dismiss

Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

Holidays on Ice: Stories

by David Sedaris

A best-selling classic features six additional works on the joys and embarrassments of favorite holidays, in a volume that includes tales of tardy trick-or-treaters, the difficulties of explaining the Easter Bunny to another culture, and a barnyard Secret Santa scheme gone awry.
Recently added byrobnbrwn, szbuhayar, Jural, private library, LauraFed, Booksunknown23, Willidav, jostie13, CoryCravatta

English (170)  German (2)  All languages (172)
Santaland diaries gets 5 stars. The other stories just aren't as good. ( )
  szbuhayar | May 24, 2020 |
I may be in the minority when I admit that I had never read/listened to a David Sedaris book before; despite hearing wonderful things about him. So, when I decided to pick up Holidays on Ice, I was unsure what to expect. After finishing the collection, I’ve concluded that I, for the most part, enjoyed the essays - "Santaland Diaries" and "Six to Eight Black Men" are two stories that had me rolling with laughter.

However, there were also many essays and stories that were boring or slightly disturbing which put me off slightly - ie. "Seasons Greetings To Our Friends And Family!"

Overall, while wasn't entirely wowed by my first experience with David Sedaris, I didn't completely hate it. I reckon that I would be willing to bite the bullet and pick up another one of his books in the future. ( )
  Melzyrose90 | Jan 5, 2020 |
The first essay, SantaLand Diaries was particularly funny, and I was pleased as it indicated this was going to be as good as Me Talk Pretty One Day. But, as I carried on, the stories petered out a bit for me from there on. Season's Greetings to our Friends and Family!!! started out amusing, but there at the end when you find out the actual point to the letter, it was a bit horrific to say the least. I am hoping that Naked will be a little more the Sedaris I have come to love...

I borrowed it from Birdie, Thanks Ang! I loaned your dad Me Talk Pretty One Day. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
  JRCornell | Feb 5, 2019 |
This is the second [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg] book I've read today as I slowly work my way through his bibliography. I've always enjoyed some of his writing a great deal, but never really sat down to read it all. It's about time I changed that. Rereading [b: Holidays on Ice|4136|Holidays on Ice|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328330843s/4136.jpg|674383] was something I greatly looked forward to. I had a lot of fond memories of this book, not only for "Santaland Diaries" but also for "Six to Eight Black Men." Delightfully, there were even more goofy stories between the covers that got me laughing, and enjoying the writing all the more.

Unlike [b: Barrel Fever|4143|Barrel Fever Stories and Essays|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453273003s/4143.jpg|731] this was a much more solid collection. While a few of the stories were a bit "edgier" than others in terms of content, but this was altogether a less cynical volume than the first. The satire was more blatant and confident, and likewise, a heck of a lot funnier. I particularly enjoyed "Us and Them," "Jesus Shaves," and "Christmas Means Sharing." Indeed, "Dinah, The Christmas Whore" was surprisingly sweet, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol" had me laughing aloud.

All in all, this was an even better book than I remembered. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

FOR THOSE DREADING THE HOLIDAY SEASON, BESTSELLER SEDARIS (WHEN YOU ARE ENGULFED IN FLAMES) MAKES LIFE A LITTLE EASIER WITH THIS RE-RELEASE OF HIS UPROARIOUS ESSAY COLLECTION, NEWLY EXPANDED FROM THE ORIGINAL 1997 EDITION.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Oct 6, 2008)

Here are six Christmas tales sure to please readers new to humorist, playwright and NPR commentator Sedaris--and likely to disappoint his devotees.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 29, 1997)

Sedaris, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, Matteosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnuson, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, Irvingsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,223,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible