Konin : A Quest by Theo Richmond

Konin : A Quest

by Theo Richmond

Finished it sometime before dawn (last night the 5th), followed directly after with the novel "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink. Both of which I am still digesting along with "Everything will be illuminated" - Safran Foer. I need sleep before I can write anything more..

Konin Jews were very proud of their library and the subject comes up many times in survivors accounts. There's a quote by Paul Johnson in his History of the Jews; "Pious Jews saw heaven as a vast library, with an archangel as the librarian", and I like that idea. Theo Richmond adds to it, "Hell has a library too. Two days after the Jews of Vilna were driven into the ghetto, they opened a library".

Don't know why I bother with using the update thingy...useless for correcting typos. Obviously I meant Ukraine, not Unkraine.

18.dec 2010 = found again, back on the to-read list.

Currently have misplaced this book somewhere...;( haven't finished it yet.

shelving it till it's found again. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
An incredibly emotional journey of a man looking to find his Jewish roots. He travels back to a town whose Jewish population was practically wiped out by the Nazis. ( )
  manyalibrarian | May 21, 2007 |
TBR
  miketroll | Feb 23, 2007 |

In 1939 the Polish town of Konin vanished in the wake of Nazi occupation. Twenty-five years later, Theo Richmond set out to find what he could about that vanished world. He traveled across the United States, Europe, and Israel, tracing survivors and sifting through archives and the stories of those he interviewed. A project he thought would take six months took seven years. Finally he confronted the Konin of today. Interweaving past and present, Konin tells the story of one community--how it began, how it flourished, and how it ended--and in the process re-creates the precariousness, anguish and necessity of human memory.

"A fascinating memorial to a lost community and the people who lived there."--The New York Times Book Review

"One reads [it] sometimes with a smile...always on the edge of tears--as if it were the most gripping adventure story."--Elie Wiesel, New York Newsday

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:25 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,795,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible