The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin

The Mountain Between Us

by Charles Martin

Stranded in a frigid mountain wilderness after a plane crash, a gifted surgeon and a young magazine writer are forced to rely on each other for survival while confronting painful truths about their personal lives.

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All languages (53)
If you like survival stories where so many convenient happenstance coalesce into a happy ending then you'll enjoy this story. It's an escapist, suspend your disbelief book. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
Martin's characters ring with genuine humanity, at times noble and selfish, and at other times weak and fiercely heroic. This story got to me because it felt so real. To survive a small plane crash in the mountains, two strangers have to trust each other and use every resource at hand.
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
This book was worth finishing, but it wasn't really for me. It centers on a plane crash in a remote part of Utah in winter so it is a story of survival. That part of it works fairly well. Clearly the author has done the research and given his characters plenty of obstacles to contend with, maintaining a believable balance between their successes and their inevitable failures. There were times when I questioned both the amazingly lucky knowledge and skill set of the main character and also the occasional strange gaps in his knowledge that didn't make sense given his profession as a surgeon. But I can forgive that. The survival story did get a little tedious at times, the descriptions of the characters' actions maybe a little too drawn out, but a reader more interested in wilderness survival than I am would probably appreciate the attention to detail. My biggest problem with the book came toward the end. The backstory of the main character and his wife (from whom he says he is separated) is revealed slowly, but at about 2/3 of the way through the novel it became obvious what the portion of his story left untold has to entail. So then when the grand reveal (which I won't spoil here) comes at the end it feels overwritten and a little unsatisfying. Still, I enjoyed rooting for the survivors to overcome the obstacles they faced in the aftermath of the plane crash and I felt their disappointments when their plans didn't always go well. ( )
  Sarah_Angleton | Aug 17, 2019 |
This is a survival story that at times is a bit hard to believe. There are very few people who would have the skills and the stamina to survive a plane crash at 11,500 feet and walk 75 miles through heavy snow towing another person who was severely injured. That said, it is also a touching love story.
  baughga | Feb 8, 2019 |
This is a story about Ben and Ashley, two strangers who charter a plane during a snowstorm to make it home to their partners. During the flight, the pilot has a heart attack and crashes in the wilderness, leaving Ben and Ashley stranded in miles of snowcapped mountain wilderness.

No offense, but I found this surprisingly good. I'm not one to read books in this genre and I wasn't sure how I would feel about it (or if I would even finish it). But, I did finish it and I liked it. Loved it even. I really enjoyed the theme of two people struggling to survive in the wilderness while also maintaining the main focus of Ben and his love for his wife. I recommend anybody picking this book up and giving it a read if you haven't already.

I want to thank Blogging For Books for this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BingeReader87 | Nov 17, 2018 |

Plane crash survivors
Find love. First, doctor must heal
His abnormal grief.
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,633,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible