The Shattered Lens

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians (4)

Fantasy. Juvenile Fiction. #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn series Brandon Sanderson continues the epic adventure he began in Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians. IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING! So, remember how I told you that the evil Librarians who control your world are trying to take over all the countries they don't let you know about—the Free Kingdoms? In the last book (you've read the first three, right?) I, Alcatraz Smedry, foiled a plot that would have seen the rulers of those countries giving up the kingdom of Mokia for the promise of a cease-fire (which the Librarians totally would have broken in a few years). That means the battle for Mokia continues, and it's up to me to somehow keep the Librarians from conquering it. That's going to be super hard, because they have a ton of soldiers and even giant robots, and their powerful weapons knock people unconscious. With the royal family of Mokia all in comas, suddenly that makes me acting king! All I have to fight back with are some teddy bears and my talent for breaking stuff. Plus the dubious contributions of my uncle, Kaz, who gets lost all the time, and my cousin Aydee, who is terrible at math. (We're doomed.) At least Bastille will always be there to get me out of trouble, right? Is my first day as king bound to be the last day of my life?… (more)

Winter 2020 (January);
Sanderson Syspean Challenge

(I'm playing catchup on around 20-30 books since January started, so this morning's books will likely be a bit of an overview looking back on series from two months ago.)

The Alcatraz series was an adorable romp to get into in December and finish through the beginning of January (which sets me up as ready to read the the 6th book in the series being published this year!!). I do find Alcatraz himself a little much at times, but I love the surrounding cast, and figuring out the Shemdry talents before they are explained. I love Bastille with the power of a million suns. I absolutely felt heart-shot at the spoiler of book five. As well, I always look forward to the 1-2 tongue-in-cheek, wholly correct references to/commentary on Harry Potter hidden in each of these books. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 27, 2022 |
Alcatraz discovers just what he can do with his breaking talent when he really tries. This installment finds our hero questioning who is really evil and good. He also gets to be king (sort of) and experiences the heavy burden that leadership brings. There are hilarious things going on with chapter numbering, as well as traps for those naughty people who read ahead! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 29, 2021 |
The "last" book in an unfinished series sets things up. It was a fun culmination to a hilarious series. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Don't even tell me this is the last book. Seriously, Sanderson? You couldn't be arsed to tear yourself away from the Wheel of Time series to give your own series a proper ending? Ugh. Which is a shame, since the fourth book is where Alcatraz grows up and learns that being in a war means making horrible decisions beyond your control and people die without you wanting them to and all the wartime issues geeks like me want in their fantasy. And then he rushed the hell out of the last two chapters and utterly killed the mood. He ended it on a cliffhanger! He has at least one more book left of story! How is this - I ask again - the last bloody book in the series?

Also, a lot of the 'meta' humor in the beginning of the book was seriously grating. It was amusing when it was subtle, but you can't layer those kinds of jokes on with a trowel and expect it to have the same effect.

Sanderson, great book, but I am slightly disappointed. Or maybe you'll make this right in the end, once you finish the WoT series and remember Alcatraz Smedry and his war against the librarians. Please do. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Another good book in the series. Leaves on cliff-hanger, and the book feels sort of like a filler. Looking forward to next book. ( )
  aarondesk | Feb 6, 2021 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brundage, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazo, HayleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,061,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible