Holidays on Ice: Stories

by David Sedaris

A best-selling classic features six additional works on the joys and embarrassments of favorite holidays, in a volume that includes tales of tardy trick-or-treaters, the difficulties of explaining the Easter Bunny to another culture, and a barnyard Secret Santa scheme gone awry.

English (175)  German (2)  All languages (177)
low-level misanthrope ( )
  stravinsky | Dec 28, 2020 |
If you like your Christmas stories to be scathing commentaries of our hypocrisy and commercialism then Sedaris is your man. He does it ever so well. ( )
  quondame | Dec 26, 2020 |
Only one funny story - the first one. The rest were way too dark and mean and simply not funny. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
A bit uneven, but I would say that sixty percent is worth your time. I particularly enjoyed his autobiographical story about being a Santa’s elf at Macy’s in New York and a rather shocking Christmas letter. Enjoy the humor of this off kilter storyteller ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
A holiday classic for adults that should be returned to every year like "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" or "The Grinch" is for kids. If you have not heard him narrate the Santaland Diaries about his experience as a Macy's elf, then rush to NPR.org and look for the podcast. It is so funny and Christmas comes in second in this secular tale of the commercial reality of the biggest retail holiday of the year. Other pieces in here are also quite funny -- like "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" which is a parody of the Christmas newsletter when life is less than peachy. "Christmas Means Giving" is satire in the extreme as 2 families try to one-up each other in first their selfish and then their selfless approach to the holiday. Won't exactly put you in the holiday spirit, but will joke you out of the holiday stress and strife. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

FOR THOSE DREADING THE HOLIDAY SEASON, BESTSELLER SEDARIS (WHEN YOU ARE ENGULFED IN FLAMES) MAKES LIFE A LITTLE EASIER WITH THIS RE-RELEASE OF HIS UPROARIOUS ESSAY COLLECTION, NEWLY EXPANDED FROM THE ORIGINAL 1997 EDITION.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Oct 6, 2008)

Here are six Christmas tales sure to please readers new to humorist, playwright and NPR commentator Sedaris--and likely to disappoint his devotees.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 29, 1997)

Sedaris, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, Matteosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnuson, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, Irvingsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

Hachette Book Group

6 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316779237, 1586212222, 1570425671, 0316035904, 1600244874, 0316078913

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,852,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible