The Leaping by Tom Fletcher

The Leaping

by Tom Fletcher

This is such a weird book. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, beyond an instinctive liking. The fractured language, the way the world is presented - everthing just works for me.I'm not so sure it'd work for many other people though - after years and years of avid reading, much in the fantasy and horror genres, my tastes have become very specific. I guess that when you've read many thousands of books in your lifetime (I estimate around 10k plus from the age of 13) that you start craving books that at least try to do something interesting with language and plot, even if they don't entirely succeed. This tries, and I think it succeeds. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
I got to part 2 and decided that I could care less what happened to the characters, actually I kinda was rooting for the whatever was going to start killing them to start killing soon.
  wyvernfriend | Mar 12, 2011 |
The Leaping follows a close knit group of colleagues as a new love interest begins to fracture their friendship. As two of them start an off-kilter relationship they move to a semi-derelict house and the second half of the novel explores a potentially supernatural element from that locale. The Leaping keeps its cards very close to its chest and depending on the readers own interests within the horror genre the finales will either be a welcome twist or a bitter disappointment. The build up is first class whereas the second half is stilted with too many red herrings and an untidy action sequence. Fletcher has evidenced an ability to create really strong group dynamics and future works might be able to deliver that amongst a stronger plot - that would make a recommended read. ( )
1 vote SonicQuack | Jul 11, 2010 |
For Beth
The wind wakes me up in the early hours and I confuse the present with a memory; one summer, years ago, we were kept awake by the wind, because it was really strong, powerful.

Jack is stuck in a dead-end job in a sinister call-centre in Manchester. When the beautiful and rich Jennifer comes into his life he thinks he has finally found his ticket out of there. Trouble is his boss is interested in Jennifer too, and there is something strangely bestial about him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,475,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible