire

by James Patterson

Series: Alex Cross (17)

Planning on finally tying the knot, Alex Cross has to put his wedding plans on indefinite hiatus when a crooked congressman and a shady lobbyist are assassinated in Washington, D. C. As he quarrels with FBI Agent Max Siegel over jurisdiction and control of the investigations, the murders continue and Alex realizes that the killer must be someone close to the case. To make matters worse, Kyle 'The Mastermind 'Craig has returned and will stop at nothing until Alex is dead.… (more)

Alex proposes marriage to Bree in a temporary lull in Washington DC, just as a pair of homicidal maniacs start killing unpopular people. Meanwhile, following his escape from a maximum security prison where he was serving a life sentence, the Mastermind (Kyle Craig) has plastic surgery and becomes an FBI investigator, intent to bring misery and possibly death to his nemesis, Alex Cross. 'nuff said. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Bit mundane really. Maybe I've read these characters too many times. Snipers, his family life just don't gell and the huntung down Crosses deadly enemy Kyle Graig dont seem plausible. ( )
  BryceV | Jun 25, 2021 |
Maybe it was the reading experience and circumstances that left me feeling this way, but I did not enjoy this Alex Cross book as much as others. My official rating would have to be something closer to 2.5-2.75*.

The plot was a good, fast paced one which left you wondering when Alex was going to catch the bad guy. There were multiple murder investigations going on at the same time and usually something like that wouldn't bother me, but I'm wondering if that was one aspect of the reading that kept the reading slow for me. Perhaps I was just in a bit of a slump towards the end of September.

I like that Kyle Craig came back in this book, but I didn't like the way everything wrapped up at the end concerning Kyle. It didn't feel true to what we all know about Kyle Craig's character. (That is all I'm going to say in order to not spoil anyone.)

I'm glad Alex finally found a woman to "settle down with and spend the rest of his life with" because those aspects of the Alex Cross series could start to feel a little old after a while - he couldn't seem to stay with a girl any longer than about two books.

I still enjoyed this Alex Cross book, but something about it towards the beginning of my read left things feeling a little lacking and I therefore couldn't bring myself to give it any more than 3 stars...

I'll see you again soon Alex! ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Decent enough Alex Cross Installment. I'm glad the Kyle Craig crap is over. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Alex's old nemesis, Kyle Craig is back... quick read. ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Scott Cowen, the president of Tulane University and a New Orleans hero, whose inspired leadership and Herculean efforts helped secure a brighter future for both Tulane and New Orleans after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
It had been months since Kyle Craig had killed a man.

A new killer strikes at the nation's capital as Alex Cross faces his oldest -- and most dangerous -- nemesis. Detective Alex Cross and Bree Stone's wedding plans are put on hold when Alex is called to the assassination scene of a dirty congressman and a corrupt lobbyist. Next, the elusive gunman picks off other crooked Washington, D.C., politicians, sparking a blaze of theories -- is he a hero or a vigilante? The case explodes, and the FBI assigns Agent Max Siegel to the investigation. As Alex battles Siegel over jurisdiction, the murders continue... and it becomes clear they're the work of a professional with insider information. Already in a lethal cross fire, Alex receives a call from his deadliest adversary, Kyle Craig. The Mastermind is in D.C. and vows to finally eliminate Cross and his family for good.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 031603617X, 1607886634, 1607886650, 031612043X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,338,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible