dismiss

The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

The Path of Daggers (1998)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (8)

Sequel to A crown of swords opens to find the Seanchan invasion force in possession of Ebou Dar.

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
I really liked this entry in the Wheel of Time series. Even though we didn't see Rand until ~300 pages in, I really liked seeing what was happening with Elayne, Nynaeve, Brigitte and Lan and the Kin from Ebou Dar, Egwene marching with the rebel Aes Sedai, and Perrin and Faile in Ghealdan. And then Rand appears with a mis-matched army anchored with the Asha'man ready to go to war against the Seanchan with their collared women who can channel. It was really evenly-paced, except for the surprise ending as the Shaido kidnap some of Perrin's folks. ( )
  LisaMorr | Dec 11, 2019 |
Book 8, the first of the second half of Wheel of Time. This felt more like setting up for new plot lines than anything, with the typical middle filler that has been the norm since at least book 5. Fortunately the shorter length of the books has made this more bearable, but entire chapters spent on trudging through snow bog down the narrative. The beginning and ending chapters once again redeem the slow middle. Mixed in are some POV chapters of various antagonists which were another highlight.

Sorry Mat fans, he is only mentioned in passing a couple times. Despite leaving him with a cliffhanger at the end of book 7, he gets no POV chapters. Perrin doesn't get much either. Some maneuvering to deal with the prophet, and tying his story to Maighdin (wasn't hard to figure out who she is) and he only gets to meet the prophet face to face at the last chapter in a cliffhanger. While this is happening, another plot thread is started for him.

Rand's chapters are better as we get to watch the man who is supposed to save the world slip further into madness. While dealing the Seanchans' second invasion, his actions in battle cause his followers to question their faith in him. Strangely, despite Rand's growing paranoia, he still maintains a blind spot for Taim.

The consequences of Elaida's blundering are coming out, especially her miscalculation of the Black Tower. The rebels began to make their move at the end, but its been obvious the White Tower hasn't had unity for some time. Egwene's chapters deal with the intrigue in the rebel camp. Her political acumen is impressive for someone so inexperienced. Though, it helps that her opponents underestimate her and work against each other.

The other girls are also setting up new plot threads. The scenes at the beginning using the Bowl were fun to read, though I felt they should have done that at the end of book 7. These chapters do have a frustrating element: grown women who have high positions in their societies tend to act like cliquish teenagers. At least it causes observers to question just how omnipotent the Aes Sedai really are.

In short: A solid start, a strong finish, and a mostly dull middle. The dull middle is more bearable since the book is short, but you can't help but notice the story buckling under its own weight. ( )
  High_Enginseer | Nov 12, 2019 |
This book started out a bit weaker than the others, but picked up a lot over the course of the book. The ending came a bit unexpected, and I am happy that I will not have to wait another year for the next book, but can just start on the next audiobook right away.

I stand by my assessment that this is not the best fantasy series I have ever read, but the quality still makes it well worth reading. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
The eighth novel in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series was an especially difficult novel to get through. More than once it had me asking if this painful, dull, long-winded affair is worth continuing. I have invested so much time in the series that I have to continue forging forward and hope that it will at some point get better. The bottom line about this book is there are a whole lot of words (and I mean a whole lot) but very little actually happens. At times I felt like screaming at my book, “Get on with it already.” Instead the book plodded forward with the only interesting things happening at the very end.

In this novel, Rand is at odds with the Seanchans, who seek to destroy him. Rand, meanwhile, appears to be going through a crisis, dealing with his magic and the fracturing of his mind. Mat is barely in this novel, which suffers as a result. Perrin’s storyline as he deals with politics in Ghealdan, isn’t terribly compelling. I was a little more interested in Egwene dealing with being the Amyrlin and having to deal with the split at Tar Valon. It was a bit painful, but like me, if you’ve read all of the books until now, you have reached the point of no return.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | May 26, 2019 |
This book felt a bit long in spite of my liking the slow pace. But this series still has me hooked! ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew CIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers. --Anonymous notation found inked in the margin of a manuscript history (believed to date to the time of Arthur Hawkwing) of the last days of the Tovan Conclaves

On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers. --Old Sanchan saying
For Harriet
My light, my love, my heart,
forever
Ethenielle had seen mountains lower than these misnamed Black Hills, great lopsided heaps of half-buried boulders, webbed with steep twisting passes.

All’orizzonte si profila la minaccia di una nuova invasione del mondo da parte dei Seanchan, una razza di conquistatori il cui arsenale comprende rettili volanti cavalcati da uomini, e schiave dalle abilità magiche più potenti dei soldati più forti, molti dei quali si sono uniti all’esercito dei Seanchan spinti dalla paura che suscita in loro il Drago Rinato. La magia di Rand al’Thor continua a mettere in pericolo le persone a lui care, accrescendo il timore di essere condannato a distruggere chiunque ami. Egwene intanto continua a consolidare il proprio potere come ‘vera’ Amyrlin, avvicinandosi sempre più a Tar Valon e all’inevitabile confronto con Elaida.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,246,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible