Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Fin-de-Siècle Vienna: Politics and Culture…

Fin-de-Siècle Vienna: Politics and Culture (1980)

by Carl E. Schorske

779717,878 (4)5

English (4)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
"Politics and culture" means that the author is relating developments in culture (art, architecture, literature, psychoanalysis and more) with each other as well as to the "liberal" ascendancy and then decline in the politics of Vienna and Austria-Hungary in the second half of the nineteenth century. The description of the interactions between political trends, cultural trends and different cultural manifestations (such as psychoanalysis and art) make for complexities that challenge the reader. Schorske often uses binary comparisons/contrasts to bring out the changes taking place (Schnitzler/von Hoffmanstahl, Sitte/Wagner, Schoenberg/Kokoschka). He also introduces the three political figures who led the movements which undercut liberal politics(Georg von Schoenerer/Pan-Germanism, Karl Lueger/Christian Socialism), and Herzl/Zionism)). It is a fascinating book well worth the investment of reading it, especially the long chapter on Klimt. The reader who wants some more background on Vienna itself could read the short work by Arthur May, Vienna in the Age of Franz Josef. ( )
2 vote drsabs | Jan 5, 2018 |
Tirando Freud, tudo me interessa: Scnitzler, von Hoffmansthal, Klimt, Art Nouveau em geral, Kokoschka, Shoenberg. A história do jardim de Shoenberg é fascinante. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Brilliant essays on the period. I only wish I had a stronger background in the history in order to better understand Schorske. ( )
  KimLarae | Jul 22, 2009 |
2526 Fin-de-Siecle Vienna Politics and Culture, by Carl E. Schorske (read 7 Aug 1993) (Pulitzer Nonfiction prize in 1981) For years I wanted to read this book, and finally got it thru inter-library loan. It surely was not what I expected. It is essentially seven articles discussing art, architecture, music, and politics in Austria before World War One. The blurb says it is a landmark book from one of the truly original scholars of our time, a significant revelation of turn-of-the-century Vienna where out of a crisis of political and social disintegration so much of modern art and thought was born. I found it a chore to read. I sure welcomed the last page. ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 19, 2008 |

A landmark book from one of the truly original scholars of our time: a magnificent revelation of turn-of-the-century Vienna where out of a crisis of political and social disintegration so much of modern art and thought was born.

"Not only is it a splendid exploration of several aspects of early modernism in their political context; it is an indicator of how the discipline of intellectual history is currently practiced by its most able and ambitious craftsmen. It is also a moving vindication of historical study itself, in the face of modernism's defiant suggestion that history is obsolete."

-- David A. Hollinger, History Book Club Review

"Each of [the seven separate studies] can be read separately....Yet they are so artfully designed and integrated that one who reads them in order is impressed by the book's wholeness and the momentum of its argument."

-- Gordon A. Craig, The New Republic

"A profound work...on one of the most important chapters of modern intellectual history" -- H.R. Trevor-Roper, front page, The New York Times Book Review

"Invaluable to the social and political historian...as well as to those more concerned with the arts" -- John Willett, The New York Review of Books

"A work of original synthesis and scholarship. Engrossing."

-- Newsweek

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible