The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

The Path of Daggers (1998)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (8)

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
The Path of Daggers is the eighth book in The Wheel of Time. I enjoyed it as much as the previous books. I sound like a broken record, but maybe that's appropriate for a series called The Wheel of Time...

Quite a few small and not-so-small threads made some significant progress and there were several things I particularly enjoyed reading about. If I didn’t have the next book queued up and ready to go, I might have complained that I wanted to spend more time with some of the different storylines. So much is going on that there really wasn’t much time for each storyline within the “mere” 669 pages. That’s 200-400 pages shorter than each of the last four books, after all!

My spoiler-filled comments are enclosed in the tags below. These are just random comments about some of the things I enjoyed or that stuck out to me.
The Bowl of the Winds finally got used and now everybody can stop sweating and start shivering! I was also happy to see Elayne get back home to start dealing with the business of taking the throne. I wonder how long that plot line will take to reach resolution…

I liked it when Morgase ran into Perrin’s party. I never expected that, and it will be interesting if/when he finds out who she is. Assuming the ones who were captured by the Shaido get free, or get rescued by Perrin, of course, and they all manage to meet back up. And if Masema doesn’t cause even more trouble. This was one of the storylines I wanted to spend more time in.

I also liked Elyas’ appearance and would have liked to see more of him, but at least he managed to use his few pages wisely with advice for Perrin that will hopefully help Perrin handle his annoying wife. Initial results seem promising. :)

But seriously, what’s with Berelain wearing revealing clothes when Perrin’s around and modest clothes when he’s not? They’re traveling, for goodness’ sake; it’s not like she has infinite luggage space! Are we really supposed to believe she packed different types of clothes so she could dress differently depending on Perrin’s presence?

I really enjoyed seeing Egwene’s plotting and schemes come to fruition as she maneuvered the Aes Sedai into giving her more power as the Amyrlin, at least on war-related decisions. I look forward to finding out what happens now that they’re headed through the gate to the White Tower.

I was also really engrossed in the itsy bitsy storyline that started in the previous book with Seaine and Pevara trying to root out the black ajah in the white tower. Very few pages have been devoted to it, but I was enjoying it, especially once they started using the oath rod. I hope it continues on in some fashion despite whatever happens between the White Tower and Egwene’s group.

Logain finally showed back up too, but so, so briefly. I hope to learn more about what’s going on with him in the next book. I’ve been expecting the Asha’man to cause trouble from the beginning, but I was caught by surprise when several of them suddenly attempted to kill Rand near the end. I hadn’t been expecting the trouble right then, but I guess I should have been expecting some sort of battle at the end of the book since that seems to be the norm. I’m wondering if there’s a deeper plot there, possibly involving Taim, or if it really was just a few rebels. I'm expecting more trouble!

Mat and Thom were both completely missing from this book, which was a little annoying considering they were in jeopardy at the end of the previous book. Hopefully we’ll see them in the next book.
1 vote YouKneeK | Jan 23, 2018 |
In this 8th installment of the Wheel of Time the story finally begins to advance again - starts to, which is an improvement, though really not a radical advancement. I had a chance to read this again recently and it is one of the better books in the series. While there are still many plot lines, mysterious people who may or may not be Forsaken; so many White Tower sisters, rebel sisters, Windfinders and Aiel elders, Lord of this and that country its hard to keep track, especially with so many similar names. However the complexity is worth it and the story is finally starting to move towards the great conclusion, even if it is 5 5 books away!
Complex, sophisticated, inventive and really a masterpiece of fantasy. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 24, 2017 |
This was pretty close to a 4 rating... but I would be lying if I said I didn't have to draaaaag my attention across some parts.

This was the last book I read before I decided to drop the series til it was finished.

I have to admit having to wait out the gap between installments certainly had a lot to do with my deteriorating level of enthusiasm with the series on my first read through. Suffice to say on re-reads without the waiting between installments improved the ratings of the books considerably.

On to the next book... ooh, new shiny... I've not read Book Nine before... so I suppose this could be considered as picking up where I left off... ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Read September 2000
Re-read October 2011

Oct 2011 Review:
My initial remembrance of Path of Daggers is nothing happens and everyone is a bitch.

My reread confirms that, but with some very serious upgrades in like-ability. This was a setup book. Not a good book to read when first released, but when you've got the books after, you don't feel the pressure.

So many different storylines, lots of things happen but without resolving anything while introducing more questions. I had to make myself not immediately read the next book and wait until November. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I can't seem to get enough of this series! I am finally starting to like Egwene a little but I don't think she will ever be a favorite of mine. I can't stand Taim and I know that whole situation is going to blow up in Rand's face. Seems to have started to with this book. It's going to be really interesting when Rand has to face Min, Elayne, and Avienda!! And where the hell was Mat? I mean he is in a bad situation, I want to know what in the world is going on with him! I will definitely continue with the series :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew CIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers. --Anonymous notation found inked in the margin of a manuscript history (believed to date to the time of Arthur Hawkwing) of the last days of the Tovan Conclaves

On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers. --Old Sanchan saying
For Harriet
My light, my love, my heart,
forever
Ethenielle had seen mountains lower than these misnamed Black Hills, great lopsided heaps of half-buried boulders, webbed with steep twisting passes.

All’orizzonte si profila la minaccia di una nuova invasione del mondo da parte dei Seanchan, una razza di conquistatori il cui arsenale comprende rettili volanti cavalcati da uomini, e schiave dalle abilità magiche più potenti dei soldati più forti, molti dei quali si sono uniti all’esercito dei Seanchan spinti dalla paura che suscita in loro il Drago Rinato. La magia di Rand al’Thor continua a mettere in pericolo le persone a lui care, accrescendo il timore di essere condannato a distruggere chiunque ami. Egwene intanto continua a consolidare il proprio potere come ‘vera’ Amyrlin, avvicinandosi sempre più a Tar Valon e all’inevitabile confronto con Elaida.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550293, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan's bestselling Wheel of Time epic is one of the most popular fantasy series of all time for a reason. Jordan's world is rich and complex, and he's assembled an endearing, involving core of characters while mapping out an ambitious and engaging story arc.

But with the previous book, Crown of Swords, and now with Path of Daggers, the series is in a bit of a holding pattern. Path continues the halting gait of the current plot line: Rand is still on the brink of losing it, all the while juggling the political machinations around him and again taking to the field against the Seanchan. The rest of the Two Rivers kids and company don't seem to be moving much faster. Egwene continues to slowly consolidate her hold as the "true" Amyrlin (finally getting closer to Tar Valon and the inevitable confrontation with Elaida), and Nynaeve and Elayne keep on wandering toward the Lion Throne, again on the run from the Seanchan. Mat Cauthon is barely mentioned, and fellow ta'veren Perrin keeps busy with politics in Ghealdan. The ending does provide promise, though, that book nine might match the pace and passion of the previous books.

If you're already hooked, you could sooner overcome a weave of Compulsion than avoid picking up a copy of Path of Daggers. But if you're new to the series, start at the beginning with the engrossing, much-better-paced Eye of the World. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

After Nynaeve and his friends conquer the Seanchan forces they travel to Caemyln to reclaim the throne, but on their way they encounter enemies more powerful than they imagined, and they may have to sacrifice their lives to save the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,006,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible