The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

The Path of Daggers (1998)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (8)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All (43)
This was pretty close to a 4 rating... but I would be lying if I said I didn't have to draaaaag my attention across some parts.

This was the last book I read before I decided to drop the series til it was finished.

I have to admit having to wait out the gap between installments certainly had a lot to do with my deteriorating level of enthusiasm with the series on my first read through. Suffice to say on re-reads without the waiting between installments improved the ratings of the books considerably.

On to the next book... ooh, new shiny... I've not read Book Nine before... so I suppose this could be considered as picking up where I left off... ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Read September 2000
Re-read October 2011

Oct 2011 Review:
My initial remembrance of Path of Daggers is nothing happens and everyone is a bitch.

My reread confirms that, but with some very serious upgrades in like-ability. This was a setup book. Not a good book to read when first released, but when you've got the books after, you don't feel the pressure.

So many different storylines, lots of things happen but without resolving anything while introducing more questions. I had to make myself not immediately read the next book and wait until November. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I can't seem to get enough of this series! I am finally starting to like Egwene a little but I don't think she will ever be a favorite of mine. I can't stand Taim and I know that whole situation is going to blow up in Rand's face. Seems to have started to with this book. It's going to be really interesting when Rand has to face Min, Elayne, and Avienda!! And where the hell was Mat? I mean he is in a bad situation, I want to know what in the world is going on with him! I will definitely continue with the series :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Ah, so this is the book that starts the extremely boring stretch. At times I felt like I was reading someone's diary rather than an epic fantasy novel. Readers spend more time in the characters' heads than they do actually seeing any action, and I honestly couldn't care less about what every person in the world is thinking.

Rand is by far the most excrutiating person to read about. Jerk Rand + the Seanchan is just not a good combination. Those battles are so boring, and Rand is just no fun to be around, however sympathetic you are of his many, many burdens. I read most of his sections with glazed-over eyes, and it was only my stubbornness that kept me from skipping his pages entirely.

Elayne FINALLY makes it to Caemlyn after several chapters featuring her thoughts. All that succeeded in doing was making me want to murder those Aes Sedai, Kin, and Windfinders. Seriously, that group had too many power-hungry women for any normal person to be able to endure. Sadly, her plot line is only going to get worse. . . .

We don't see a lot of Perrin, which is just as well because he spends all of his time trying to figure out women, with occasional thoughts about Masema thrown in there. Perrin would be so much more likeable by so many people if Robert Jordan didn't force us to dwell with him on his every thought.

Egwene's story is the only plotline of the book that actually interested me. It's fascinating to watch her earn her title of Amyrlin Seat, and it is immensely gratifying to watch Romanda and Lelaine be heeled in. Why are all Aes Sedai incredibly annoying? Anyway, thank you, Egwene, for providing us something worth reading about.

However, even though at times reading this book was a bit tortuous, I appreciated that events seemed to move along fairly quickly, at least in comparison to the last book. After the Bowl of Winds sequence was wrapped up, we see the effects only a chapter later (thunder building in the distance), and within a few chapters everyone is complaining about the snow. It was quite a relief to actually see the results of an important event take place immediately, and to not have people still finding out about it 3 books later. The weather, at least, doesn't have to be bound by WoT's incapability to communicate. Sheesh.

I've never heard of an author who forced his devoted fans to endure so much crap but who still managed to keep hold of a huge fan base. That mystery will forever marvel me. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew CIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers. --Anonymous notation found inked in the margin of a manuscript history (believed to date to the time of Arthur Hawkwing) of the last days of the Tovan Conclaves

On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers. --Old Sanchan saying
For Harriet
My light, my love, my heart,
forever
Ethenielle had seen mountains lower than these misnamed Black Hills, great lopsided heaps of half-buried boulders, webbed with steep twisting passes.

All’orizzonte si profila la minaccia di una nuova invasione del mondo da parte dei Seanchan, una razza di conquistatori il cui arsenale comprende rettili volanti cavalcati da uomini, e schiave dalle abilità magiche più potenti dei soldati più forti, molti dei quali si sono uniti all’esercito dei Seanchan spinti dalla paura che suscita in loro il Drago Rinato. La magia di Rand al’Thor continua a mettere in pericolo le persone a lui care, accrescendo il timore di essere condannato a distruggere chiunque ami. Egwene intanto continua a consolidare il proprio potere come ‘vera’ Amyrlin, avvicinandosi sempre più a Tar Valon e all’inevitabile confronto con Elaida.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550293, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan's bestselling Wheel of Time epic is one of the most popular fantasy series of all time for a reason. Jordan's world is rich and complex, and he's assembled an endearing, involving core of characters while mapping out an ambitious and engaging story arc.

But with the previous book, Crown of Swords, and now with Path of Daggers, the series is in a bit of a holding pattern. Path continues the halting gait of the current plot line: Rand is still on the brink of losing it, all the while juggling the political machinations around him and again taking to the field against the Seanchan. The rest of the Two Rivers kids and company don't seem to be moving much faster. Egwene continues to slowly consolidate her hold as the "true" Amyrlin (finally getting closer to Tar Valon and the inevitable confrontation with Elaida), and Nynaeve and Elayne keep on wandering toward the Lion Throne, again on the run from the Seanchan. Mat Cauthon is barely mentioned, and fellow ta'veren Perrin keeps busy with politics in Ghealdan. The ending does provide promise, though, that book nine might match the pace and passion of the previous books.

If you're already hooked, you could sooner overcome a weave of Compulsion than avoid picking up a copy of Path of Daggers. But if you're new to the series, start at the beginning with the engrossing, much-better-paced Eye of the World. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

After Nynaeve and his friends conquer the Seanchan forces they travel to Caemyln to reclaim the throne, but on their way they encounter enemies more powerful than they imagined, and they may have to sacrifice their lives to save the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,110,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible